Anyone else see the video of the Class C passing two semi's and rolling over?

lappir

πŸ‘

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

Β 

β€œThose who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Just a FWIW. Here in Australia the ABS, (Australian Bureau of Statistics. The official government body responsible for all sorts of data), has just released some interesting road statistics. For the past year 78% of all accidents involving trucks/heavy transport were caused by a car.

I guess similar figures would apply in the USA!!

Β 

Ok, I started this and was not offended by the "Weekend Warrior" comment. I have thought more about the initial post and how some term a "Weekend Warrior".Β 

I live full time in my home on wheels. I do NOT travel full time, at least not yet. I would travel to a place, set up and live there for at least 3 months and usually 6 to 9 months, before heading off to the next location. USUALLY ON A WEEKEND.

I think I might just fit into the category of the "Weekend Warrior".Β  It's true, at times I was in a hurry to get to the place so I could get set up before heading to work on Monday. Sometimes (actually most times) my last day at work would be the longest one ever on the assignment and instead of taking a week to get to my new location I would plan to have everything ready the night before my last day and I could just pull out after work or the next morning and get to my location in plenty of time, but I'mΒ  a bit of a procrastinator and I like to do things only once.Β  I need to fix that, but so far it's not happened.Β 

I understand the 300 foot rule and try to abide by it especially in my "Big Rig", but it infuriates me when I'm coming up behind a truck and suddenly it pulls out into the left lane and I see another truck a half mile ahead of it.Β  There is no way in the next 5 miles that the truck is going to make a pass, yet there it is in the passing lane.Β 

Some of you may have seen the decal on my truck.Β  Believe it or not it seems to work some times.Β 

All I'm asking is for people to Keep Right unless actively passing a significantly slower vehicle.Β 

Pass with a purpose and get out of the left lane.Β 

Look in yourΒ  mirrors before you pull into the left lane to pass. If there seems to be someone coming up behind you quickly wait for them to pass on the left before blocking that lane.

If you are thinking about passing the vehicle in front of you use your turn signal well ahead of putting yourself in the left lane.Β 

If you are traveling in the right lane andΒ  see a vehicle stopped on the shoulder. Again signal and move left to give the potential person in that vehicle space and safety. If the left lane is full of traffic you MUST SLOW DOWN to a speed where you could safely stop if needed.Β 

That's my soap box for today.Β 

I will seek help for my procrastination and will try to be a better "Weekend Warrior". I was never in the military and really think the term "Weekend Warrior" is a compliment to those who do serve in that capacity. THANK YOU.Β 

Β 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,Β  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July.Β 

In reviewing the video, you can clearly see the semi in the left lane is closing the distance on the semi in the right lane. The motorhome came quickly up on the right. The article on CDL life indicated the motorhome driver was ticketed, so clearly law enforcement thought he was in the wrong and I agree to.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Β 

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 5/17/2023 at 10:40 AM, lappir said:

Ok, I started this and was not offended by the "Weekend Warrior" comment. I have thought more about the initial post and how some term a "Weekend Warrior".Β 

I live full time in my home on wheels. I do NOT travel full time, at least not yet. I would travel to a place, set up and live there for at least 3 months and usually 6 to 9 months, before heading off to the next location. USUALLY ON A WEEKEND.

I think I might just fit into the category of the "Weekend Warrior".Β  It's true, at times I was in a hurry to get to the place so I could get set up before heading to work on Monday. Sometimes (actually most times) my last day at work would be the longest one ever on the assignment and instead of taking a week to get to my new location I would plan to have everything ready the night before my last day and I could just pull out after work or the next morning and get to my location in plenty of time, but I'mΒ  a bit of a procrastinator and I like to do things only once.Β  I need to fix that, but so far it's not happened.Β 

I understand the 300 foot rule and try to abide by it especially in my "Big Rig", but it infuriates me when I'm coming up behind a truck and suddenly it pulls out into the left lane and I see another truck a half mile ahead of it.Β  There is no way in the next 5 miles that the truck is going to make a pass, yet there it is in the passing lane.Β 

Some of you may have seen the decal on my truck.Β  Believe it or not it seems to work some times.Β 

All I'm asking is for people to Keep Right unless actively passing a significantly slower vehicle.Β 

Pass with a purpose and get out of the left lane.Β 

Look in yourΒ  mirrors before you pull into the left lane to pass. If there seems to be someone coming up behind you quickly wait for them to pass on the left before blocking that lane.

