Pets in full time rig.

I have to agree with Kirk.  Cat owners should abide by the same rules that dog owners do.  Keep you cat indoors or on a leash.  Yes, I know several folks that walk their cats on a leash.

I am allergic to cats and they always want to come rub on me.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our cat has traveled all of her life. When she was very little she got out once and was crying at the patio door until we let her back in. Another time she went out of the Foretravel by herself. She was very surprised to find lots of cold, wet white stuff on the ground. I put her back inside and she hasn't gone out by herself since. She sometimes sniffs at the air when the door is open, but has shown no inclination to go outside.

She travels in a cat carrier. When it shows up she knows we'll be going somewhere tomorrow. As we're doing the final packing we have to be sure that the door to the carrier is open. As soon as an engine starts she is in the carrier - and often before.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

On 4/12/2021 at 3:44 PM, sandsys said:

Coyotes like cats, too.

No....they LOVE cats. It is a real dinner treat for coyotes.

I believe we have fed six cats to coyotes over the years. 

I finally had enough on spending money on cats and having them become dinner and answered a ad for a "found cat".  Yeah, he knew how to avoid coyotes.  Unfortunately, he didn't know how to kill mice or rats.  Sometimes, when he was bored he would catch a bird in the middle of the night and release it in our bedroom at 3:00 am.

Then he decided to live 18 years AFTER I rescued him!!!

Cats are cats and dogs are dogs.  Take the good from each and ignore the rest.

Vladimr Steblina

Retired Forester...exploring the public lands.

usbackroads.blogspot.com

More action and different action than I expected with this post. Thank you to all who have shared their experiences. 

Just came in from feeding the "Stray Tuna". She is back outside and seems to prefer that. It will be a hard decision when moving time comes. Do I take her with and hope she will like it enough inside to come back to the mobile home once we get to a new area, or do I leave her in the park and hope another kind soul decides to keep her fed? I will keep the appointment for the sterilization and vaccinations. May even "Chip" her and give my email address for contact if someone finds her and has questions about her from 2021.

She is apparently aware when new food has been placed. I got home from work very late last night, actually it was 0100 this morning. I put food out right away and then had something for myself. Just before turning in I checked the bowl and it was empty. Tonight I sat outside for maybe 2 minutes after putting a scoop of food in the bowl before she showed up and started to chow down. Took her a few minutes before she stopped eating and noticed I was sitting in my chair. She came over for a little attention and then went back to eating. Never did jump in my lap as she did the day I brought her inside. Will wait for that action before bringing her in again, unless it's the day before her surgery appointment and then I will grab her as soon as I can get close. 

To each their own with pets. I prefer female felines, others prefer male canines. Some want many of each or exotic types. I will update as I can and respond to questions if they are brought up. Thanks to all who have read and commented. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Sitting outside last night a new grey cat (not kitten) came from under the location I have been told "Tuna" lives, could be the mother, but didn't get close enough to see if it's female.  Sort of moved slowly across the yard while the young one was eating and then playing a bit. Going out again tonight to see if it occurs again. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

I have no idea about dealing with a feral cat.  Before we full timed our 2 cats had been inside cats.  They adapted to the RV pretty quickly even though it was a truck camper with limited space.  Within the first couple of weeks they tried to escape a couple of times.  After that they adopted the RV as home.  Both cats seemed to like to travel.  We piled up luggage and stuff on the backseat of the truck to make a platform and they would sit there by the hour looking out the windows while we traveled.  

We live in a senior citizen community and it seems that people who plan to dump a cat believe that seniors will adopt them so target the area. While it also happens occasionally with dogs, because cats are much more able to survive on their own it has caused the cat issue to be much greater. Our community has done live-trapping more than once and there have been times that a captured female showed signs of nursing, to indicate that she had ferrial kittens, born wild. While the community has a rule that all pets must be kept indoors or be leashed (as do the majority of RV parks) but a neighbor here recently had their pet cat attacked by a feral cat and the result was vet bills of about $500. That was about 2 weeks ago and just this morning their cat was running free again. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

"While the community has a rule that all pets must be kept indoors or be leashed (as do the majority of RV parks) but a neighbor here recently had their pet cat attacked by a feral cat and the result was vet bills of about $500. That was about 2 weeks ago and just this morning their cat was running free again. "

Slow learner?

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

The Kitten has disappeared. Last time I saw her was Thursday a week ago on my Truck. She wouldn't come to me and I didn't have a chance to see her all week. I sat outside for over two hours today hoping to see her come for her evening meal and have not seen her. In fact the food placed this morning has hardly been touched. 

