Stuck in Prineville, Or. -D13 in derate

trimster

Cleaning connections, especially grounds is not a bad thing. Now I am not saying this to cause extra headache, and my Volvo experience is limited, but from my experience with off highway equipment, com system errors are quite often a single controller going bad.

Think of it this way, the canbus is very much like an old party line telephone. What happens is old lady Edna gets liquored up and is ranting gibberish into her phone. Nobody else can do anything on that line because she won’t cut them a break. Now every once in a while she makes a little bit of sense, but nothing useful in context.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, trimster said:

. You don't have engine brake, mph reading. I use my GPS for MPH.

This is how I am getting around.

I feel your pain .... I lost my dash due to an ECM going bad... it was intermittent and took forever to track down.  One day I'd have the tac and fuel gauge, next day nothing, 3rd day everything would work perfect.....

Jim's Adventures

Old Spacecraft.... Who knows whats next

14 hours ago, trimster said:

NOTE to all in this position. To defeat the Derate 5mph limit here's what you do.

- crawl under the truck and on the passengers side of the trans tail-shaft, right before the first U-joint is a sensor sticking out. This is the speed sensor. It has a 1/2 turn collar to release it. DO NOT pull on the wires. Just unscrew 1/2 turn and pull the connector out.

- Now, go to the fuse box located under the hood next to the steering shaft, on the firewall. Unplug the 10a fuse for the ECM. Mine is FU11. Put the fuse in one of the empty slots in the top area of the fuse box for safe keeping.

Restart the truck.

Esc out of all the warnings.

You will now be limited to 1500 rpms, about 80% power and you will have to manually shift your auto shift. You CAN push the button twice in succession to skip gears. Be ready for the trans to loose its mind when you stop at a light. 

-Press the down gear button on the shifter and it will take a few seconds to get a gear. Impatient people will honk at you.

You can do 65mph or so in 12th. You don't have engine brake, mph reading. I use my GPS for MPH.

This is how I am getting around.

That is interesting. Didn't know the injectors would fire without an ecm. Great info.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

27 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

That is interesting. Didn't know the injectors would fire without an ecm. Great info.

They won't. He's only killing power to part of the ECM by removing one fuse.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Trim 

I just logged on... Sorry to hear about your problems.

We are presently at our Bend hillbilly property ...  One forested acre in the middle of a building crazy city.

I was born in Prineville so take what I say with a grain of salt.... 

BY FAR the very best Industrial /Heavy Electrical Master you will EVER meet is Huston who has owned IAE in Bend for longer than you have been alive....he is nearly blind these days but don't let that fool you.... He ALWAYS save the day and his shop is stunning he STOCKS millons on the shelf.....

Call me here in Bend on my cell 520.891.3695

If you get in a bind for a place to park over the fourth you are welcome to hang out at our hillbilly acre but it can be a trip to get through all the craziness of building construction here in Bend these days... 

Cowgirl has a horse Kamp reserved this Wednesday for a few weeks so if you need to use our Bend place call soon and I could drive over to Prineville and pick you up and bring you over here and show you the local streets to navigate Crazy Bend...

Hang in there and give me a ring...

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Monday morning you might consider calling and ask for Huston....

Industrial Applied Electric

Address: 163 NE. Underwood Ave., Bend, OR 97701

Phone: 541-382-6636 1-800-750-6630
Fax Number: 541-382-9485
Email: mail@iaebend.com
Business Hours: 8:00 am to 5:30
8:00am to 12:00 noon Sat

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

19 minutes ago, usbusin said:

Bob, did you take your truck back to TEC and were they able to troubleshoot?

I did. Got it in first thing Monday. 3pm after working on it, they took it for a test run. Comms problems persist.  Failed.

Called 11am this morning and they are working on someone else's truck. WTF. Will get back to mine after lunch. Let them know I'm under a bit of a deadline here. I'm going to keep the pressure on them.

On the plus side...big storm hit yesterday afternoon. Much needed rain. Big winds & lightening show.  Overcast with sprinkles today. Break in the heat. But sunday....101+.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Sorry to hear that.  Do you have confidence in the shop personnel?  I sure hope they find the problem soon.  Did you or they clean any connections?  You mentioned the battery terminals. 

It was not that hot when we were through there last week!  But, it was hot here at home +100F.  Today a nice 80F. 

Edited by usbusin

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

I didn't do anything to the truck before taking it to them.

Confident in the techs? Not sure yet. Service mgr is very knowledgeable.  Actual hands-on guy? Not getting enough feedback to draw a conclusion other than lack of feedback does speak to a possible issue.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Every time our truck has been in the shop, we've made a decision before even touching the door handle. Need it fast, or can it wait? Need it fast, I'll live in the Drivers' Lounge, checking in the shop every hour. I carry steel toed boots, hi-vis vest, safety glasses, and gloves. I will walk right past the "No Customers beyond this Point" sign all damn day. We've also left it for a fill-in project, when the rear main seal was done. Called them twice in a week to keep up to date, otherwise, it was their job.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Okay. Update....

Just got off the phone with the technician. He's sharp. 

-derate fixed.  Corroded connection + wire rub thru that has corroded inside. 

- data problems with engine ecu and dash.: still a mystery.  Throws check engine light but won't log any codes. He's puzzled but has one other harness to look over.

The truck is ready tomorrow noon. I think we're back on the road to our next destination come Friday. 

Thanks all.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Sounds like you're getting closer, Bob.  Glad you found a good tech. Hope they treat you fairly on the invoice. Was the wire that rubbed through in a visible location or hidden? Have a safe trip to your next destination. 

2001 Freightliner FL70, Cat 3126b 300hp, 860 lb/ft, 6 speed manual Eaton/Fuller

Motorhome body by Transport Designs (37 ft overall)

Motorhome Specs and Pictures

Our Music Ministry

Truck is back in front of the trailer.

Bill was an ouch but less than expected. Got a chuckle out of the shop supplies (zip ties). Crap load of them.

So they kept the wire that was corroded and it has a small hole in it, near the pin connector that allowed salt water, etc to get inside. Not much copper left in there. Another was rubbed through.

There was a resistor missing in one of the circuit wires and a fuse link. Must have been a Volvo mod that was not done.

Trans and one other software update was pushed. Trans shifts better.

The nagging issue, and it will remain for a while, is the check engine light. There's still a coms error between the dash and something else. It throws an error but no code appears in the list (using the volvo software). Head scratcher. That would mean a total dash pull and digging into that harness. Shop time.... 20 hrs min. That will wait. Even at their seemingly reasonable $135/hr (it's $190 in Salt Lake). I know there's an error from the rear dif temp sensor. Not caring about that.

If anyone is interested, I will create a PDF out of the bill and post a link. Lots of notes.

You should have seen the dirt and pile of cut zip ties where the truck was worked on. 

So we're back and free to roam around in the heat wave. Corvallis area next stop on Friday, for a few weeks. 111 expected on Sunday. OMG. Me thinks we need to motate further north soon.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Good to hear that you're back up and running. Wiring issues are turning into the 2nd major reason for roadside thumb twiddling, and can be an absolute horror story to find. Almost time to go back to an old, mechanical machine. Almost.

Please e-mail us here.

27 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Almost time to go back to an old, mechanical machine. Almost.

Agreed.  Every time I think about what a PITA all the electrics can be, I remember back when I had to do so much more maintenance on each vehicle, and how the sky would be brown for weeks in the summer.  I'm not a tree huger, but I filtered my share of dirt and smog in my formative years.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

Glad to hear that you are back on the road again. I followed your saga and can really feel for you. If you find the cause of the no data from the rear end sensor I would interested because I have that showing up. I changed the sensor and cleaned up a couple of splices someone else made but it still displays intermittently. I have not chased it.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

1 hour ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

Glad to hear that you are back on the road again. I followed your saga and can really feel for you. If you find the cause of the no data from the rear end sensor I would interested because I have that showing up. I changed the sensor and cleaned up a couple of splices someone else made but it still displays intermittently. I have not chased it.

I've chased it to a point just behind the cab without luck. Had more important things to do so pit it off until "someday".

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

21 hours ago, trimster said:

I've chased it to a point just behind the cab without luck. Had more important things to do so pit it off until "someday".

I chased mine as far as a big bundle of wires and quit. I know the rear end is full of fluid so I was good. Maybe this is one of those things I can get turned off so it does not display. Also a 'someday' project. Now that you are back in operation it is time to enjoy yourself.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

2 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

I chased mine as far as a big bundle of wires and quit. I know the rear end is full of fluid so I was good. Maybe this is one of those things I can get turned off so it does not display. Also a 'someday' project. Now that you are back in operation it is time to enjoy yourself.

My readouts are now covered by a 9" monitor for my cameras. I moved any active switches to other positions on the dash. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Glad you are back up and running.  I hope you enjoy your trip.  Try to stay cool.  It was good to see you at your stop in at the rally.  The beer was very good by the way.  Thank you.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

58 minutes ago, Chad Heiser said:

Glad you are back up and running.  I hope you enjoy your trip.  Try to stay cool.  It was good to see you at your stop in at the rally.  The beer was very good by the way.  Thank you.

Your welcome.  

Not staying cool. Power went out in the RV park here in Albany 4 hrs ago. Good thing I have the generator in the rear bin. 102 today. 112 tomorrow.  

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

My readouts are now covered by a 9" monitor for my cameras. I moved any active switches to other positions on the dash. 

My readout is on the DID in the middle of the cluster. It bounces between that message and the 'Check brake ECU at next stop'. That message has displayed for 12 years because of the antilock brake light. It is looking for the other axle that is somewhere in Canada.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"