Jackalopee Plug

NTHEWIND

OK So have been working on and off again on my 2012 Freightliner Day Cab single axle installing a DirecLink brake controller and Jackalopee. This might be child's play for some of you, but I found this installation very 'challenging' for me. I bought this truck for the main duty of pulling my 5th wheel gooseneck, a new 32' Load Trail. I have also decided that this HDT might be a better option to pull my 5th wheel toy Hauler. I got done with everything except permanently mounting the plug. I backed up to my goose neck and tried to plug it in to the provided plug that came with my Jackalopee. It would not push all the way in. It lacked just a bit to get it far enough for the lid to snap down on the tab. I pushed as much as I could and it just would not fit. I then backed up to my 5th wheel and that plug went right in. mmmmm. I looked at the plug on the 5th wheel and the slots were kind of wide, I looked at the plug on the goose neck and the slots are really thin. Has anybody else had this problem? Or heard of anything like this? I am thinking that I might have to get another plug that will work on both and rewire it. Boy what a PITA wiring that plug was!!! 

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Alright, after stepping back from this for a few hours I went back and looked at everything again, and found something 'interesting' I looked closer at the gooseneck plug and notice some color code next to the pin. they are different from what I have read and wired the plug coming out of the Jackalopee. Starting at the one' O' clock it's labeled Brown, yellow, white, blue,green,red and the center pin is marked black.   The way I I believe I've got it wired from the Jackalopee (standard RV order ???) Starting at 1 0 clock, Green, red, white, Blue, Brown, Black with the center pin marked yellow. So it there a different Plug for a Goose Neck, one more thing, there is no center 'pin' it's just a blank hole. 

The center pin on RVs is for the yellow wire and does nothing on probably 99% of RVs. On older RVs it used to carry reverse light current.

RV sockets and plugs are indeed an absolute PITA to wire, that's why I am creating a wiring guide to make it more palatable. There is another issue I became aware about. Apparently some manufacturers found another "source" for the RV plugs than those manufactured forever in the past by Pollak. They are different enough to make it very hard to go into Pollak socket supplied with the Jackalopee. I bet you in our "global economy" they found somebody who can save them 10 cents per plug in some "developing country" with a knock-off mold and a buck per hour labor.

NTHEWIND, I have some matching Pollak plugs, give me a call, I'll be happy to sent you one.

Edited by phoenix2013

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. You were very helpful in the telephone conversations we had, but I am still having problems. I bought a different plug from Tractor Supply yesterday, the brand is Hopkins. I checked and made sure that the plug from my gooseneck would plug into it, it did. so I pulled all the wires out of the Pollak plug and wired the Hopkins. My first try at checking the lights, nothing happened, I was not hooked up to the trailer so I thought it might have been a ground problem, ( I thought it was was supposed to ground itself from the plug) So I got a Jumper cable and grounded the trailer to the truck, success!, we got lights. My euphoria was short lived, I didn't have any left turn signal on the trailer. To make matters worst the lights on the tractor were flashing that quick blink, that's what they do when a light is out. So I start trying to figure it all out. All the turn lights on the tractor, front signal, side marker/turn signal on the fender and the rear taillight are all flashing the quick flash. I unplugged the trailer and to my surprise the tractor still was on the quick flash. So did something happen to the truck to make my life more miserable? I checked the plug coming from the Jackalopee, I didn't get any blinking light on any pin. so no power ( no wonder no turn signal). By now I'm done for the day. Going to go at it today. I still have one unanswered question. The Wiring connector in the trailer owners manual shows starting at 1o clock, Brown, (Tail Lights) YELLOW! (LEFT turn signal) White (Ground) Blue or Black ( Brakes) Green (Right turn signal) Red (Charge Line)  Nothing for a center pin, in fact there isn't even a pin in the center.  This is different from the way I wired the plug from the Jackalopee. Mostly the yellow wire is in the center.   I should also point out that I pulled this trailer with my 2500 HD GMC from the dealer and again to move my skid steer a short ways using the in the bed RV plug and everything seemed to work, lights, turn signals, brakes. ........... I am going CRAZY with this project! I'm going out today for more abuse and frustration. 

I'm going to post a quick update. I learned something today, as did my Freightliner friend. The reason I had a quick flashing left turn signals and no power to the trailer plug. There is a fuse under the hood for the turn signals JUST for the trailer plug. I found this out from a YOUTUBE video. My friend who had owned several Cascadiea's did not know that. I'm still buttoning up this project tomorrow, hopefully everything will work as it should.  

