filling propane

defboater

Same as above.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

I have 2 30 lb cylinders with an auto switch over regulator. When one cylinder is empty, I disconnect it and take it in to be filled. If I'm someplace new, I call around to several places for the best price. They can vary widely. Also be sure whether you're getting a flat rate or metered.

I just learned a lesson. I'm not sure whether this is specific to Texas but I'll use Texas as my example since I live here.

I just took my two 30 lbs. propane bottle in to "top them off" before heading to the coast. The gas service charged me $26 per bottle even though both were well over half filled already.

When I asked about this, the retailer said that they are no longer permitted to sell propane by the pound (which they did last year) as there is no way to accurately determine the amount of gas sold because of gas pressure changes due to temperature and other variables. In short, they charge $26 per 30 lbs. bottle whether it is empty or almost full.

Wait until your bottles are almost empty before refilling them. That was a "$52 plus taxes" lesson that I learned the hard way.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

Exactly the kind of comments I was hoping for, thank you!

Have you been to any CG where a truck is available for propane fill up? Wondering if this is something that is widespread?

2008 Carriage Cameo F31KS3

Mor Ryde

Ford F350 diesel 4x4

traveling with our pretty kitty

I just learned a lesson. I'm not sure whether this is specific to Texas but I'll use Texas as my example since I live here.

I just took my two 30 lbs. propane bottle in to "top them off" before heading to the coast. The gas service charged me $26 per bottle even though both were well over half filled already.

When I asked about this, the retailer said that they are no longer permitted to sell propane by the pound (which they did last year) as there is no way to accurately determine the amount of gas sold because of gas pressure changes due to temperature and other variables. In short, they charge $26 per 30 lbs. bottle whether it is empty or almost full.

Wait until your bottles are almost empty before refilling them. That was a "$52 plus taxes" lesson that I learned the hard way.

This sent me on a hunt. In the end, I think that you need to find another place to buy your propane. Gas pressure has nothing to do with the weight of the propane. A gallon of propane weighs a hair over 4 pounds and 4 pounds is 4 pounds whether at sea level or 14000'.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I haven't seen a LPG place selling propane by weight. Everyone I have used has a pump with a meter showing the gallons . I buy a lot of propane in Texas.

Newt

2012 HitchHiker Discover America 345 LKSB

2009 Dodge/Cummins

LIVINGSTON TX

This sent me on a hunt. In the end, I think that you need to find another place to buy your propane. Gas pressure has nothing to do with the weight of the propane. A gallon of propane weighs a hair over 4 pounds and 4 pounds is 4 pounds whether at sea level or 14000'.

I haven't seen a LPG place selling propane by weight. Everyone I have used has a pump with a meter showing the gallons . I buy a lot of propane in Texas.

Newt

Chalkie & Newt, nobody was more surprised that I was. This is a local distributor of natural and propane gas services and has multiple locations in my area.

After I left this LP gas service, I stopped by my local RV place to pick up a few items and asked about this situation. My local RV place is just now starting to sell propane and the guy behind the counter had just finished the state training for this. His comments supported what the LP service said.

Apparently, it's new for 2015.

As for the selling by weight, this was an old, old LP gas service in Bastrop that actually had one of those sliding weight scale, like the ones you used to see at grain stores only the in-ground floor model. But that was back in 2012 or so.

To be honest, I hope this is something new and not one of my local businesses ripping me off.

Jeff & Laurie

South Texas

Hounds: Auggie (beer drinking English Cocker Spaniel)

Angus (five pounds of bad azz chihuahua)

Homebase: 2015 Heartland 365 Key West -- The "Uno Mas"

The Office: 2016 Crossroads Hill Country 26RB

I have ALSO found, that, in general, the smaller (and more rural/agricultural) town you are in the LOWER you tend to pay for propane. In Amarillo, the cost is in excess of $ 3.50 while in the little town of Post, Texas (South of Lubbock, TX), it is around $ 2.50. Go figure!

It pays to shop!

Traveling America in "God's Grace"

I have not found a gas supplier in Texas that charges by the gallon although for me it isn't a problem. Like HappyKayakers I get a bottle filled when the changeover valve shows a tank is empty. I also carry a spare bottle in the back of the truck in case I can't get to a supplier at a convenient time. By the way, I believe it is a DOT requirement that portable propane bottles be filled on a scale to avoid over filling in case the OPD malfunctions. There was a truck filling propane bottles at campgrounds in Aransas Pass, TX a year ago. It had a scale that supported the bottle from above.

Russ

The LP vendor near our NY cottage fills our ASME coach tank by the gallon, and our DOT portable cylinders by weight unless I ask for a gallons fill when one isn't completely empty. On the road, the coach tank always gets filled by the gallon of course.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Many years ago I was a salesman/delivery drivier for a local distributer near Dallas. We billed by the gallon but the rules required that we fill the portable cylinders below 50# by tank weight on the scale. Unless it just changed it is still supposed to be that way. They can still bill by the gallon and to my knowledge all do. Last week I got a refill at Tractor Supply here in TN and the scale was right there and he didn't use it but he was supposed to. Last year at this location they were brand new at selling and had just passed their tests and got their certifications and they would not fill without the scale. To my knowledge they are still supposed to use the scale but usually bill by the gallon EXCEPT some places have a flat fee for the size cylinder whether it is 2/3 ful, 1/2 full or empty. It cost them labor wise the same to top one off as to fill it and if allowed they will do it that way. There is another place near here that is a Uhaul and they do it that way. However it is slightly discounted depending on the quantity of propane sold so if I get 2 30lb# cylinders filled it is slightly cheaper. That is their choice.

Dutch mentioned getting one filled by asking for a gallon fill and it is their option to only charge for the gallons filled in a partially filled cylinder. Some will some won't. The Tractor Supply filled mine with 7.2 gal for $1.99 per gallon which was cheaper than it was back in Nov.

I learned to always ask about filling charges before I got filled, the hard way. I had a tiny little one gallon tank that I got filled at a place that charged by the tank, paid the same as I would have paid for a 20. Guy said they wouldn't fill anything bigger than a 20 since they lost money on it.

First rule of computer consulting:

Sell a customer a Linux computer and you'll eat for a day.

Sell a customer a Windows computer and you'll eat for a lifetime.

Have you been to any CG where a truck is available for propane fill up? Wondering if this is something that is widespread?

We have been in RV parks where a truck will come around and fill propane tanks, both for motorhomes and portable tanks for trailers. Apparently, some places don't allow this, so check with the RV park when you're checking in.

If you have a motorhome, you could always have something like an Extend-A-Stay installed and get a portable propane tank that can be taken somewhere to fill up when empty. That would save having to drive the motorhome to get the tank filled.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Archived