California

jeanhoyle

If you're running an older vehicle, you'll get the opacity test. This means that oversize injectors could get you a fail, Otherwise, assuming you're keeping up with your maintenance, you should be good to go. Newer vehicles will need to have all factory installed emissions equipment installed, and functioning. Deleted? You've been warned. Given the amount of trafic in California, you may or may not want to run the gamble, but I think the odds favour the tourist, at this time.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

1 hour ago, jeanhoyle said:

I have questions about this:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-unveils-smog-check-trucks-enforcement-event-port-los-angeles

read the second paragraph please

If they add that second paragraph to this one further down:

"In mid-2023, phase two of the HD I/M program requires all heavy-duty trucks to register with CARB and obtain a certificate of compliance to operate in the state."

They will lose a lot of tourist RVs.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

8 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Given the amount of trafic in California, you may or may not want to run the gamble, but I think the odds favour the tourist, at this time.

I really wonder?

In the first phase of the program, beginning in January 2023, the Portable Emissions Acquisition System (PEAQS) – a roadside monitoring system that measures truck emissions – will be deployed in various areas to screen for potential high-emitting vehicles operating on California roads. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Since the check is for properly operating smog equipment, I'm in the clear, my MH never had anything other than the OEM muffler. (not that I ever intend to return to CA)

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

This is their pollution problem before we add wildfires.

California air pollution pictures

Now add wildlfire smoke to the man made pollution and I would avoid it until the drought is over, they have water again, and their hydroelectric is back up to 100%.

Rural areas in wildfire season are an unpredicatable risk. There could be none when you visit, or you could be caught in one in minutes. No certainty either way.

So we are glad we traveled there when it was not dangerous to breathe or be there.

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

As far as RVs go I really feel for those with older highend motorhomes. Many have older diesel units. Even some old GM 6v92 2 stroke units. A Bluebird or Prevost registered out of state and passing through may travel the full length of Interstate 5 and put out the same/less emissions as a new pickup that is homed in California over a longer period. Common sense says that there has to be exceptions. But when did any government use common sense?

What about classic cars and hot rods? Railroad historic equipment. So many anomalies.

On 9/6/2022 at 9:15 PM, jeanhoyle said:

I have questions about this:

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-unveils-smog-check-trucks-enforcement-event-port-los-angeles

read the second paragraph please

What are your questions about the second paragraph?

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

1 hour ago, bruce t said:

What about classic cars and hot rods? Railroad historic equipment. So many anomalies.

Bruce if you go to the link it does not apply to classic cars or hot rods of any kind, nor does it mention railroad anything. This topic is about questions on the OP dealing with

"California Air Resources Board (CARB) recently previewed the Heavy-Duty Inspection and Maintenance Program (HD I/M), which is due to begin phasing in on Jan. 1, 2023

It applies to nothing except:

"The HD I/M program will apply to all heavy-duty trucks, buses, agricultural equipment and personal motorhomes with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of more than 14,000 pounds travelling in the state regardless of whether they are registered in California."

I think the specifics mentioned in the link were clear.

Source is the link posted in the OP.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

I thought that I had read something awhile back that the RV groups had pushed back on the testing and that they had changed the requirements that they were not going to test out of state RVs. Oh well, guess we won't plan to go there anytime soon! We are going to be right next to the border in AZ, I should run the truck, titled as an RV, across to see what they do.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

This subject is running in a thread on irv2.com currently.  One reply posted a link to where out of state Private MH's could be exempt.

This is the draft regulation:https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default/files/classic//msprog/hdim/meetings/20201217_draft_hdim_reg_concepts.pdf

This is an excerpt from a sysnopsis of said draft:

quote: "What about non-residents? As the draft is currently written, non-residents aren’t cut any breaks. Your motorhome would require a test on entry to the state. However, CARB tells us, “Staff is considering an exemption from heavy-duty I/M [inspection and maintenance] for motor homes registered outside of CA when used only for personal use.” The keyword here is “considering.” Just when and if staff will write in the exemption remains to be seen."

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 1 month later...
On 9/12/2022 at 5:53 AM, Star Dreamer said:

I thought that I had read something awhile back that the RV groups had pushed back on the testing and that they had changed the requirements that they were not going to test out of state RVs. Oh well, guess we won't plan to go there anytime soon! We are going to be right next to the border in AZ, I should run the truck, titled as an RV, across to see what they do.

"run the truck, titled as an RV, across to see what they do".

Depends on who is handling "whatever" border chores!  Maybe just Ag - maybe not.

It's like the truck scales in CA for pickups.  CA residents "may" be required to stop (depending on GVW rating,  or if the truck has a utility body or stake bed in place of a standard pickup bed - in spite of the sign/s "no pickups"!  It all depends on how busy "they" (CHP) are - as well as the person/s working at the time.

However,  out of state license plates, no need to stop.