Opinions on deleted emissions for rv?

Deezl Smoke

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 hours ago, Parrformance said:

So you are intolerant of his perceived intolerance?

Yes, I'm intolerant of his Cali bigotry.  And I would be even more so, if he claimed my sisters, that live in California, were whores.  And your point is?

Edited by DanZemke

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Sooooo…..

I have not read every word of this thread, but it appears you are the only who is suggesting your sisters are whores, can you help me out here?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

9 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

Sooooo…..

I have not read every word of this thread, but it appears you are the only who is suggesting your sisters are whores, can you help me out here?

Cute.  Nice try.  You said: "So you are intolerant of his perceived intolerance? "

No, I'm not  intolerant of his opinion, I'm intolerant of his silly Cali bigotry. 

Edited by DanZemke
clarity

I agree that all of Cali is not a pile of💩, but I suspect fully 20% of the once great state is now.

Coexist is a popular bumper sticker in these formally amazing places.

Perhaps if you see one it might help you to understand that folks can be just as disgusted with “Cali” as you may be with the extreme distaste of the place.

Live and let live, be respectful of your sisters and try to be more tolerant of others.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 8/11/2023 at 6:13 AM, spindrift said:

2004 trucks have an EGR system.

If I remember the story; that's what caused a man on irv2.com to have to rebuild his 560HP(?) ISX (I think the MH was around 2004 or later) in his MH 2X. The first time was something about the EGR plugging up  and causing #6 cylinder to drop a valve, which resulted in a $30,000 rebuild, of which Cummins paid $10,000.  The second time was due to a defective -something, another $30,000, Cummins paid $0.

The ISX is much discussed on trucking forums.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

8 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

I agree that all of Cali is not a pile of💩, but I suspect fully 20% of the once great state is now.

Coexist is a popular bumper sticker in these formally amazing places.

Perhaps if you see one it might help you to understand that folks can be just as disgusted with “Cali” as you may be with the extreme distaste of the place.

Live and let live, be respectful of your sisters and try to be more tolerant of others.

Please try to understand that bigotry and tolerance are orthogonal.

On 8/12/2023 at 9:07 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

I second that motion. I'm sure Cali is beautiful and all that, but........

A couple months ago though, I actually travelled into California for the first time in my life. It was mother's day actually. I was leaving my property in Christmas valley, and went to Klamath Falls to visit friends. When I left there, I took 199 to 101. Never again. But thankfully I never had to get out of the truck, so no Cali stuck to my shoes.😲

Sorry you feel that way about California.   It has lots to offer that is unrivaled in the US, with the possible exception  of Alaska.

On 8/13/2023 at 5:41 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

Pretty much exactly what youtube university says too. I'll have to remember the "Cummins's'z" reference.😁 This X15 E is supposed to have ISX genetics. EGR and sensors seems to be common complaints.

Do you know much about cab and sleeper air conditioning? I have an idea, but I need to run it by someone with experience.

Not much help with hvac - the KW system on the B models is different than Pete’s. KW sleeper heater hot water valves liked to leak from time to time. The fan and it’s racket and most of the rest of the system on a KW is outside the cab on the firewall and serviced from under the hood standing on the floor. The engine intake is also totally outside the cab not routed inside then out again which works better at 30 below. The sleeper curtain is insulated to isolate the sleeper from heat/cold/noise from the driving cab. 
Not much help to you on Peterbilt systems…

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 minute ago, noteven said:

Not much help with hvac - the KW system on the B models is different than Pete’s. KW sleeper heater hot water valves liked to leak from time to time. The fan and it’s racket and most of the rest of the system on a KW is outside the cab on the firewall and serviced from under the hood standing on the floor. The engine intake is also totally outside the cab not routed inside then out again which works better at 30 below. The sleeper curtain is insulated to isolate the sleeper from heat/cold/noise from the driving cab. 
Not much help to you on Peterbilt systems…

Obviously you are quite familiar then with ac systems. ! ?

So here's what I'm think'n if you care to have a listen. On Peterbilt anyway you have one condenser out front of the radiator, two evaporators (one under cab, one under sleeper bunk), two expansion valves(one for cab, one for sleeper), one receiver/dryer, and one compressor.

The feed lines to the sleeper are just tee'd into the main lines, both hot and cold. If I were to then "tee" a second compressor (electric) into the system, and plumb a second condenser (sized right for system) with an electric fan, can I run with the prime mover engine off, and a generator powered up? I'd need 12vdc for the bunk and dash fans, which I have. And if I use a soft start motorized compressor, I should be able to run it on an inverter generator along with the condenser fan. Do you see any obvious issues with this?

I'm a work'n on it.

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

If I remember the story; that's what caused a man on irv2.com to have to rebuild his 560HP(?) ISX (I think the MH was around 2004 or later) in his MH 2X. The first time was something about the EGR plugging up  and causing #6 cylinder to drop a valve, which resulted in a $30,000 rebuild, of which Cummins paid $10,000.  The second time was due to a defective -something, another $30,000, Cummins paid $0.

The ISX is much discussed on trucking forums.

Yep, been reading on truckers report for some time. Does appear though that a lot of the issues with ISX did have some notification that a problem was brewing, just not everyone understood that new symptom as a potential catastrophe.

I'm a work'n on it.

Deezl,

My 2005 Pete 387 has the same type of sleeper hvac, you have.    The rear AC is not the best, I went to a 5K BTU window unit in lieu of the rear on shore power or inverter.     I am thinking of getting a small inverter generator to power that and my fridge on layover.    Even with 4 batteries the AC draws down the system quickly.     

I thought about a DC powered compressor, I am using one on my wagon to chill the heat exchanger for the supercharger.    The current draw on these is anywhhere from 45-60 amps at 13 volts.    I have a 300 amp alternator on the wagon to power it, the condensor fan and other cooling items.

