Tow vehicle wheelbase to towed trailer length?

Kirk W

One of my sons is as avid an RVer as any of us and he just today completed the first full day of travel towing his RV with a newly purchased 1 ton truck. As a result we were comparing his change from towing with a Toyota Sequoia to his new F350 crew cab and what I experienced going from towing a 20' travel trailer with a Kia Borrego to a crew cab Dodge 2500 crew cab. That lead to a discussion not only of trailer weights compared to the tow vehicle weight ratings but also to the comparing of wheelbase of tow vehicle to the length of trailer. In their travel today they went past the scene of an RV accident with a longer travel trailer upside down and detached from the tow vehicle, which was pointing back in the direction it had come from.  We regularly discuss RV weights and weight ratings and also wheelbase ratios for motorhomes, but seldom do we go into the needed wheelbase of tow vehicle as compared to the length of trailer. For travel trailers I found the following on autoblog:

As a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length.

That would say a 12' 6" wheelbase vehicle can tow a 30' travel trailer, assuming a proper weight distributing hitch. I was unable to find anything at all about tow vehicle wheelbase for towing a fifth wheel. I believe that Changing Gears website does get into vehicle lengths but I'd like to see some thoughts from others here in the interest of making our forums more educational. 

Edited by Kirk W
correct a term

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

46 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

As a general rule of thumb, the first 110 inches of wheelbase allow for a 20-foot trailer. For each additional four inches of wheelbase length, you get one foot more in trailer length.

That would say a 12' 6" long vehicle can tow a 30' travel trailer, assuming a proper weight distributing hitch. I was unable to find anything at all about tow vehicle wheelbase for towing a fifth wheel. I believe that Changing Gears website does get into vehicle lengths but I'd like to see some thoughts from others here in the interest of making our forums more educational. 

I guess the first thing that should be noted is that the wheelbase of a vehicle and the length of a vehicle are two different things. So your statement regarding the ability of a 12' 6" long vehicle (a very short vehicle indeed) being able to tow a 30' travel trailer is inaccurate (according to the referenced formula). 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

3 minutes ago, mptjelgin said:

So your statement regarding the ability of a 12' 6" long vehicle (a very short vehicle indeed) being able to tow a 30' travel trailer is inaccurate (according to the referenced formula). 

True. I should have said wheelbase and did just edit it to change that. Sometimes my fingers don't type what my mind is thinking..... 🙃

Some thoughts, kind of in priority order:

Trailer design and weight distribution. RV teeter totter wheels in the middle with long body behind the axles vs trailer with wheels farther back.

Aero design of the trailer plus how high it rides off the ground. 

Tow vehicle overhang - distance from hitch point to rear axle. Might be negative number for geese and 5th wheels.

Axle loading of tow vehicle when hitched.

Weight of tow vehicle as a % of trailer weight.

Wheelbase of tow vehicle.

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

One factor that I have seen little discussion of is the width of the trailer.  I have pulled three travel trailers (and one fifth wheel) with my current truck.  Two of the trailers were 96" wide and one is 102" wide.  On some roads the lane drift with the 102" trailer is quite noticeable.   Again, this is not a constant issue and I never noticed it with the 96" wide trailers.  I believe this is due to the truck tires and trailer tires do not follow the same track.  If the road has ruts.  it makes it hard to keep centered in the lane.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Was it the fifth wheel that was 102" wide or one of the travel trailers Roger?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I have linked to this article a number of times in the past. How Long? 

The First Guideline
(This guideline was first used by the RV Consumers Group rv.org)

For the first 110" of wheelbase, this allows you 20' of trailer.

For each additional 4" of wheelbase, this gets you 1' more of trailer.

Wheelbase / Trailer length
110" = 20'
114" = 21'
118" = 22'
and so on

Note the reference to the RV Consumers Group.

8 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I have linked to this article a number of times in the past.

A good post even though it is an older one. Some things should be reprinted. I'll save that link, so thank you!

Edited by Kirk W
typo

2 hours ago, trailertraveler said:

I have linked to this article a number of times in the past. How Long? 

Note the reference to the RV Consumers Group.

I was ready to reply with that link to David's tips, you already have.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

18 hours ago, RV_ said:

Was it the fifth wheel that was 102" wide or one of the travel trailers Roger?

My current travel trailer is 102" and that is the one I have noticed the problem of lane drift with.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Well, I have a 20 foot wheelbase and a 40 foot trailer and mine is very stable when towing up to the rated limit of the tires (75mph). It does make a bit of a difference when the tow vehicle weighs 26K and the trailer weighs 21K though.

Overkill? Yes but I have been behind too many campers with a short tow vehicle that get out of control easily in a bad crosswind. The sail area of a large camper towed by a smaller vehicle will push it around.

The drag racers on here know firsthand how a short wheelbase drag car drives compared to a long wheelbase car.

The other msin factor is weight. A very light tow vehicle pulling a very heavy trailer will NOT be in control when things go south. A blowout, being cut off, taking extreme evasive actions or strong winds can cause a problem outside of your control that will often lead to a wreck.

Improper loading of a trailer is under your control however and I have talked to countless people that have NEVER weighed their trailer or know their pinweight.

Education is key but the old saying that you can lead a horse to water comes to mind.

Edited by GeorgiaHybrid

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

Oh, what a bag of worms you've opened Kirk.

Sometimes things aren't as we would expect.  I used to pull a pop-up (Apache Cimarron) with a F-250 Supercab.  3500# trailer and 7500# truck.  It handled fine, EXCEPT when hitting expansion joints.  The wheelbase of the truck was nearly the same as the distance from the hitch to the trailer axle, setting up a fore/aft rocking motion at the then 55 mph speed limit.  Bump it up to 65 mph and it was fine.

So, I would suggest that while "formulas" work most of the time, there are exceptions where other factors ca really mess with the end result.

BTW, the above truck/trailer combo nearly got us killed when the trailer brakes failed, thus our path to the hdt. YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I don't really know about the formulas either but at least they give some idea of what might be needed. What I do know is that when we bought our large popup back in 1974, I started out towing it with a Jeep Commando (stretched CJ) and found it challenging to drive. Traded the Jeep for a Dodge Ramcharger and it got very easy. More recently I towed a 20' travel trailer with a Kia Borrego that was rated to tow the 4k trailer and while it did the job, it was not easy if the wind came up but when I changed to a Dodge crewcab truck it is now a breeze. In both cases the change was both wheelbase and weight of the towing vehicle for the same trailer. 

There's a large group of folks out there that just hitch it up and load it up without any regarded for their safety or the safety of others. Unless some tough action is taken nothing will change. And change will only come from law enforcement officers doing checks. Here in Australia police are now very active in doing roadside checks. Weights being the big issue. It's starting to work because of the large fines.