Pack rats in Quartzsite

runaway parents

Generally unproven.  .22 loaded with rat-shot works well though.  Just don't shoot them near a tire.

Ken

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

6 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

That video is awesome. They are so smart.

Here's another video using the string lights.  They don't work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVN9JXUJXdY

Oh wow don't want to spend waste money on things that don't work so far the 22 loaded with rat shot sounds like the best bet

3 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Oh wow don't want to spend waste money on things that don't work so far the 22 loaded with rat shot sounds like the best bet

Even if you miss, it's fun.  A bb gun would be more effective though, providing you're a decent shot.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Okay so that might have been a little harsh and not very politically correct . So I was doing a construction job at a potato processing plant . And notice they have live traps. Asked the rodent control person that was checking those traps. What did he do with the live rats that he finds? Well his response was of corse you take him back out into the Wilderness and release them.Then he just actually leaned over and told me real quietly, but they don't make it out to the wilderness .They usually go for a swim in a 5 gallon bucket of water.

Edited by runaway parents

2 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Does mothballs hurt non-target animals such as his neighbor's dog or cats don't know much about them

I doubt moth balls would hurt any animal as they don't like the gaseous odor ( fumes ), so they would very likely simply stay away .

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

The only way to deal with pack rats is to change the habitat so they move on to greener pastures.  At Quartzite, I don't think BLM would approve of habitat modification to eliminate pack rats.

At my SKP lot the park maintained the landscaping directly in front of the lot.  They had a large prickly pear cactus preferred nesting habitat for pack rats. 

BUT WAIT there MORE!!

Jumping Cholla's are the preferred food for pack rats.  The Jumping Cholla's were interwoven with the prickly pear cactus.  What more could a pack rat want or need?

The Park provided perfect habitat for pack rats. 

I would literally trap and kill eight pack rats out of the "pack rat condo".  Set up a wildlife camera and have ANOTHER pack rat family move into the Condo's within two or three days!!!

Finally, the Park decided to do a "urban renewal" project and remove the pack rat condo's.  That solved the pack rat problem.

Pack rats breed so frequently and raise so many young, that killing them becomes a full-time occupation. 

The solution is habitat modification or pop the hood to eliminate hiding places.  Cats and Jack Russel terriers also help in controlling pack rats.  Cats are natural born killers.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

Most rodents have very good hearing, so as to detect predators.  Playing a radio messes with their ability to hear said predators.  Put some small speakers under your rig and play a radio quietly, but louder than a snake slithering or a cat walking, so that it doesn't annoy the neighbors.

Credit to Randy Agee, (RandyA) for this tid-bit.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

11 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Does mothballs hurt non-target animals such as his neighbor's dog or cats don't know much about them

Please don't use moth balls!!     https://vcahospitals.com/know-your-pet/mothball-toxicity-in-dogs#:~:text=Mothballs contain a high concentration,can harm pets and people.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

In North Dakota last year I found my truck full of pine cones. Apparently the Squirrels thought it was a good place to keep food for the winter. They didn't know I'd be moving away before the snow flew. 

The folks at the campground reported soaking rags in Ammonia would keep them away. I happened to have something that was free with a similar odor.  Some collections from my cat litter box with the clay clumping litter. It worked. Tried it again with the "Worlds Best Litter" when I had some smaller non hair tailed rodents, but that time it didn't. Moving from the area did though.  Not sure if it would work for Pack Rats unless you let the cats out. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/21/2022 at 6:48 PM, runaway parents said:

Yeah the only reason why I brought it up. I watch the video of this guy that was having problems with them. So he used lights to scare them off at night. Just wondering if this was a legit issue.

On 12/21/2022 at 6:48 PM, runaway parents said:

Yeah the only reason why I brought it up. I watch the video of this guy that was having problems with them. So he used lights to scare them off at night. Just wondering if this was a legit issue.

Packrats cannot survive direct sunlight. They know that, and only come out at night. I can see why the lights would deter them.