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

35 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Deezl,

My 2005 Pete 387 has the same type of sleeper hvac, you have.    The rear AC is not the best, I went to a 5K BTU window unit in lieu of the rear on shore power or inverter.     I am thinking of getting a small inverter generator to power that and my fridge on layover.    Even with 4 batteries the AC draws down the system quickly.     

I thought about a DC powered compressor, I am using one on my wagon to chill the heat exchanger for the supercharger.    The current draw on these is anywhhere from 45-60 amps at 13 volts.    I have a 300 amp alternator on the wagon to power it, the condensor fan and other cooling items.

Sound like we are felling the same pain.

My thinking is to go alternating current on the compressor just for the amp draw you mention. Raise the voltage, lower the amperage. I currently have a 3500 watt inverter generator, but would like to learn more about the newer 5k from Predator. Ideally it would nice to find an affordable compact diesel, but in your case, the weight consequence might be prohibitive.

They put a 270 amp alternator on my rig. I'm still working on the math with an engineer to see how close to a farse these "green" electric apus are. That 270-300 amp alternator takes a lot of power, aka fuel, to charge 8 depleted batteries.

I'm a work'n on it.

Not sure how this topic got so sideways to a Cali bashing(seems to happen often on this forum) BUT since I have lived here since '69, I like many, came from another place.  I take the approach to be respectful to all and want to learn about what you like about where you live rather than why you dislike where others(Cali specific) live.  This is not a political statement but one from my own perspective.  I enjoy this forum for the things I learn but struggle with OPINIONS based on OPINIONS.  I dont bash other states or countries, nor do I appreciate those that do.

It is best if we just follow the rules of the road and stay in our lanes.  I have made my life in Cali, am looking forward to living elsewhere but appreciate what my life has been here.  I respect those that have likewise made their lives where they live, esp if they have contributed in a positive way to their community.

Cant we all just get along??

Marcel

1 hour ago, rpsinc said:

Not sure how this topic got so sideways to a Cali bashing(seems to happen often on this forum) BUT since I have lived here since '69, I like many, came from another place.  I take the approach to be respectful to all and want to learn about what you like about where you live rather than why you dislike where others(Cali specific) live.  This is not a political statement but one from my own perspective.  I enjoy this forum for the things I learn but struggle with OPINIONS based on OPINIONS.  I dont bash other states or countries, nor do I appreciate those that do.

It is best if we just follow the rules of the road and stay in our lanes.  I have made my life in Cali, am looking forward to living elsewhere but appreciate what my life has been here.  I respect those that have likewise made their lives where they live, esp if they have contributed in a positive way to their community.

Cant we all just get along??

No, probably not. At least not from behind the keyboard. I don't know who is "bashing" california.? My comments were in no way "bashing", ( they were not presented from my perspective as bashing) because in my locality, and age group, it is, always has been, and will be going forward, totally acceptable practice to poke fun at politics in any and all states and countries,...including our own.

The way it works, and will only get worse over time, is people will be "triggered" or "offended" about all topics. Some about states they are fond of. Some about emissions. Some about religion. Some about.........you name it, it will be offensive to someone. Then, those groups of people will block or ignore etc., each other, and because today it is acceptable and even promoted, those groups will go on hate campaigns trying to get other groups on board with their own perspectives. You can't stop it. It's history repeating itself.....again.

Before telephones, and then cell phones. Before the internet, and global instant communication, we pretty much just had our local peoples that socialized together. When a new comer came along, they brought with them aspects of a different culture. Thing is, several locals also came from that area some time back, so acceptance was had, and in time, the new comers would learn how things were locally and fit in. Sometimes this was a slow process, other times it went quickly. But it just normal procedure then, to recognize that different views and perspectives existed, and should be respected.

Today,....not so much.

I'm a work'n on it.

2 hours ago, noteven said:

Other than hot running water on tap air conditioning has to rank as a Great Invention.

👍 I'll go along with that. Sure makes modern life a lot easier. I respect those old truckers and other machine operators that had a cab for the winter, but no ac for the summer.

I'm a work'n on it.

• 3 weeks later...

As I began as a Mechanic, AC on HD Trucks was just coming together.  Older Conventionals had Roofmounts added, Permanent hole in roof that never would really seal.  COEs had Roofmount Condensers early on, systems were weak to useless in cabs.  

Better systems came along as IHC "Blendaire" that ALMOST functioned, few ever bothered to replace or even clean intake filters.  

Our 'B' HVAC system is split house, has manual shut offs for Summer on heat, Separate cores for Bunk and cab with separate AC Evaporators and expansion valves.  Rear unit is a On or Off system nothing to regulate except blower speed.  Cab has really dysfunctional damper control systems, KW always used since late 80s, positions by processor as to placement of damper to a desired request by dash control.  Sometimes work, sometimes have to jack with.  Defrost at least will clear W/S, Pete's generally need a added cab dash fan like the old school buses.

On 8/15/2023 at 7:40 PM, Deezl Smoke said:

👍 I'll go along with that. Sure makes modern life a lot easier. I respect those old truckers and other machine operators that had a cab for the winter, but no ac for the summer.

It was my old 1972 John Deere 7020 that "inspired" me to learn how to work on a/c.  I sat down with the shop manual and studied how it worked, and within a couple days, it did.  Did I do it correctly"?  Of course not.  But there's nothing worse than sitting in a greenhouse atop a hot diesel motor, trying to decide whether to open the windows to let the heat out/bugs and dirt in, or jut bake in 140f (measured) temps with the fan blowing clean air.

We spent a lot of money repairing the a/c in the Volvo.  Corrosion will do that.  So far, the a/c in the kw is pretty dang nice.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net