Anyone else see the video of the Class C passing two semi's and rolling over?

lappir

Scrolling through the news today (May 13,2023) and see a video of a Class C attempting to pass a Semi in the right lane IN front of another semi in the left lane.  The Class C looses the slight rubbing event in news worthy fashion it appears. 

For sure the RV'ers were at fault for the attempt, but what do you think the rest of the story may be? My experience shows a lot of times the two semi's are traveling at almost the same speed, maybe the left lane is 1/4 to 1/2 a MPH faster, but can't seem to make the pass. The Class C on the other hand could of and would have made the pass easily, if the trucker had given the room and there wouldn't be the news worthy crash. Really now who was at fault? The Guy hogging the left lane with no real ability to pass or the guy trying to get rid of the huge line of traffic behind both of the semi's? 

I was not there, have not seen any additional footage from other parties, but it came to mine when I watched the event. 

I found it on Yahoo News in an article published by USA Today with the date on the video of Thursday May 11, 2023. 

I know I have said and written it before, but if you cannot pass with a purpose, then don't attempt until there is no one behind you and you have a likelihood of being able to make a successful pass within a short distance. 

I feel sorry for the drivers of all vehicles involved. A bit of common courtesy may have prevented this. 

JMHO, 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I saw the video. The driver of the Class C was clearly at fault, however, most states have a law regarding "last opportunity to avoid a collision."  In this case, the truck driver should have applied his brakes and moved to the left as far as possible to avoid the Class C cutting in front of him.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

as the weekend warriors

With comments like this one, is it any wonder that we no longer attract the younger Escapees or other part-time  working folks? That isn't exactly welcoming to them.

Edited by Kirk W
repair a typo

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

With comments like this one, is it any wonder that we no longer attract the younger Escapees or other part-time  working folks?

An occasional snide comment is unlikely to be a significant factor in the declining rate of new folks visiting these forums. 

These forums are widely recognized as the best place to go, for solid knowledge and advice about RVing.  This especially applies to our HDT forum, which is by far, our most popular.  And it has been for many years.  I joined Escapees primarily for the forums.  I was hungry for RVer knowledge.

IMO, there are three primary causes for our slow decline.

The first is that there is a lot more competition for RVer eye balls.  

The second is this website looks like it was created more than a decade ago.  And functions like posting a photo, or printing a thread, with a lot of useful facts, are user hostile.  The ads are virtually useless (and I suspect generate a trivial amount of revenue).  

The third, and perhaps the most important, is that the Escapees company doesn't seem to care about these forums.  Who is responsible for marketing and improving them?  If no one has that as a prime responsibility, then there shouldn't be any surprise about their decline.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

I wonder who here has driven a heavy rig and been caught in the wrong lane? 40 ton rigs can't, and shouldn't, change lanes like a sports car. Was the right lane rig better geared than the truck trying to pass? Who knows. But the idiot driving the C Class simply made a dumb move. He had no idea where his left rear corner was. Trying to save a few minutes has cost him big time.

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

With comments like this one, is it any wonder that we no longer attract the younger Escapees or other part-time  working folks? That isn't exactly welcoming to them.

I don’t know how much you have seen in the last few years but the weekend warrior comment was right on. “A lot” of the weekend people we see seem like they are racing to get the last camp site. Then gone on Sunday before 8. I know we were all there before but, todays campers (people) are not the same as when I grew up camping there, is a difference now. 

28 minutes ago, DanZemke said:

An occasional snide comment is unlikely to be a significant factor in the declining rate of new folks visiting these forums. 

These forums are widely recognized as the best place to go, for solid knowledge and advice about RVing.  This especially applies to our HDT forum, which is by far, our most popular.  And it has been for many years.  I joined Escapees primarily for the forums.  I was hungry for RVer knowledge.

IMO, there are three primary causes for our slow decline.

The first is that there is a lot more competition for RVer eye balls.  

The second is this website looks like it was created more than a decade ago.  And functions like posting a photo, or printing a thread, with a lot of useful facts, are user hostile.  The ads are virtually useless (and I suspect generate a trivial amount of revenue).  

The third, and perhaps the most important, is that the Escapees company doesn't seem to care about these forums.  Who is responsible for marketing and improving them?  If no one has that as a prime responsibility, then there shouldn't be any surprise about their decline.

👍

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Would weekend idiot make you feel better????

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Yes and I wondered why the truck driver didn't help out.  Isn't the video from the truck?

