17.5 inch tire question.

phoenix2013

Done with 16 inch garbage, Popped two more on the way down and back to Hutch last year, one of these still sits in the storage drawer. Local industrial tire shop has all brands including Chinese Hercules H902 A/P 59545 215/75R175H for $180 buck each (plus tax). Yea, I know, anything less than Michelin is a fool's errand, but the only trip I foresee next year is 3,200 to Hutch (we already live in Paradise and wife thinks about "downsizing") so, honestly, would tire like this suffice. Also, any suggestions on rims.

Rickson wheels. Tires they carry, with all the specs in one place. My uncle has Sumitomos' on his hay wagon, that sees regular overloads, and he's been happy with them, I'm thinking they're the 727, same as Rickson carries.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Henry, there are quite a few of us who have haggled over this exact same question, I am one of them.

It is pretty much a get what you pay for type deal.

I have heard decent positive comments on those Hercules H 902 A/P in 17.5 inch.

In your case, with your described use, I might do it.

I went the Goodyear G-114 route because ALL the G614's that I had problems with, were taken care of by Goodyear, including damage to the trailer.

I just felt comfortable with their product, and support.

My rim choice was also made in USA Alcoa's.

There are not a lot of rim choices out there, most are off-shore, as you probably know.

These :http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wheels/Taskmaster/TTWA215H-175WM.html

may be the best quality / price deal out there.

I could not find a vendor with a published price on a Hercules 17.5" tire mounted on a rim, have you?

Rick

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Hi Everyone,

I am not a fan of Goodyear tires. Every time I had Goodyear tires I would have a blow out. The last time I had Goodyear tires was 35 years ago.The same thing happened coming home from the '15 ECR. One blow out and then 1hour later the second blow out. These where G614 tires. I wanted to move up to 17.5" wheels and tires. But it will not happen this year. I am already half way there replacing the tires.

My thought on 17.5" wheels and tires is like having an insurance policy. I would error on the side of safety. I hope Jim from Jim and Cathy will chime in because he bought some wheels and tires from a place in northwest Ohio. I can not think of the name of the tire company.

Best of luck Henry with your search,

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

After we blew a Sumitomo 727 with 18000 miles last summer we went to Bridgestone R184s. So far, about 5000 miles, no problems and less variation in inflation when hot. When we changed I also took the advise of several others on the board and went from max inflation to what is recommended by Bridgestone for our weight. 125 PSI to 100 PSI.

After 53,000 miles on the Hankook Max Advantage F-19 7:50X16. I replaced them with a new set from the INTERCO shop in Rayne La. $209 each mounted, balanced with new stems! With 40-45% left on the old ones I brought the old ones home for use on the gooseneck my son has. In those miles I had 2 repairs from a screw and a box blade.

Clear back to my desert race days in the late '70's no Badyears for this guy.

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

I hope Jim from Jim and Cathy will chime in because he bought some wheels and tires from a place in northwest Ohio. I can not think of the name of the tire company.

Try http://www.trailertiresandwheels.com/ for a selection of tires and wheels.

I bought our 17.5 tires mounted and balanced on new rims from the outfit above. I had them shipped to a tire shop in GA. local to where I was taking delivery of our new (used) trailer. The charge for the tire shop to take them out to the RV park and mount them on the trailer I was buying, was significantly less than they were able to sell the old 16 inch wheels for. The whole process worked great for me and I would buy from trailertiresandwheels.com if I had to do it again.

Jim

Volvo+and+Travel+Supreme+400+x+103.jpg

2001 Volvo 770, Detroit 60 Series, Gen 2 Autoshift

Passenger assist elevator to enter cab - for when we need it, or sell it?

'05 Travel Supreme Select 40 RLQSO 5th wheel

2016 smart car

We started full timing on December 1st 2014

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness - Mark Twain
Not all that wander are lost - J. R. R. Tolkien

Henry, Can't help much on the H902's but we have run Hercules Power STR in the 15" size and have had good luck with them. I think I had 40000 on the first set and I am at about 6000 miles I think on the current set. We wish we could go with 17.5's on our trailer but they do not make 6 lug wheels and we don't think 16" would be enough of an improvement like you have seen. Plus with the 15" ST tires it forces me to keep our speed under 65!

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

I also use Trailer Tires & Wheels in Edon, OH. We are on our second set of GY G114 17.5" tires with no problems. Over 43K miles on GY G114 tires and no problems. I went to them after a GY G614 16" tire failure on 2008. GY warranty service was excellent so I I upgraded to their G114 tires, very pleased I did. Greg

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

I also bought from trailertiresandwheels and have been very happy with the purchase so far. My trailer grosses out at about 16500 lbs, so I went with the Sailun 215/75R17.5 H rated tires instead of the Goodyears. I researched them quite a bit and they have a good reputation in the trucking industry and the people at trailertiresandwheels also said they have had an excellent track record with them. There was a fairly significant price savings with the Sailuns over the Goodyears which helped me sell the idea to my DW as well. :D

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I have 16" tires and I have a tire monitor. My tow speed NEVER exceeds 60mph. I know, I am boring! On the return trip, from the 2013 HDT Rally, I had a tire start to separate. On closer observation, I noticed all of my tires were out of date. So, I replaced all of them, when I got home.

I have a few questions:

1. Is the 16 inch tire failing because of over speed (that is exceeding its tow rating)?

2. Is the 16 inch tire failing because of being overloaded (that is exceeding its load capacity)?

3. Is it possible that two adjacent 17.5 tires could rub one another, due to the increased diameter?

3. Is it possible that two adjacent 17.5 tires could rub one another, due to the increased diameter?

Don't know about other makes but Goodyear 16 inch G614s diameter is 30.7 inches, The 17.5 inch G114s diameter is 30.5 inches.

