Brownsville anyone!

homelesshartshorns

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

Brownsville is full of crime, drugs and poverty.  Stay in another town and go for a quick drive-through.

Everywhere we have been over the past few years has an increasing crime, drugs and poverty rate.  I'd sure like to know where I could go to get away from the crime.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Is there any boondocking in the vicinity there? Like on the outskirts where it might be safe? Any state parks in the vicinity? Just wondering cause I've always thought about going down there in the winter.

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

2 hours ago, DJohns said:

Camped at  Brownsville 15 years ago. Rescue and police all night. Can't imagine what it is like now.Will never go back.

Were you parked near a hospital, police, or fire station?  We were in Mission 2 winters back and no real difference than most places we have been.  We never felt like it was less safe to out than any other places.

There are areas that you do not want to go into just like any larger city in the US.

As for state parks, check out this link... https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks-map

Rio-Bentsen has no camping.  Texas state park stay limit is 2 weeks.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Worked in Norco Louisiana on night shift for a year. Had camper on River road. Listened to talk radio coming home and going. At least 1 murdered every night. Many nights several. Got stopped a couple of times checking on me out so late. Many places are like this. I would not let that stop me from going.  

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We visited friends in a resort near Brownsville, January 21 timeframe.  They never said anything about crime there.  They had some medical needs and raved about the care they got being much better than their hometown.

On the downside, they hated the constant wind!  So they didn’t go back this year.

We are in Mission for the first time and like it very much here.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

On 1/10/2022 at 10:06 AM, TXiceman said:

As for state parks, check out this link... https://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/parks-map

Rio-Bentsen has no camping.  Texas state park stay limit is 2 weeks.

Ken

None of the three state parks in the LRGV (Rio-Bensen, Estero Llano Grande, Resaca de la Palma) have RV camping. Rio-Bensen actually does have a few walk-in primitive camping. Falcon is the closest State Park with RV camping. 

We volunteered for three different winters in the valley. With a population of 1.3 million in the Lower Rio Grande Valley, there are some areas with high crime rates and many other areas with low crime rates. Just like any other cities in the US with that concentration of people. 

But I sure wouldn't avoid the area based on fear of crime. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels