Red Flyer at Oshkosh2015

MsChrissi

Everything looks great and I understand just how much time and money goes into a project of this nature but respectfully, personally I'd be a little concerned with the rear ground clearance.

Was that really your intent to have it that low to the ground?

Again, respectfully,

Cee

Cee, welcome to the forum and keep asking the questions, that's why this forum is here.

HDTs, these days pretty much all have air suspensions and they all leak air over time and settle down to the stops. Volvos, like the one in the pictures have 4 1/2 inches of suspensions travel from fully aired up to fully down on the stops (over the axles), which gets the truck pretty close to the ground in the rear. The truck will automatically air up when you start it and you can't drive it off until everything is "proper".

Geo,

Your post is completely outdated.... ;-)

Story of my life. Red Flyer sure is beautiful.

George,
Suzuki Celerio 998cc

Yamaha NMAX scooter

Work ride is Western Star N2 Tri-Tri tanker at 56,500kg loaded

Story of my life. Red Flyer sure is beautiful.

Red Flyer is sure pretty.....assuming one likes trucks. The details in her are what is impressive to me.

As to the posting on the forum....it is hard to "see" all the cues of body language, etc with the written word. Few people here are defensive or sensitive....those that are tend to drift away. My take on things is to always assume people have the best of intentions posting. Only when they are clearly trolling or attacking do things become an issue. And we have "ways of dealing with" those circumstances. :) Which are rare. So my advice is to not read anything into what people "say"....and to assume that everyone is friendly and helpful.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I have a close friend who has an agreement with me to never discuss anything meaningful via email because we read each others emails in exactly the wrong way even though he says imagine me with a big grin on my face as you read this... always ends in an argument yet face to face we never have a single misunderstanding.

(4) 100 watt panels arrived yesterday, now I need to come up with a simple portable rack for 4 across, rack will look sort of like a # sign. We will not be storing the panels on the roof. They will be put in custom sewn sleeves made from moving blankets when not in use. So, rack needs to be like an erector set, extrusions and maybe some speed knobs or snap together. Whole thing will clamp on to handrail (1" dia x .065" wall stainless tubes) up on roof perimeter.

Oh, we got one of those $99 portable ice makers at Lowes... first cubes dropped in 7 minutes, changed to large cubes, takes 14 minutes. Rated at 1.5A but think it draws about 1A, perfect for solar and camping because we make a daily trip offsite for cheaper ice, the other load will be a refrigerator so less ice needed. We'll detail the solar installation once it starts taking shape.

Currently working on the electrical cabinet which opens like a door to give access to backside of all panels, displays etc. 99% of the control and switching takes place here. The batteries, inverter, charger, solar controller etc are in the rear, this panel is up front by the entrance.

Cee, look at the first pic on this thread, the Bigfoot lifts are down but supporting the RV in approximately the normal height, hope that gives a better impression of height?

Oops, on second thought, I had dropped the rear down a few inches to slant the rain runoff to the rear and left to go out the gutter we snap on in the LR corner, so it is about 2 maybe 3 inches low back there.

Do you have a link to the ice maker, I love my ice cubes.

Why do I have visions of the avionics bay of a 727 with regards to your "electrical cabinet" :D

Oh, we got one of those $99 portable ice makers at Lowes... first cubes dropped in 7 minutes, changed to large cubes, takes 14 minutes. Rated at 1.5A but think it draws about 1A, perfect for solar and camping because we make a daily trip offsite for cheaper ice, the other load will be a refrigerator so less ice needed. We'll detail the solar installation once it starts taking shape.

Currently working on the electrical cabinet which opens like a door to give access to backside of all panels, displays etc. 99% of the control and switching takes place here. The batteries, inverter, charger, solar controller etc are in the rear, this panel is up front by the entrance.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Steve, I screwed up, Lowes and Home Depot had them for awhile around $99, their sale ended, we got this in Sam's club:

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/ice-maker-chrome-in-club-item-109268/prod15630035.ip

Keep in mind this is small, it does not keep the ice it makes cold (though it is insulated) so when the tray fills up it shuts off until the excess is cleared, otherwise ice eventually melts and drips back into the reservoir blow the ice, which helps chill the water supply and eventually makes the cubes bigger per cycle. It is pretty nifty. Plug it in and fill with water when you arrive and by the time you are finished setting things up and have your deck chairs out you can drop a handful of cubes in your first drink.

I need to come up with a simple portable rack for 4 across, rack will look sort of like a # sign. We will not be storing the panels on the roof. They will be put in custom sewn sleeves made from moving blankets when not in use. So, rack needs to be like an erector set, extrusions and maybe some speed knobs or snap together. Whole thing will clamp on to handrail (1" dia x .065" wall stainless tubes) up on roof perimeter.

Take a look at some of the folding gates that folks use to keep dogs and kids locked out of a room, also at some of the folding clotheslines. You might get an inspiration on making your rack fold-able with just a single latch or knob to hold it in place.

Another interesting option would be to use Rivnuts, just a couple quick examples. I have an Astro riveter and am quite happy with it and they have several rivnut setters on Amazon.

tool: http://smile.amazon.com/Astro-Pneumatic-Tool-1427-Rivet/dp/B004KLVJAA/ref=sr_1_2?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439502828&sr=1-2&keywords=rivnuts

stainless nut inserts: http://smile.amazon.com/25pcs-Rivnut-Insert-Nutsert-Rn132e/dp/B00X1AM28E/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1439502828&sr=1-4&keywords=rivnuts

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

MsChrissi, I don't get it?? ....... I mean what is there to be 'Defensive' about??? I just respectfully asked a question about ground clearance.

Best be careful MsC...you'll be getting a reputation like mine :lol::D:lol:

BTW: Red Flyer is looking GREAT :wub:

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Archived