Personally, when a trucker in the left lane is trying to overtake me, I'll tap the brakes (to off cruise control) and let him pass me much faster.
Works eveytime.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

15 hours ago, Larry Burkett said:

That move by the Class C doesn't surprise me at all. I've had that happen to us more than one time as the weekend warriors that leave too late, have too far to go and leave too late to get back home safely.

I was fussed at a few years back for using the term "weekend warrior" as it offended someone's son-in-law.  I still feel it is an appropriate tag for some of these folks as they attack the weekend with lots of gusto to get in as much as possible in as short of time as possible.  Hopefully, they will learn that the rushing around is just adding stress to their own lives as well as endangering others.

They are on a short timetable to get to a site set up, enjoy, tear down, get home and unpack.  They may learn to slow down, plan shorter drive times and really enjoy the RV and outdoors time.  So until they can learn that there are others on the road and that they are not the most important person on the road, I feel the term just might be the best description.  It is not meant to hurt feelings.  I get referred to as a slow old coot and it does not bother me.  Maybe it should, but I earned the gray hair and the right to enjoy life at my speed.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

36 minutes ago, justRich said:

Personally, when a trucker in the left lane is trying to overtake me, I'll tap the brakes (to off cruise control) and let him pass me much faster.
Works eveytime.

I agree, they are the working folks. I give them a break. maybe I will get a break someplace.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

6 hours ago, ms60ocb said:

I agree, they are the working folks.

I too would think that the "last chance to avoid an accident" rule would apply there. It didn't appear that he gave ground and one would think that he saw them coming. I tried to find something more about the accident as it would be informative to know what the result of any accident investigation might have been. 

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Why do we all speculate on the happenings of things like this?  It could have easily been a full-timer, also.  Or someone on a 2-week vacation.  

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

On 5/13/2023 at 8:28 PM, Danfreda1 said:

I don’t know how much you have seen in the last few years but the weekend warrior comment was right on. “A lot” of the weekend people we see seem like they are racing to get the last camp site. Then gone on Sunday before 8. I know we were all there before but, todays campers (people) are not the same as when I grew up camping there, is a difference now. 

👌

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

A bad driver is a bad driver RV, HDT, big or small rig, or car. I have seen motor homes with the driver sides seat belt attached to the wall made of wood or aluminum tubing and no steel frame in that spot so he may have had the seat belt ripped away or not.

Years ago here some folks got offended when I questioned their saying they liked motorhomes because the grand-kids could play on the floor while underway. Adults can make that decision but if a sudden stop or accident propelled toddlers through the windshield from 20 feet back in the large Motorhome under discussion that day I sure would not want to live with that.

Safe travels folks!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, RV_ said:

Years ago here some folks got offended when I questioned their saying they liked motorhomes because the grand-kids could play on the floor while underway. Adults can make that decision but if a sudden stop or accident propelled toddlers through the windshield from 20 feet back in the large Motorhome under discussion that day I sure would not want to live with that.

We often talk about the things we did as kids that we didn't consider unsafe then and how government won't let our kids do those things. But. When I was in third grade a classmate went through the windshield during an emergency stop. That was the first funeral I ever attended. I don't wish that experience on anyone at any age.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

2 hours ago, sandsys said:

We often talk about the things we did as kids that we didn't consider unsafe then and how government won't let our kids do those things. But. When I was in third grade a classmate went through the windshield during an emergency stop. That was the first funeral I ever attended. I don't wish that experience on anyone at any age.

Linda

Linda,

You are right, had we known then what we know now millions of lives could have been spared in the 1900s.

Lynda and her family had one happen right in front of them when she was ~9 years old in N. Carolina. The car in front of them wrecked and a little girl about Lynn's age was propelled through the windshield. Her dad was active duty USAF at the time and stopped to help but there was nothing to be done. The girl's father was begging for them to take her to the hospital but it was too late for that. I won't go into Lynn's graphic details, but that kind of thing never leaves you.

Here's a free RV Consumer's Group page about how RVs hold together in a crash for anyone that wants to see pics and comments about the whys of RVs coming apart go here:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1400/3519/files/RV_Durability_and_Crashworthiness.pdf?v=1625158721

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I posted above that the driver clearly didn't know where his left rear corner was. That's just bad driving. No excuses. Also lay off the truck driver. Who here knows if he had other vehicles behind him? If he braked what would the chain reaction have been?

Too many assumptions. That idiot in the motorhome had a brake pedal. It obviously wasn't attached to his brain. Assuming he had a brain!!