RV heating systems

spindrift

So it would be a transaction for refer, then another transaction for tractor. YhInteresting,  so you could get a hint of red dye in your tanks from fuel left in the pumps hose and delivery system if the last use was refer?

When I went to the TA to use the tsd card for diesel in the f450 I remember the prompts for tractor,  refer, def, cash back  etc but just choose tractor, thinking refer was other side of island.  So that passengers side pump has its own card reader and user terminal I suppose. 

Thanks for the education!

1 hour ago, palmeris said:

So it would be a transaction for refer, then another transaction for tractor. YhInteresting,  so you could get a hint of red dye in your tanks from fuel left in the pumps hose and delivery system if the last use was refer?

When I went to the TA to use the tsd card for diesel in the f450 I remember the prompts for tractor,  refer, def, cash back  etc but just choose tractor, thinking refer was other side of island.  So that passengers side pump has its own card reader and user terminal I suppose. 

Thanks for the education!

The second pump on the passenger side is a “slave” pump to the drivers side.  It is simply there to fill the passenger side tank.  Same diesel, NO separate card reader so you can’t do a separate transaction on that pump.  Even old dogs like me can learn new tricks.  I did not know dyed diesel was available at truck stops.  Being raised in a farming community, thought it only was available at Co-Ops.  Secondly it never dawned on me what the “refer” was referring to when I was using my card at the pump.  I continue to learn daily from the smart people on this site.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

It's all the same diesel at a truck stop, no red dye. It just separates the transactions so the company can file and get the road taxes they paid at the pump for refer fuel reimbursed.

Edit: Make sure you finish pumping into the passenger side tank BEFORE you hang up the hose on the drivers side.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

41 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

It's all the same diesel at a truck stop, no red dye. It just separates the transactions so the company can file and get the road taxes they paid at the pump for refer fuel reimbursed.

Edit: Make sure you finish pumping into the passenger side tank BEFORE you hang up the hose on the drivers side.

In some of the more "Agricultural" areas some stations do have separate pumps with the Red Dye so the Farmers don't have to keep receipts and send them in for reimbursement. At the Tire Shop I worked at the past two summers if I tried to charge a Farmer "Sales Tax" on his new Tractor tires I'd catch hell from them.  

"Dyed fuel may not be worth the effort.  Right now, I can buy taxed fuel at Costco for nearly a dollar less than I can buy dyed fuel locally.  And then there's the convenience factor.  How much is it worth to go out of the way to save pennies on red fuel?" (From Rickeieio's post. )

The above is certainly true if you have to do the paper work. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

On 11/28/2023 at 7:37 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

I can't say how the 'cheap heat' works but, I am clearly in the no propane camp.    The 240 volt mini split should work on a 50 amp RV service just using the two conductors no neutral.    The 14-50 plug is 240 with the center tap neutral, just wire the mini to the two incomming legs. 

Why  not use the neutral? For many years 240VAC MH's(Newell, Prevost,Foretravel,and others)without an LP system have been  built and used in RV parks without issues.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

Correct.  The commercial guys fill out the IFTA report quarterly, listing gallons bought by state, and gallons used by state, and off-road use, such as reefers.

I filled out those reports for years. What a PITA.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

55 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Why  not use the neutral? For many years 240VAC MH's(Newell, Prevost,Foretravel,and others)without an LP system have been  built and used in RV parks without issues.

Ray, for 240 volt service, you use L1 and L2 and the ground wire. You only use the neutral when you need a 120 volt service. In that case, you use either L1 or L2 and the neutral as well as the ground.

If you have a 240 volt appliance that also requires 120 volts for control cicuits, you would need all 4 wires to meet code.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2023 at 6:33 PM, spindrift said:

Yessir, that's the one, with a somewhat minor difference.  You can purchase a CheapHeat system as an adjunct to, or as a complete replacement for, a propane furnace.  I'm thinking if the mini-split is as good as advertised, and we're still in design, why not totally replace the propane with electric only CheapHeat

I should add that eventually,  we'll be fulltimers in this RV.

If you are designing and want to avoid the LP system totally, you could also use a couple of residential kick space heaters. We have a couple in our S&B kitchen as there was no place to put baseboard heaters. Other than the occasional cleaning, they run and work.

3 hours ago, JGWALES said:

There is a solar guy who has a 12 v split unit. All 12 volt he says. Pre charged with freon till first hook up. 1000.00 each . Has anyone used a Chinese diesel heater to keep bunk warm when parked HDT ? 

Our son's buddy just installed one in his truck camper.  Too soon to offer any review. 

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

14 hours ago, JGWALES said:

. Has anyone used a Chinese diesel heater to keep bunk warm when parked HDT ? 

I put one in my truck when my Webasto failed after thirteen years.  I don’t think I’ve got more than fifteen or twenty hours on the Chinese heater so I can’t really tell you it is great.  It works well enough to satisfy the independent heat requirement for my motorhome status, but I don’t have confidence that the cheap Chinese heater would be reliable for full time use.  If I was still driving commercial I would buy another Webasto. In the U.S. you can buy the Webasto from Cummins for less than $900. 

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'