Chuck & Lola
WV
Retired USCG

2013 Ford F450/2013 Lifestyle 37RESL

Henry look at Mark Bruss web site. He has done all the research and explains everything. It is very helpful and I ended up with the same rims and tires that he has. We have never been sorry we switched. Especially after 2 G614 explosions and a total of $2400 damage.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

I have 16" tires and I have a tire monitor. My tow speed NEVER exceeds 60mph. I know, I am boring! On the return trip, from the 2013 HDT Rally, I had a tire start to separate. On closer observation, I noticed all of my tires were out of date. So, I replaced all of them, when I got home.

I have a few questions:

1. Is the 16 inch tire failing because of over speed (that is exceeding its tow rating)?

2. Is the 16 inch tire failing because of being overloaded (that is exceeding its load capacity)?

So far size wise the "research" shows me that the equivalent diameter of 17.5s is almost identical to 16 inch tires. With all the blow ups on the road I have a mix bag of mongrels on the fifth some G's and some E's. Not to many tire joints stock Gs, mostly they tell you they can get one for you, but not today. Almost tempted to start with replacing the mongrel E's first and a spare.

Even if we could find a 4,000# 16" tires around, most of us would be running them near max rating.

Add to that the great surprise of a deep pot hole or road gator adding 2 to 10 times the load on tires

and rims for an instant.It is a wonder we get a good a service out of our tires as we do. As Alan found

out, you pop 1 tire and the other must carry probably twice it's rating, breaking cords and other structures.

I am in the camp with you who have gone to a tire/rim combination that has some safety factor built in.

I too changed all my 5er tires at the Hutch rally last year, hate to spend more money this soon but peace

of mind and no police and fire guys with me along the highway is also worth something.

DSC00511.JPGDSC00515.JPG

Yamaha V-Star
2007 Kenworth T2000 tandem aircutter
ThermoKing TriPack
2003 Holiday Rambler 36' Presidential
short trips-88 Allegro on Astro

I have only heard of one failure of a G114. And there is some debate if that was instigated by a HEAVY curb strike. G614 are a different animal totally. I would NEVER, EVER run them. Been there, done that - to the tune of 6 blowouts or separations (on a two axle trailer). But, like Rick said - Goodyear stood behind everything.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I also bought from trailertiresandwheels and have been very happy with the purchase so far. My trailer grosses out at about 16500 lbs, so I went with the Sailun 215/75R17.5 H rated tires instead of the Goodyears. I researched them quite a bit and they have a good reputation in the trucking industry and the people at trailertiresandwheels also said they have had an excellent track record with them. There was a fairly significant price savings with the Sailuns over the Goodyears which helped me sell the idea to my DW as well. :D

x2. same deal

Ray & Deb - Shelbi the Aussie & Lexington the cat
2004 Volvo 630 500HP ISX "Bertha D" - 10 Speed-MaxBrake -ET hitch.SOLD
2009 Designer 35RLSA SOLD
Fulltiming since '07 - stopped 2016

I just went through all this with multiple blowouts. And you all convinced me to go ahead and jump up to 17. 5 with no regrets.

Henry I got sailun S637 (715/75R17.5 ) (16 ply) H rated 4805 lb EA 30 inch tall. mounted on Hispec aluminum wheels with all Lugnuts and center caps seven wheels total. Went through trailer tire and wheel. Great service and fast.

They shipped them to the RV dealer that swapped my axles. Can look up the price but was the best I could find.

So far very happy but have not figured out best inflation pressure.

At 120 PSI if my toy box trailer is empty everything bounces off the counters.

But loaded with my bronco inside it rides and handles great.

I've made three short trips so far. And been the first time in a very long time I didn't stare at my tire monitors or mirrors to see if everything still okay.

What help me finally make the jump was to go to my local truck tire shop and put the 15 inch tire next to a 16 inch and a 17.5 tire.

One look at the difference in side wall thickness and I was sold could not believe I had not done it so much sooner.

Had my share of 16" blowouts. Switched to 17.5 GY. Wallet ached for a bit, but it's healed up now. Peace of mind is worth every penny.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hi Everyone,

I have been looking for a thread that talks about the weight that a 5th wheel trailer actually carries on the tires. I have done a search but so for I come up with nothing. I can remember reading about someone posting how to calculate the weight that the tires might see. I remember that part of the calculation they talked about pin weight. Can someone head me in the right direction or post the link to that thread. I am trying to figure out for myself are the tires that I have safe enough for my trailer. Would the calculation also have a safety factor ?

Sorry for the hi-jack of this thread, but sense we are talking tires here, I thought this might fit in. I know it will help me. Thanks.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

If you want to cheap yourself out, you can deduct the pin weight of your trailer from the GWVR and then divide that by the number of tires.

For me, I have tire capacity that exceeds the GVWR of the trailer. The pin weight is the safety margin for those times when a wheel droops in a hole or when crossing a high road bump strip that can put a large chunk of your sprung weight on one set of wheels.

Please click for Emails instead of PM
Mark & Dale
Joey - 2016 Bounder 33C Tige - 2006 40' Travel Supreme
Sparky III - 2021 Mustang Mach-e, off the the Road since 2019
Useful HDT Truck, Trailer, and Full-timing Info at
www.dmbruss.com

Archived