Mixing duals and super-singles

trimster

I'm considering moving both axles to super-singles. Right now I have a mix of previously owned virgin and recaps that came with the truck. 4 and 4 to be exact.

I'm thinking of moving to super-singles on both axles. However, budgets won't allow for a full change-over. I'd like to do one axle at a time.

I understand that there will be a difference in tire diameter so running with the axles locked is not a good thing. I only lock the axles when I am on rough, gravel, or uneven terrain where it might lift and axle and lose power to the ground. Otherwise, they are unlocked.

Thoughts welcome. Please, this is not a discussion about super singles vs duels. I think I have a good grasp on that issue and have pretty much made a decision.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I found a full set last fall. Local truck parts yard. Had a truck with 80% Michelin's on the truck. They offerd those 4 tires and wheels to me for $350. per unit. If I were you look for a deal like that.

Don't think you would have an issue with wide base tires on one axle. While running duals on the other axle.

event.png

Myself, I would save up some coin if possible and do it all at once. The ride between the two is very different.

That said, shop the used market. Used wide base rims are basically worth the price of scrap aluminum. At least here in the mid west. I sold a set of 4 last year for what the half used tires were worth, guy got the rims free. Neither him nor I wanted the rims. He said he had a bunch of rims from buying used tires to put on his working truck.

It would be interesting to see a truck with super singles in front of a set of duals. Photos please. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 minute ago, Wrknrvr said:

You could go to the outlaw tire scenario.

Just saying,    Vern in a T-shirt 

Outlaw tire scenario?

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Well this will get some of us talking. Good, bad and ugly.

Pick your best 4 tires on the rear axles. Install them on outside position only. Before you do this you do need to run a die over the studs all the way to the brake drum.  So that the wheels will tighten up to the drums.

I did say outlaw way. Now things may hit the fan on this subject.

I do sorta run on the edge at times. Like you do what. When I was young I worked in a office. Suit and tie, new car. Then I fell of the cliff.

And done a lot of strange stuff with mechanical things since then.

At the present time I have figured out a way to make adjustable bullet mold to changed the length of bullets I want to cast. Making those bullet molds with a 7/8” threaded rod.

Okkkkk now I just, I did say outlaw way.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

When you put singles on an axle that was not designed to use them, you end up with about 4 inch narrower wheel track. Which slightly reduces stability, especially noticeable on curving roads or in heavy broadside wind conditions.

You might be able to find offset wheels that will make up for this...I have no information on that option.

Just so you know about this up front.

Nothing to see here. 

20 hours ago, podwerkz said:

When you put singles on an axle that was not designed to use them, you end up with about 4 inch narrower wheel track. Which slightly reduces stability, especially noticeable on curving roads or in heavy broadside wind conditions.

You might be able to find offset wheels that will make up for this...I have no information on that option.

Just so you know about this up front.

The flip side is when you put duals on a wide track axle that came with singles, your truck is now 102 wide.

And unless you have really good fenders, you will have mud on your mirrors.

So, I guess I could put just the aluminum rims (without tires) on the inside to preserve total width.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

You could do that. But if you clean the studs back to the brake drum. Then you can just bolt the wheels on like you normally would.

I will take a picture tomorrow. It is raining outside now.

Vern in a T-shirt 

Edited by Wrknrvr

Just pull the inside duals off and run single skinny tires. That's what I would do if I had a tandem. I have actually thought about that with my single axle. If I ever ruin a drive tire I will be running single skinny. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Sorry for not posting this before. So the picture was cut smaller when posted it. But it shows the brake drum to the inside.

The inner bearing is just inside the brake drum. The outer bearing is at the end of the hub on the outside just next to the where the axle bolts on.

Vern in a T-shirt 

ktUWxPvl.jpg

Edited by Wrknrvr

On 8/21/2021 at 8:38 AM, jenandjon said:

If I ever ruin a drive tire I will be running single skinny. 

