How to decide: Should you upgrade to Windows 10?

RV_

This is a great article and I agree with almost every word of it, I will excerpt what looks like the gist of it but the recommendation summary does not have the great why paras in the article so do read it.

Excerpt:

"Recommendation summary
The following set of recommendations are weighted by the assumption that you're updating (or considering updating) before Windows 10 stops being a free update. That said, most of the following choices are still relevant, just factor in the cost component if you're reading this sometime in the future.

•If you're buying a new PC: Go ahead and get it with Windows 10. Windows 8 and 8.1 machines are about to become ghosts.

•If you're buying a Windows 8 or 8.1 PC and looking for bargains: Probably too much work to buy an 8 or 8.1 machine and upgrade to Windows 10. There might be driver and compatibility issues. That said, if you want to be frugal and can live with the probable pain, go for it.

•If you're buying a PC with Windows 7: If you're buying a Windows 7 machine now, it's because you want Windows 7.

• If you're building a new PC: You'll want Windows 10, especially if you want to do cool things with games and VR.

•If you're running Windows RT: Toss it in the trash and buy yourself a useful machine. There might be a chance you can upgrade to Windows 10, but you'll probably run into storage and other hassles.

•If you're running real Windows 8 or 8.1 on a traditional PC: Upgrade right away. Windows 8 and 8.1 are about become forgotten to history.

•If you're running Windows 8 or 8.1 on a tablet: Probably best to stick with 8.1. If you're running Windows 8, move to 8.1. Windows 10 might work, but it might not be worth the risk.

•If you're running Windows 7: Unless you absolutely love one of the Windows 10 new features (most notably Cortana or the gaming features), you should stick with Windows 7. I'm not upgrading my Windows 7 machines.

•If you're running Vista: Find thee a dumpster.

•If you're running XP: Look, you know who you are and why you're still running XP. You should stop, but you're not going to, are you?"

all the verbiage resulting in that excerpt and the whys of it are here: http://www.zdnet.com/article/how-to-decide-should-you-upgrade-to-windows-10/?tag=nl.e589&s_cid=e589&ttag=e589&ftag=TREc64629f

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

RV

What are they saying? If you like your Windows 7 you can keep your Windows 7? I have heard something like this before I think but it turned out not to be true! Given the fact that I have not played with Windows 10 I am not sure what I might be missing? Are you going to upgrade your Win 7 Pro Machines? I am not a gamer so will I enjoy the experience?

Dennis

USA Master Sergeant Ret.

Dennis,

You really need to read the article because it may pop out some scenarios that don't apply to me. What you can do with Windows 7 is create an image and a repair/boot disk of the system as it is now. Then clone the drive to another HFD or SSD. That leaves you with the computer running 7 on a new drive that is a clone of the original drive now safe and out of the computer. As well on your external drive you have the image. Then just upgrade and use it for a while. If you don't like it then just reimage it back to 7 and if that has any issues just pop in the clone. Whatever you decide you should have an external drive for imaging anyway, and a clone of each drive to revert. Plus you have all your data from the original Win 7 Hard drive and system. So you can try it and go back if you don't like 10. The Windows 8/8.1 folks like some of mine are not going to be as easy to do that as with Win 7.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

YW bud!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I've been running Windows 10 insider builds on my Surface Pro 3 for months. Love it and have had zero issues with drivers. The latest build is the best. I'm moving everything from Windows 8.1 at home as soon as 10 is released this month. At work I use Windows 7 and now find it limiting.

There has been a lot of talk about the future of Windows RT, which my wife uses on the Surface 2. So far Microsoft is only saying they are doing an upgrade in September which so far might only be adding the start menu. Personally, if you like RT, which my wife does, then keep it till it no longer works. I don't agree with the article on that point.

Mark from Missouri

Our Future in an RV

2018 Ram 3500 Laramie Dually LB 6.7L HO Diesel Aisin Transmission 4x4 3.73 Gears

2019 Vanleigh Vilano 320GK 35’ fifth wheel 16,000-pound GVWR

Derek, do you have any idea how big of a download Windows 10 will be? I only have 15GB per month data and I have been coming close to using 10 GB each month, so don't have much data left over to do a huge download.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

5 machines x 3GB = 15GB, so I better handle it on a family members unlimited internet. But it might only be 3 machines since one is running 7 and another is an old machine running 8.1 that doesn't get the upgrade icon on the lower right for some reason. I might switch the one that doesn't want to upgrade to be the machine running VMSpc, to monitor my diesel engine while traveling.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I'm going to be a Win 10 fan just because it isn't Win 8 or 8.1

But....

I was reading a couple of articles over this past weekend that leads me to believe the "free" version of Win 10 is basically the open beta test version. You MUST be willing to let Microsoft receive automated reports on your system's performance, any crashes or conflicts, etc. without your further approval -- this authorization is in the EULA.

The final retail release of Win 10 is expected to be many months away.

All that said, I'm not upgrading to Win 10 on my office desktop PC until it goes retail but I already have a reservation for the upgrade on my laptop.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I will do the Win 10 upgrade on my newest Acer Computer I bought this past June! The old Gateway has Win 7 Home with the 8 GBs of mem. and 1 TB HD. and the Old Vista Acer has 3 GB mem with a 180GB HD has Win 7 Ultimate I will leave as is!

