Vehicle insurance

Hey all,

I've been R V'ing a couple years now. My insurance agent and company is not happy that I travel all the time. I will be looking for new insurance company that doesn't get wigged out when a client travels full time. Any ideas are much appreciated.  i am becoming a citizen of South Dakota mid August, I noticed one of the mail forward services has in house insurance agents. Is this a good route or should I look for independent agent and company. What works for you?

George the Greek  

• 2 weeks later...

Can't compare because we have only had NGIC (National General) since we began full-time in 2014. Recently we had total loss on both our 5th wheels and major damage to our truck. National General came through and were great to deal with at a very stressful time. Always easy to get someone in the phone and the adjusters they sent out were so professional and thorough. Replacement value on one 5th wheel and market value on the other. Plus getting the truck back like new. I honestly can't say enough good about how they helped us out when we needed it most.

• 3 weeks later...

I just got a cuote from the insurance folks at Americas Mail box $1,146 for 6 months on my dodge Ram pick up and another $541 for the camper.. the policy i have now is $448 for 6 months truck and camper.. Problem is the insurance I have now doesnt like I travel so I need to replace it but this is highway robbery  I will call some of the places you have suggested below thanks again and I hope I can afford to continue driving

G tG

With the internet you can search just like insurance agencies do. In fact there are websites that will give you the best price. I have found that if I pay the bill in full before the policy year starts I will get the best price. That said, all RV insurance is not the same, there are considerations like replacement coast, which some insurance companies don't offer. In a state like Texas all auto policies are standard, you chose the limits you want.

Check the breakdown of your coverage for something along the lines of "fulltimer liability," for about $100/year, just to be sure.  Places like the ones Kirk mentioned understand fulltimers, but it never hurts to double-check.

Years ago I had Geico quote a fulltimer policy for me, but when I checked the breakdown, I didn't see a premium for fulltimer liability.  When I called back, I was told that "fulltimer" to them meant that the policy was good for traveling 365 days a year.  However, I think most fulltimers want the personal liability coverage they no longer have when they give up homeowner's or renter's coverage.  I certainly did.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, JosephLCampo said:

Agreed! I've also used their rates are great.

Just for clarification; the link you posted isn't the same as Miller RV Insurance, used by many RVers.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

On 12/15/2021 at 9:04 AM, Darryl&Rita said:

Just for clarification; the link you posted isn't the same as Miller RV Insurance, used by many RVers.

And I went to the Miller Hanover website and they don't even mention RVs, much less fulltimer coverage.  Fulltimer insurance is a world unto itself, and best left to the people who are familiar with it.  Fortunately, there are only a few, so it makes shopping easier.

• 3 weeks later...
On 7/13/2021 at 4:41 PM, Kirk W said:

I would use one of the agencies that are known in the RV world. I like to shop more than one agency or company.

Miller insurance

RV Advantage

Explorer Insurance

Foremost Insurance

Thanks, Kirk for these leads. I have Progressive now and they hiked my premium by almost 50% when I traded up from an F250 to a 350. I know the 350 is a higher value truck but that alone doesn't justify a 50% premium hike. The agent couldn't even explain why it went up so much.

11 hours ago, Mike M said:

I have Progressive now and they hiked my premium by almost 50% when I traded up from an F250 to a 350. I know the 350 is a higher value truck but that alone doesn't justify a 50% premium hike. The agent couldn't even explain why it went up so much.

Did you look at the individual elements of the premium to see which parts went up and by how much?  That might help you figure out what's going on.

I once had a huge increase in my premium and figured out it was almost all due to a doubling of the premium for my comprehensive, which meant they were most likely recovering big losses due to weather events in my garaged location (even though as a fulltimer I'm almost never in my garaged location).

On yours, if you have collision coverage, look at how much that went up.  If it was a lot, it could be simply due to the value of the truck, and you can easily compare Progressive's collision premium to the collision premium in quotes you get, to see if Progressive is out of line with the others. 

Too many companies just quote a total, but I insist on a breakdown so I can see what's going on under the hood of the quote, so to speak.

• 4 weeks later...