Old school wood bed

PSD_Tweaker

Considering the cost of a steel bed, some new-comers to this HDT choice might be interested in a deck that allows under-bed storage for cargo, and tools, as well as a generator.

Also easily adaptable to changes like installing a motorcycle mount.

This bed it plywood that has a fibreglass veneer, it’s generally called deck-ply.

The bed cost with under-bed storage boxes was under $600.00

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/1q6XSAyl.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by PSD_Tweaker
Photo attempt

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

Thanks!

https://imgur.com/vhcCrU9

https://imgur.com/a/7sg6iue

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/ZRpB8TSl.jpg[/IMG]

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/T26uskz.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/T26uskzl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]
[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/m3zZPvb.png[/IMG][URL=https://i.imgur.com/T26uskz.jpg "target=new"]Click For Full-Size Image[/URL].

Edited by PSD_Tweaker
I keep trying to upload pics

1998 VOLVO 610 VED-12 @ 425 HP with 13 speed, 22.5" rubber, TC Equipped, single 3.70 drive axle, 193'' WB. REESE, 30K 4 way rocker-hitch, Jordan Ultima 2020. Under-frame mounted Honda 3000 ei, Towing a DRV MobileSuites- 36TK3 with TrailAir Pin Box, a Yamaha Road Star 1700 on deck. http://diesel-gypsy.blogspot.com

I'm on track to have $11k in our bed.  That's including a new ET hitch, 4 large tool boxes (24x24x24), Jacklopee, and a deck of 3/16" steel, on a tandem truck.  Agreed, not cheap, but almost half of that is the hitch, lights, tie downs, etc.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Price of wood lately, cheaper to build with steel. Just sayin'.

I know wood prices are stupid now, but so is steel prices.  I bought a 2x2x20 .120 wall tubing the other day at a near by steel distributor for $90.   My building with wood or steel has been put on hold.......

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

On 8/9/2021 at 9:49 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

Price of wood lately, cheaper to build with steel. Just sayin'.

As much as I want to say "who gives a damn", Darryl is right

😁😁😁

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I will say that I had a wood bed on my Freightliner when I purchased it, it vibrated apart,  They had assembled it with construction screws,  so I added steel angle brackets and aircraft lock nuts and the wallowed out the holes in 6 months.  I finally replaced it with a metal one.  Just my experience.  

18 hours ago, Big5er said:

😁😁😁

👍 It's like deja-vu all over again.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

30K miles, two years and this $600 wood bed is as good as the day built.  Of course wood prices have skyrocketed but still a cheap and durable way to go.  I don't worry about scratches or powdercoat wear.  Just add a layer of Watco Wood Oil once a year and it's good to go for another year.

J3L1iohl.jpg

Edited by Brad NSW

2094790416_NewHorizonsmall.jpg.b597b886c0fa2457938fb2cfe3e6cd0b.jpg

2010 Freightliner, DD15 Eaton Ultrashift, 2015 New Horizons 5th Wheel.

Occupants - Dena/Brad/Hershey    BLOG LINK

500964784_statemapDec2020.jpg.66ea16945a2c1c745783b95e33e702c9.jpg

I like the wood beds. I think they have character. They will require more maintenance but thats OK. If I hadn't found the bed I did for free mine would be wood. We just so happened to have a carpenter employed at the farm at that time I buit the truck so not problem.

We had long conversations over many Bud Lights as to the pros and cons of revamping the steel bed over building the wood deck.  What made my my mind up was the steel bed was free and I already had it as well as the maintenance the wood deck will need.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 8/11/2021 at 6:18 PM,  Big5er said: 

😁😁😁

On 8/12/2021 at 1:03 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

👍 It's like deja-vu all over again.

You guys are hilarious.  😜

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Is anybody talking about a wood deck with ramps and tie-downs for a smart car?  I assume it’s possible.  I think I’ve seen a Jeep on a long wooden bed, but I can’t swear to it.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

25 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

Is anybody talking about a wood deck with ramps and tie-downs for a smart car?  I assume it’s possible.  I think I’ve seen a Jeep on a long wooden bed, but I can’t swear to it.

Realistically, a wood bed can handle almost anything that a steel deck can. With additional steel, the lines blur even further.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

26 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

My deck is wood planking over an aluminum frame.  We'll be adding a smart later this summer.  I'll probably use the Jack Mayer system and add a angle of aluminum underneath aligned with the rails.

2017 Jayco Designer 37rs "Fiona"

2007 Volvo 670 "Henry"

Our wood deck has had a Smart car on it since Day one.  Easy on/off and it's loadable from either side.  Ramp extensions ensure I don't drag the bottom of the Smart car when airbags are still full.

GUdY5Lwl.jpg

How are your joists fastened to the frame?  Flat plates through-bolted to both the frame and the joist?  Looks like 4x4 decking. 
Do you strap the ramps on top when you’re driving?

I think about a bed quite often.  Last year we left the rental house which would have been a good place to build one.  We were there for a number of years, but I was down with surgeries which limited my mobility, and in between there was a pesky full time job to distract me from my true occupation of working on our rig.   So I decided it was time to enjoy the fruits of our labor and travel.  The smart bed is still just a dream at this point.  I have confidence in my skills, but fabbing a big steel deck is no longer a possibility for me/us.  On the other hand I still have many of the tools needed for a wood deck, given a place and the time, it could happen.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

On 8/10/2021 at 11:51 AM, dennisvr said:

I know wood prices are stupid now, but so is steel prices.  I bought a 2x2x20 .120 wall tubing the other day at a near by steel distributor for $90.   My building with wood or steel has been put on hold.......

I bought 4 sheets of 3/4" plywood 2 months ago, over $300.  I am on hold too.

Marcel

On 8/9/2021 at 6:55 PM, PSD_Tweaker said:

The bed cost with under-bed storage boxes was under $600.00

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/1q6XSAyl.jpg[/IMG]

Can anyone see the image?  I was not able to.  West system epoxy covered with a layer of glass would last a long time.

Kevin and June

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

14 hours ago, Sculptor said:

How are your joists fastened to the frame?  Flat plates through-bolted to both the frame and the joist?  Looks like 4x4 decking. 
Do you strap the ramps on top when you’re driving?

I think about a bed quite often.  Last year we left the rental house which would have been a good place to build one.  We were there for a number of years, but I was down with surgeries which limited my mobility, and in between there was a pesky full time job to distract me from my true occupation of working on our rig.   So I decided it was time to enjoy the fruits of our labor and travel.  The smart bed is still just a dream at this point.  I have confidence in my skills, but fabbing a big steel deck is no longer a possibility for me/us.  On the other hand I still have many of the tools needed for a wood deck, given a place and the time, it could happen.

Sculptor, I used 10 very large U-bolts to secure two 2x8 stringers to the rails.  Then laid the 2x6s crosswise.  Used two 4" angle pieces to stiffen the ends.  Done in a weekend.  Below is a montage of the process.

DGZ6BoZl.jpg

Edited by Brad NSW