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

Is windows10 going to be compatible with Office2007??? I love that and it is running fine on my 8.1. However I hate 8.1. My family computer guru says I'll be much happier with 10

Ron & Linda

Class of 2007
2000 Monaco Diplomat

2005 Honda Element

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are" Theodore Roosevelt

"We can't control the wind, but we can adjust our sail"

"When man gave up his freedom to roam the earth, he gave up his soul for a conditioned ego that is bound by time and the fear of losing its attachments."

I have 8.1 Lenovo tablet. They just sent me an email to make certain that I upgrade.However, the upgrades have been coming so often over the past months that I suspect that most of the code for Win 10 has already been downloaded. Just a guess, do not know.

Safe Travels!

SKP #89742 - Lifetime membership - Member of the SKP Class of 2007
Good Sam Club - Lifetime Member
DataStorm #5423
Passport America - Lifetime Member
Sons Of The American Revolution (SAR) - Lifetime Member
American Legion - USAF - Lifetime Member
Rotary Club Member - 30 years

Escapee CARE Supporter

National Wildlife Refuge Volunteer

I just received an email from MS with these links, which answer most relevant questions:

Windows 10 FAQ

Windows 10 specifications

I noticed this too:

"When you reserve, you can confirm your device is compatible with Windows 10. Between reservation and when your upgrade is ready, the files you need for the upgrade will be downloaded to your PC to make the final installation go more quickly. Then, when your upgrade is ready after July 29, 2015, you get a notification that lets you get started with your upgrade."

Apparently I'm already getting downloads for WIN 10.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

If I were a PC user I'd give Linux a try before switching to Windows 10.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/only-remaining-barrier-entry-linux-154325962.html

---ron

I've done that already, not my cup O tea.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I just read that you will be able to set W10 to not do automatic downloads on a metered connection.

That's a biggie for some of us!

I've heard both ways, Popeye, so it's definitely something I'd like to know for sure. You're right, for those on metered connections, updates can be a real and significant issue.

I agree Brian. I just went to my usage for my cable Internet and we used 59GB of our 250GB allowed @ 50/2mbps speed. 10 GB was in one day when I did all the updates for two Windows 7 laptops I factory restored and that took all day for a full day. That was the same day I was doing Windows updates on three tablets, one Windows 7 desktop one Windows 8.1 desktop, and the Windows 7 desktop I factory restored the same day in addition to the two laptops and sold.

Regardless I may be doing cellular Internet for the next six weeks so will really have to conserve. We will be using two tablets and two laptops for that period. Our two primary desktops will be stored in the shed for that time. If we get Internet then we will use our current modem and router in the trailer.

I do hope that Windows 10 has controls like now where I can select to be alerted to updates but not download or install until I manually do it, as I can do on Windows 7 and 8.1.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I only have one Windows 7 machine left and it is the one I am typing on. This morning Windows Update ran and used about 3.3GB. Windows Update and the "Get Windows 10" are still prompting me to "Reserve my free upgrade", but I suspect it still downloading the upgrade. The Windows 8 machines all have my wifi marked as "Metered", hopefully that will save us.

Edit: This machine is the one I don't want to upgrade. It has at least one driver that won't work and some applications that might not work.

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

I just read on CRN that Microsoft has a tool caleed "show or hide" that was used on beta 10240 that was used to block updates; software and driver updates! Wish I had the URL to point to the Article. I googled Window 10 upgrade options and located it from there.

:) Living Life One Day At A Time!

My issues with Windows 10. The big elephant is not whether to upgrade to Windows 10, but the question about switching to Mac, Linux, or Chrome.

•If you're running Windows 7: Unless you absolutely love one of the Windows 10 new features (most notably Cortana or the gaming features), you should stick with Windows 7. I'm not upgrading my Windows 7 machines.

That fits my plans. Don't fix what is not broken.

•If you're running Vista: Find thee a dumpster.

The only reason I am keeping from Vista machine is that it will record streaming audio. The Windows 7 machines have had this feature disabled by request of the music corporations. So until I find a way to record audio programs on my laptop.....the machine stays. Boy, I would love to dump it!!!

•If you're running XP: Look, you know who you are and why you're still running XP. You should stop, but you're not going to, are you?"

What, I just upgraded these machines from Windows 2000!!! They run my telescope and camera's in the observatory. Swapping these machines out will require several thousand dollars in new software and hardware unrelated to the computer.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

What, I just upgraded these machines from Windows 2000!!! They run my telescope and camera's in the observatory. Swapping these machines out will require several thousand dollars in new software and hardware unrelated to the computer.

The very concerns of the members of this forum, So this was so important to the discussion.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Telescope?? Observatory??? If you'd care to elaborate about those a little more, I'd find it quite interesting. :) I had a small (4.5") home built reflector telescope that I got from one of the science teachers in high school and had that for something close to about 20 years until it finally got broken beyond repair. Never got another one but occasionally think I'd like to find one again someday, maybe of a little more size. Never enough extra $$ that I have no use for...

I have one laptop that's about two years old and runs the dreaded Windows 8. I'll probably upgrade to Windows 10 because nothing, nothing can be worse than Windows 8. After the upgrade, I'll put it back in the cabinet by the dining table and continue to use my Macbook Pro. Really spent years putting down Apple products but, now I have one and wonder why I waited so long.

Note, every operating system, cell phone company, and cable/satellite TV provider sucks at one time or another. I just think my Macbook Pro sucks a little less.

2019 Jayco 5th Wheel 28.5RSTS  2017 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2L

Archived