If you are thinking about passing the vehicle in front of you use your turn signal well ahead of putting yourself in the left lane.Β 

If you are traveling in the right lane andΒ  see a vehicle stopped on the shoulder. Again signal and move left to give the potential person in that vehicle space and safety. If the left lane is full of traffic you MUST SLOW DOWN to a speed where you could safely stop if needed.Β 

That's my soap box for today.Β 

I will seek help for my procrastination and will try to be a better "Weekend Warrior". I was never in the military and really think the term "Weekend Warrior" is a compliment to those who do serve in that capacity. THANK YOU.Β 

Β 

Rod

Well said, Rod.

And as one who retired from the Navy Reserves, doing a hitch on Active Duty first before transitioning, I will tell everyone that once you attain higher rank there is no more "weekend warrior".  I probably spent 40 - 50 hours per month, above and beyond my weekend Reserve time, taking care of Navy business on my own time and own dime after I got off work from my civilian job, which was law enforcement.  There just isn't enough time to get everything done in one 18-hour weekend.  I was also mobilized and recalled to Active Duty for Desert Storm and 9-1-1.  All in all, it was a pretty fun ride.  😎

FWAFS!

CA Dept of Fish & Wildlife (Ret)

US Navy (Ret)

2023 RAM 2500 Tradesman, 6.4L Hemi, 2x4, Reg cab, 8' bed, GVWR 10,000#, Cargo Cap 3913#, Tow Cap 15,540#

On 5/13/2023 at 9:14 PM, bruce t said:

I wonder who here has driven a heavy rig and been caught in the wrong lane? 40 ton rigs can't, and shouldn't, change lanes like a sports car. Was the right lane rig better geared than the truck trying to pass? Who knows. But the idiot driving the C Class simply made a dumb move. He had no idea where his left rear corner was. Trying to save a few minutes has cost him big time.

Β 

Β 

I agree completely! The truck driver was gaining on the other semi I assume to pass it. At anything over 40 MPH a sudden change in trajectory can have tragic results for tractor/trailer units, including pickups towing 5ers.

The video shows the semi driver edging to the left and still got hit.

Every RVing forum talks about the mininumΒ  HP for a MH is 1 hp per 100 lbs, a 1-100 ratio. At most a semi with a 500HP engine and weighing 80,000# is a 1-160 ratio; and I doubt most have that much HP.

The MH driver was clearly driving recklessly and paid the price.

Edited by Ray,IN

Β 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.Β  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Β 

Class C got what they deserved. Normally I'd say more, but don't wantΒ anyone triggered. Forum has been a big help to me over the years, going back to the Aliner days.

Weekend Warrior comment is not offensive. I wish I could be a weekend warrior again.

For the 8 months have not used my Truck Camper and not much opportunity to use it. I may sell it, have not decided. I had been using it pretty steady for the last 11 years, but things have changed. I hate selling it though. It has gone from $17k to $28k new. Truck also went up. Point is, could not afford to buy it if I had to again...even used.

Edited by slackercruster

On 5/21/2023 at 5:15 PM, slackercruster said:

Class C got what they deserved. Normally I'd say more, but don't wantΒ anyone triggered. Forum has been a big help to me over the years, going back to the Aliner days.

Weekend Warrior comment is not offensive. I wish I could be a weekend warrior again.

For the 8 months have not used my Truck Camper and not much opportunity to use it. I may sell it, have not decided. I had been using it pretty steady for the last 11 years, but things have changed. I hate selling it though. It has gone from $17k to $28k new. Truck also went up. Point is, could not afford to buy it if I had to again...even used.

I agree,IMO his driving demonstrated how much he thought of his family.

Β 

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.Β  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Β 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/14/2023 at 9:27 AM, TXiceman said:

I was fussed at a few years back for using the term "weekend warrior" as it offended someone's son-in-law.Β  I still feel it is an appropriate tag for some of these folks as they attack the weekend with lots of gusto to get in as much as possible in as short of time as possible.Β  Hopefully, they will learn that the rushing around is just adding stress to their own lives as well as endangering others.

They are on a short timetable to get to a site set up, enjoy, tear down, get home and unpack.Β  They may learn to slow down, plan shorter drive times and really enjoy the RV and outdoors time.Β  So until they can learn that there are others on the road and that they are not the most important person on the road, I feel the term just might be the best description.Β  It is not meant to hurt feelings.Β  I get referred to as a slow old coot and it does not bother me.Β  Maybe it should, but I earned the gray hair and the right to enjoy life at my speed.

Ken

Amen to that friend.Β 

I will get where I am going eventually.Β