It's somewhat common in commercial trucking to 'single out' a set of duals when the need arises (blown tire, and close to the delivery or pickup point, or close to the home location, or far from a truck tire shop) AND when the overall load on the axle is low, such as when the trailer is empty (or nearly empty) and simply needs to 'limp' back to the home terminal.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

When a driver would call me with a flat tire, I would ask him how much of a load he had in the trailer.  Any time he had a half a load or less I would have a road service single it out and replace it when he got back to the shop.   
I always thought if I ever get a tandem to pull my 5th wheel I would single all the tires and have a way to shut off the air to each air bag.  So that way if I got a flat I could shut of the air to the bag and remove the tire and chain up the axle on that side and drive it to a shop to replace the tire.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 8/20/2021 at 6:12 PM, trimster said:

So, I guess I could put just the aluminum rims (without tires) on the inside to preserve total width.

You would only lose an inch. I doubt you wold notice that.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

5 minutes ago, noteven said:

Also if you trust yourself swinging the bead axe at your just freshly polished Alcoa wheel who needs a tire shop if you carry a spare?

Tire change on the truck

Ya. That would not come out well. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Yall had to know I'd butt into this conversation...there are some states that make it illegal to operate a motor vehicle with "one or more tires removed".

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 minute ago, Big5er said:

Yall had to know I'd butt into this conversation...there are some states that make it illegal to operate a motor vehicle with "one or more tires removed".

That would be interesting to know which ones. Not even sure how to search for that.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I can only speak for the state I worked in for 34years.. Texas. The others, well that would be a long long internet search. And something that I bet 98% of average street cops wouldn't even know about. Your traffic or commercial enforcement officers probably would, so the odds are definitely in your favor to not get caught.

But you can bet that I'm not the only cop (now retired) in Texas that knows.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

17 hours ago, Big5er said:

Are you saying with a tire removed but the rim still there or in the case of us singling the tractor when the tractor originally had 4 sets of tandems and now only has two sets, one on each side, or change out the tandems to singles, either skinny singles or super singles? I am assuming the first where the rim is still on the vehicle but without a tire.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Interesting that this subject was started.  I am considering the options of what to do with that issue since I have 8 22.5s dated 2007 that are on my new to me 730.  I was talking to an associate that runs material with a transfer truck.  He bought the truck with all super singles except the fronts.  He has been driving this rig for more than 12 years and his perpsective was enlightening.  

I am now considering singling long, and with the price of tires, he referred me to a guy near me that does it(ironically he is looking for tractor to replace his current one, but is finding mostly dual axle trucks, but he needs single) for around $1600-1800.  Deferring the expense of 4 tires($1600-1800) to singling, this is making more sense, but having limited experience, I am still researching the pros & cons.

Marcel

3 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Interesting that this subject was started.  I am considering the options of what to do with that issue since I have 8 22.5s dated 2007 that are on my new to me 730.  I was talking to an associate that runs material with a transfer truck.  He bought the truck with all super singles except the fronts.  He has been driving this rig for more than 12 years and his perpsective was enlightening.  

I am now considering singling long, and with the price of tires, he referred me to a guy near me that does it(ironically he is looking for tractor to replace his current one, but is finding mostly dual axle trucks, but he needs single) for around $1600-1800.  Deferring the expense of 4 tires($1600-1800) to singling, this is making more sense, but having limited experience, I am still researching the pros & cons.

BTW- he did not recommend super singles(he has them because the rig came with them and because of weight reduction he is able to haul more material, so he makes more $ per load), as they have their own issues and with the use we have for our trucks, the impracticality of it outweighs the practicality as well as the cost, tires for super singles are not a savings and the issue of flats without the safety factor of being able to continue on the 1 tire per axle remaining, seems to indicate that they arent the best idea for most of us.  Now this is my understanding of his opinion, but I respect his experience.

Marcel