8 hours ago, NTHEWIND said:

. The Wiring connector in the trailer owners manual shows starting at 1o clock, Brown, (Tail Lights) YELLOW! (LEFT turn signal) White (Ground) Blue or Black ( Brakes) Green (Right turn signal) Red (Charge Line)

14 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

One thing I have found trailer manufacturers seem to delight in using wire colors other than what they say.

There's several wiring diagrams floating around the intewebs. The user needs to pay attention to the small print, as some are shown from the front of the device while others are from the back.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

I am sorry, but I see different wire locations and colors. This photo is from there Load Trail owners manual. I talked with a guy from engineering that confirmed they are using a standard RV Wiring plug.    I guess I must be living in the Twilight Zone or an alternate universe where Red is Black, yellow is red, green is brown ,some plugs will work, some are different and won't work. and every way is wrong. 

Edited by NTHEWIND

3 hours ago, NTHEWIND said:

I am sorry, but I see different wire locations and colors. This photo is from there Load Trail owners manual. I talked with a guy from engineering that confirmed they are using a standard RV Wiring plug.    I guess I must be living in the Twilight Zone or an alternate universe where Red is Black, yellow is red, green is brown ,some plugs will work, some are different and won't work. and every way is wrong. 

I bought a Load Trail a couple of years ago and it works on my old RV socket.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

3 hours ago, NTHEWIND said:

NTHEWIND google RV plug wiring, multitude examples of this

qwyKNYQl.jpg

Whoever you talked to and whoever wrote that manual reside in an alternate Universe.

The reason I got "motivated" to create a wiring manual was a picture a customer shared with me.

TqUldNXl.jpg

This was the "electrical portion" of his bed conversion for which he paid good money. Needles to say this Jackalopee no longer functions and he's in the midst of replacing it with a new one. The manual will show how to do this

GCnTpB2l.jpg 

which should result in this.

3uXDkAXl.jpg

Just to "clarify", Jackalopee does not need to look "this pretty" to function. Longer wires with good crimps in right locations will work just fine. But, doing it the way I show actually shortens the installation time and makes it easier to troubleshoot things if there are issues.

Edited by phoenix2013

• 3 weeks later...

The installation manual is still a "work in progress", those who requested the latest version, I have a list of your names and email addresses. In the meantime I gathered some info from the Jackalopee land.

PobZWQbl.jpg

I have those available for prospective hunters, note firearms limitations.

9Tq7a7jl.jpg

It's obvious this lass was hunting without the permit.

K1cA2v2l.jpg

Had an interesting conversation with customer installing a Jackalopee in his Peterbilt, wants to pull his fifth with it but currently he is pulling the fifth with a Ford pickup. We were going round and round with the color code on the right side (RV side) of the Jackalopee, didn't seem to jive with the industry code. I posted it few posts above. Of particular concern I had was "which wire on the right side is connected to the +12V and the batteries in the fifth" since the black wire was doing something else. After some poking he said "my Ford setup has been working and Ford charges the fifth on the red wire".

Hmm, if the Ford charges on the red wire and fifth plug matches the color code,  the red wire coming back to the Jackalopee has nice and juicy  300 Amps of battery current to feedback into the red tab. Red tab is wired as LEFT/STOP.

Over the last decade I've had three Jackalopees come back in sad shape with cooked etches on the boards. Never got a straight answer why? "It just burnt up". I replaced first one under warranty, haven't heard anything, next two they had to buy new ones. Never heard anything from those either.

39Y3Moil.jpg

Take a peek at the PCB

iF4XUODl.jpg

The burnt etch starts at LEFT/STOP red wire, me thinks my mystery is no more. Anyone with a knowledge of Ford pre-wired RV plugs scheme, inquiring mind wants to know. 

From this web site:

https://rhondajones.top/

Ford Trailer Plug Wiring Diagram - People today comprehend that trailer is a vehicle comprised of very complicated mechanisms. This automobile is designed not just to travel 1 location to another but also to carry heavy loads. This article will be discussing ford trailer plug wiring diagram. Which are the benefits of understanding these knowledge? You will be surprised to understand it.

7-plug-truck-wiring-diagram-gmc-wiring-diagram-ford-trailer-plug-wiring-diagram.jpg

IMG_856.png.ae22d1dc2b12f9fb806b4e17121ee0b0.png

2017 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2020 Volvo VNR 42-640, D13, 455hp, Ishift, 189"wb, factory single, ET Junior Hitch @ 195", Jacklopee, Directlink

2016 GMC 3500 Denali DRW, CC, LB, Curt 25k, Sold

First year engineering prof said the most important thing you'll take from this course is the following phrase, "Constants aren't, and variables won't". This many years later, that's the only thing I remember from that course. Time has proven him right.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.