Volvo "Console" Ideas please

rickeieio

We have a 2001 Volvo 770 w/ gen 1 Eaton auto-shift.  We currently use a milk crate to stow things like the atlas, brochures, snacks, camera, binoculars, anything you might want to grab while in transit.  We'd really like something with the ability to keep things organized, yet easily moved to gain access to the rear, for passengers, or to grab a snack or beverage from the refrigerator.

Knowing this crowd, I'm sure there are some creative solutions to our dilemma.  I'd like to hear what y'all have done, before trying to re-invent the wheel.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

52 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

We have a 2001 Volvo 770 w/ gen 1 Eaton auto-shift.  We currently use a milk crate to stow things like the atlas, brochures, snacks, camera, binoculars, anything you might want to grab while in transit.  We'd really like something with the ability to keep things organized, yet easily moved to gain access to the rear, for passengers, or to grab a snack or beverage from the refrigerator.

Knowing this crowd, I'm sure there are some creative solutions to our dilemma.  I'd like to hear what y'all have done, before trying to re-invent the wheel.

Try this.  Loyal, holds your goods, movable.HWZfeNLl.jpg

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When I was long hauling by my self I had a seat back organizer.  Slipped over the seat with a bunch of big pockets. I just put it on backwards. Now I have a wife in the passenger seat. She takes care of all that stuff.

https://www.raneystruckparts.com/roadpro-14-pocket-seat-back-organizer/?msclkid=99b6a7b9320d1ca603ccfbbbb63a99c4&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=(ROI) Shopping - General&utm_term=4579191052313883&utm_content=Big Rigs

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

44 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

When I was long hauling by my self I had a seat back organizer.  Slipped over the seat with a bunch of big pockets. I just put it on backwards. Now I have a wife in the passenger seat. She takes care of all that stuff.

Wife is pushing for this, because it never fails that when I ask her to look up something in the atlas or on the iPad, it's sifted to the bottom of the milk crate.  Then if several of us are going to supper, and we're using the truck as a taxi, said milk crate is in the way.

Just looking for a simple solution before I fab up something on a swing away arm with a roller and cup holders, electrical outlets, etc.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Just an idea to help redeem myself.  How about a mesh bag that is suspended between four straps with snaps.  Easy to stow when not in use.  Easy to unsnap for access.  Snaps could be on cab divider.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

13 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Hi Rick,

How about making divider's for the milk crates. The divider's would slip into the crates. But keep the divider's from being attached to the crates. Some thing like being a liner with pockets. Use could use 1/4 " plywood for the dividers. Then use 1/2" x 1/2" stock to hold the dividers. There would be 2 support panels per crate. The support panels would have the 1/2 x 1/2 stock attached to them and would face each other. Then slide in the dividers for the size of pocket you need. I hope I described this idea that someone can understand.

Best of luck with the project,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

Qw7byFKl.jpg

It measures 13" high.   18" long.     And 12" wide.

It sits on the floor. Not attached so you can move it. A place to store things inside. And a flat container sits on top with two drink holders. A place for snack food. That is needed to get me a mile down the road..

Can hide stuff inside also.

Vern

Thanks for the ideas.  You have me thinking about making up something out of cardboard and tape, then fiber glassing it.  Light, but sturdy.  The milk crate is difficult to slide out of the way when you want to get to the fridge, and has no dividers.

I like the items Kevin linked, but didn't find dimensions. (edit: found dimensions under "product detail")

Vern, your solution looks nice.  I wonder if I could do something like that and add velcro cup holders to the lid.......

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

If your truck has the "pedestal" with the handle on to, it's like mine. I have made a couple of "wraps" that are shaped to the pedestal with pockets on the side and back, Velcro on. If that would interest you, PM me for a pic. All my pics are too big to post here.

You'd have to see the movie to understand..........

I mounted this type console between the seats in our Freightliner. It was narrow enough that with it mounted close to the driver's seat, there is still a walkway path to the rear area. It also add 4 cup holders, 2 for front and two for rear. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Auto-Drive-Minivan-Center-Console-Gray/36259986?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&wl13=1135&adid=22222222228038338583&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=m&wl3=80421375769&wl4=aud-482018033502:pla-88906111497&wl5=9010567&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=local&wl12=36259986&wl13=1135&veh=sem&gclid=Cj0KCQiA_4jgBRDhARIsADezXcjkcJIyqVKshdFFfouvY3C5VBwyxq6XMzcOXOt_bho5Ew4GRfPJitkaAiwMEALw_wcB

I hope the link works.

I suggest you securely mount whatever you do as it can become a missle in a crash.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

4 hours ago, ARGO said:

If your truck has the "pedestal" with the handle on to, it's like mine. I have made a couple of "wraps" that are shaped to the pedestal with pockets on the side and back, Velcro on. If that would interest you, PM me for a pic. All my pics are too big to post here.

That sounds interesting.  You can send pics to my email.  It's at the bottom of my signature below.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

1 hour ago, Star Dreamer said:

I suggest you securely mount whatever you do as it can become a missle in a crash

Yes, that's another reason to get rid of the milk crate.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Maybe do cardboard to get the size. But being too light may not stay in place.

We can still get in the back fairly easy. Our unit does stay inplace but can be moved easy. I will take a photo of what sits on top tomorrow.

The gray material an be found at Walmart in the auto section. Comes in a roll for speaker covering think.

the tile matches our sink I built in the back. 

Just my thought,    Vern

You guys are giving lots of ideas.  Maybe make up a divided box with a couple of pouches on the passenger side, and have it strap to the shift tower, secured by velcro for easy access to the rear.

I may build this during our winter trip as I'm sure there will be some down days to fill.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I got to this discussion late. What does your bride think of riding backwards as was suggested earlier in the discourse?

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

4 hours ago, adept99 said:

I got to this discussion late. What does your bride think of riding backwards as was suggested earlier in the discourse?

Hmmm, that would keep her from being distracted by scenery when she's supposed to be navigating.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

This is what is on top of the console at the moment.

JJqiClWl.jpg

this is my wife's domain. She changes it to her tast. But it has to hold a cold drink and snacks.

She puts non skid material under the tray so it does not move easy.

just thinking,.  Vern

On 12/1/2018 at 2:42 PM, ARGO said:

At the top of the HDT main page there is a link to post pictures, no size limit.

I am researching CUP HOLDERS today.  Since this is an "IDEA" themed thread I am adding more links.

This arm and tray are inexpensive and appear to be worth a try.  You could fasten a shallow basket to the tray, or use it as is.

FLEX ARM TRAY

This one I found interesting because our VNL730 has an empty DIN slot below the Delco radio.

VW CUPHOLDER for RADIO DIN SLOT

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Hi !   This is what I bought for Miss Judys side.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NCZP3RN/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I took 2" x 1/4 flat stock , fabbed it in CAD ( cardboard aided design )  and cut and welded it together. It attached to the seatbelt bolt, and the stinking thing wont move once you let it magnetically clink to the arm. Works great and can be removed if needed

See everyone at the ECR !!

Denver and Ms Judy Geitgey

2006 VOLVO 780

41 ' Redwood

NTPA Event Announcer

dngeitgey@gmail.com

event.png

Archived