Trucker GPS

solo318

1 hour ago, solo318 said:

Anybody have any leads on a good GPS system for black friday? My old one died and the newer ones have mixed ratings. As always, Thanks in advance.

My Garmin dezl 560 is really old but still working. Since we are no longer RVing Dave says he would be wiling to sell it for $100. We have regularly updated the maps so the LMT is current.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Love my Garmin DEZL.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B010D2URZC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Has a built in Dash-Cam which is mandatory IMO with an HDT.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Rand McNally truckers atlas. It lists every length restricted road and low bridge in the US, Canada and Mexico. Never loses signal and never goes dead.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

10 hours ago, jenandjon said:

Rand McNally truckers atlas. It lists every length restricted road and low bridge in the US, Canada and Mexico. Never loses signal and never goes dead.

10 hours ago, Parrformance said:

LMAO

I always double check the GPS route against an atlas. But it's nice to see your route at a glance on a screen. Has anyone used the Sygic rv app? I tried the regular nav years ago and thought it was a little clunky.

The problem with using the atlas "in case of emergency" is that the pages all end up looking like Mexico. (don't get you panties in a wad, It's funny and you know it) :)

Paper maps are my choice for navigating, but as much as I hate to admit it, a gps is nice to show you what lanes to occupy in a strange city.

Thar said, we did 15 weeks and 22 states on the road in the past 12 months, and never got out the RM 7720 gps. We do have an iPad........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

23 hours ago, ARGO said:

Yeah, and useful in emergencies but the paper is a little stiff...............

Its laminated for easy cleanup and reuse.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

I’m easily amused so sometimes I set my old Garmin deezl sumpin sumpin on “heavy haul” mode... 13ft wide, 15ft high, 245,000lbs, 68ft kingpin to rear axle, and then head up some canyon road with bridges and the language in not inglish... it gets quite frantic. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

You guys are awesome. Maybe not very helpful but funny as heck.  I would wager that if you took away a college kid's cell phone and gave him a map, He would use all the napkins at the nearest Starbucks crying his eyes out because he's lost. :)

That being said, knowing what lane you need to be in ahead of time doesn't show up on a road atlas. Traffic reports don't show up either.

Sometimes I use all 3 - paper map to see where the road goes, googlemap because it assumes the pilot wants to take a different route so adapts quickly and doesn’t natter, quickly calculates distance and route options, and shows traffic snarls, etc and Garmin because sometimes there is no cell service where I’m at at it doesn’t advertise at me. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

14 hours ago, noteven said:

Sometimes I use all 3 - paper map to see where the road goes, googlemap because it assumes the pilot wants to take a different route so adapts quickly and doesn’t natter, quickly calculates distance and route options, and shows traffic snarls, etc and Garmin because sometimes there is no cell service where I’m at at it doesn’t advertise at me. 

X2

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee