filling propane

defboater

By the way, I believe it is a DOT requirement that portable propane bottles be filled on a scale to avoid over filling in case the OPD malfunctions.

If that's the case, then there are a LOT of propane dispensers who are filling tanks illegally! The only place we've had our portable propane tanks filled by weight was in New Mexico...every place else we've traveled and had portable tanks filled, they've always done it by gallons.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

Being a cruising sailor I have had to find people to fill my UK style tanks all over the world.

Venezuela was my favourite story. I took the tank in and the propane guy ran through his adaptors without success. By sign language he told me to come back tomorrow. I duly turned up next day to be told 'momento'.

He marched over to the fish freezer, removed my tank and another larger one. Putting down his cheroot, he removed the valves from both tanks and just poured the liquid propane into my tank. He screwed the valves back on and resumed smoking.

There was a safety check. He drew hard on the cheroot and waved it around the valve muttering something like ' no incendie'.

FT since September 2007

Safari Trek + M/C

http://johncarolandcharro.blogspot.com/

The proper way to fill a portable tank is by weight. On the tank should be the letters TW (tare weight) followed by the actual weight of the empty tank. A typical 30 lb. propane tank weighs about 24 lbs. empty. The attendant would then place the tank on a scale and add liquid propane until the weight reaches 54 lbs. (24 plus 30).

In order to pump liquid propane into the empty tank, the attendant would normally open the bleeder valve to let gas escape. This is done with a screwdriver. When the tank fills up to the vent valve level, liquid propane will escape. This is how some attendants fill bottles without the use of a scale.

The method of filling has nothing to do with how propane is priced. Propane is sold by the gallon, like other fuels. However, many propane vendors don't want to mess with metering every gallon out and calculating a separate price for each portable tank they fill, so they just put a set price on each tank of a certain size. That price is typically set by the volume of the tank and the price per gallon, for example a 30 lb. tank is 7 gallons times $3.00 per gallon or $21.00 for a tank of that size.

http://www.propane101.com/propanecylinderfilling.htm

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

Being a cruising sailor I have had to find people to fill my UK style tanks all over the world.

Venezuela was my favourite story. I took the tank in and the propane guy ran through his adaptors without success. By sign language he told me to come back tomorrow. I duly turned up next day to be told 'momento'.

He marched over to the fish freezer, removed my tank and another larger one. Putting down his cheroot, he removed the valves from both tanks and just poured the liquid propane into my tank. He screwed the valves back on and resumed smoking.

There was a safety check. He drew hard on the cheroot and waved it around the valve muttering something like ' no incendie'.

Classic ... Thanks for the grin . :)

Goes around , comes around .

If filling by gallon always do it in the morning - the cooler the temperature the more propane molecules you can get into that tank.

Barb

The LP vendor near our cottage uses the same style temperature compensated pump that's used on the bulk delivery trucks.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

"If that's the case, then there are a LOT of propane dispensers who are filling tanks illegally!"

At least in the past we would sometimes fill cylinders off the delivery trucks even though we were not supposed to. It was still metered off the truck by the gallon. At some point they put a stop to it. Some people may still do it but they are not supposed to. Back in them olden days when I worked there the 80% bleeder was a knurled knob and you had to be careful and quick to close it as the temprature of the exiting liquid could freeze burn you severely. By rights we should have used gloves but you know how guys and employees are sometimes. They were transitioning to the screwdriver type valve about the time I was leaving that job.

We have it done both ways . Our Propane vendor at home does it by weight as stated above the empty and full weights are on the tank. Here in Florida we fill at Pilot/Fj and they do it by the gallon. When on the road it is usually Pilot/FJ.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

And propane filling in each state can vary by city or county. In Casa Grande you can get your motorhome propane tank filled by propane company coming through the park. In Mesa, can't do that, as the fire marshall has ruled that the density of the parks is too great and MHs can not be filled in place (nor can tanks be filled in the park) but can only be filled at vendor's sites. Bottles can be set out to be picked up by vendors who then leave another bottle, but don't refill in the park.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Archived