How to decide: Should you upgrade to Windows 10?

RV_

I have one laptop that's about two years old and runs the dreaded Windows 8. I'll probably upgrade to Windows 10 because nothing, nothing can be worse than Windows 8.

I may be missing something about the 8.1 I don't know about. I have a Desktop & a Laptop with the 8.1.

What is the dreaded/worse part with it? Both have worked just as good as my W7 Desktop especially after I put Classic start on them.

What is so bad about the 8 OS that I am missing? They do start up a little faster then the W7, but that is a plus to me.

But I have shut off all the background junk from using data for info I don't need in both of them.

What is the W10 going to improve over the 8.1 that is needed? Or the 8.1's can't do? I don't do any on line gaming at all.

Full Time since Oct. 1999
99 Discovery 34Q DP | ISB
Datastorm | VMSpc | Co-Pilot Live | Pressure Pro
2014 MKS Twin Turbo V6 365 HP Toad
369070033.jpg

I have one laptop that's about two years old and runs the dreaded Windows 8. I'll probably upgrade to Windows 10 because nothing, nothing can be worse than Windows 8. After the upgrade, I'll put it back in the cabinet by the dining table and continue to use my Macbook Pro. Really spent years putting down Apple products but, now I have one and wonder why I waited so long.

Note, every operating system, cell phone company, and cable/satellite TV provider sucks at one time or another. I just think my Macbook Pro sucks a little less.

You must update to windows 8.1 before you can install windows 10. "Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own". That is from windows 10 FAQ webpage in gray near page bottom.

No rush, you have a year from making your windows 10 reservation to download it and install.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

You must update to windows 8.1 before you can install windows 10. "Windows 10 Upgrade Offer is valid for qualified Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 devices, including devices you already own"

I am in the process of upgrading from Windows 7 directly to Windows 10 at this moment. You have to be current on all the Windows 7 updates but you do not have to upgrade to Windows 8 first.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

• 3 weeks later...

I have an older Windows 7 laptop and did the update. I will advise people who on metered data, REMAIN ON WINDOWS 7. I normally use about 8 GB but went 13 GB for the month when I updated.. Looking at my present data date usage i will be locked in about $40 a month additional data usage charges.

Secondly the games that I always played off line are gone but they are available online and I down;load very few things if the use agreement takes more than 10 minutes to read.

I don't have room for the old XP computer so no Games at this time but I'm trying to use the Droid phone more for data

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Speaking of Windows I have a question. I don't want to hijack this thread but couldn't figure out where to put it.

I received a call this morning from someone saying they were from Windows and that they weren't selling anything but I had infections that were corrupting my Windows and therefore my computer. I told him I didn't even know where he was calling from and wasn't comfortable discussing this subject and that I was hanging up.

An hour later someone from area code 509 the state of Washington called saying he was from Windows and wanted to help me. I told him again and that I'd take my chances and hung up.

Has anyone heard of this? Thanks. Hugs, Di

SKP #48048
2015 single Cab Ram 3500 Dually. Aisan Transmission, 410 gear. Pace Edwards automatic roll top cover. AMP running boards & tailgate step.
1996/2010 Triple Slide Carriage, Mor/Ryde Suspension, Kodiak Disc Brakes, Big Foot Leveling System & Plug It Right Stabilizers.
www.plugitright.com Plug It Right Stabilizer, TST, Quadra Big Foot Lever Tailgate Easy Lift Distrubitors
http://www.plugitright.com/5thwheelREDO.html e-mail: plugitright@gmail.com

Yes,

It is a scam to get you to allow them to remotely control your computer to supposedly fix it, then load you up with malware or directly steal your identity.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Keep in mind that caller ID does not identify the caller in a reliable manner, it is easy for a scammer to have their caller ID show up on your phone as about anything they'd like.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caller_ID_spoofing

Loads of pay sites out there offer you any caller ID you'd like, might be real or might just be getting ready to rip you off themselves so I didn't link to any of them. Google caller ID spoofing if you'd like to see them.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Archived