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Will call the Vet Monday to cancel my appointment to have her "Fixed" on Friday if I can't capture her today or tomorrow. Wish me luck. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

3 hours ago, lappir said:

The Kitten has disappeared. Last time I saw her was Thursday a week ago on my Truck. She wouldn't come to me and I didn't have a chance to see her all week. I sat outside for over two hours today hoping to see her come for her evening meal and have not seen her. In fact the food placed this morning has hardly been touched. 

Hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Will call the Vet Monday to cancel my appointment to have her "Fixed" on Friday if I can't capture her today or tomorrow. Wish me luck. 

Rod

It sounds to me like she has decided to not be your cat. If you catch her and take her anyway, how long will it be before she escapes someplace less familiar to her? Maybe it would be best to accept her choice?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 4/24/2021 at 10:14 PM, sandsys said:

It sounds to me like she has decided to not be your cat. If you catch her and take her anyway, how long will it be before she escapes someplace less familiar to her? Maybe it would be best to accept her choice?

Linda

Sorry you think that, I'm more afraid that something happened to her that wasn't her choice. I am hoping she is OK. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

On 4/26/2021 at 2:41 AM, lappir said:

Sorry you think that, I'm more afraid that something happened to her that wasn't her choice. I am hoping she is OK. 

Rod

14 years ago a stray/feral young cat turned up on my property.  I'd always kept a heated water bucket in the barn for whoever needed it as winters were tough on everybody.  Put food out but she never came close to me.  That spring I'd been to a horse show and upon return the gal who took care of my place said 'oh, your little kittenS are so cute!'  Yep, had 4 little ones.  Fed them, let them play in cat carriers, took pictures, they were a joy to have around.  Was able to trap the Mom, got her fixed.  Never did touch her...her eyes told me that wasn't going to happen.  A couple months later saw her out in a pasture watching me work in the barn.  Never saw her again.  I had to believe she just moved on...but at least, she wasn't having litters of kittens any more.  The barn cats (also fixed) are still thriving even though I no longer own the property.  We do what we can.

Got lucky Monday morning. Had decided Sunday evening to stop feeding what ever was eating the food until I could see who or what. Early Monday I happened to see the Kitten coming out and called her. She came to me and I put out some food. She allowed me to pet her and pick up and bring inside. I put food, water and a litterbox out before heading to work. 

A few hours later I came home to find her sleeping in my bed under the covers. She has stayed inside since and seems to be acclimating well. She didn't eat yesterday until I got home. Tuesday I didn't get home till almost midnight from work and she was again under the covers. She came out for a bit when I first laid down, but I didn't stay awake long. The next morning she was still under the covers when I left for work. 

Last night she played for  a bit before I turned in early. 

Friday I will be taking her in to be fixed. The rest of the story will have to wait until after. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

8 hours ago, lappir said:

I happened to see the Kitten coming out and called her. She came to me and I put out some food. She allowed me to pet her and pick up and bring inside.

I'm glad she chose you before it was too late.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I can now consider Tuna to be my cat. Successful trip to the local vet and was given a clean bill of health, determined to be about a year old, so may not get much bigger. My estimate was a few months only because of size. She weighted in at a little over 6 lbs. Before the Vet did anything I had them scan her for a "Chip" none was found so I had them place one. I will now register it to my email address. I have had only one pet with a Chip, but I was stationary then and it wasn't really necessary. As someone who moves around a bit I think this is important. Will try leash training in a week or two after she has recovered some. Maybe 6 weeks. I remember being pretty sore after a hernia repair a year ago. More than I actually expected. 

Still haven't been able to transfer photos from my phone to PC so I can post one. I really miss Picasa. 

Rod

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/9ZDTxNkl.jpg[/IMG]

Edited by lappir
photo

2007 Honda GL 1800

[IMG]https://i.imgur.com/HByqF5Sl.jpg[/IMG]

2007 Honda GL 1800

12 minutes ago, Pat & Pete said:

Just paste the URL ( no tags ) :

9ZDTxNkl.jpg

Thanks, keep forgetting. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

2 hours ago, Solo18 said:

Thanks for the happy ending!!   

Or Happy Beginning. 

She is settling in nicely, still sleeping (hiding) under the covers on the bed a lot, but is starting to play with toys a bit when I get home. Eats mostly at night, but did come running when I put food in the bowl last night. Food from the morning was mostly still there. I'm here only for 4 more weeks and then will travel for a week and start my next job somewhere in South Dakota. Will see how she does with the big truck. Have blocked off all the places I can think of where she might get into trouble. My hope is she plants herself on the dash and mostly stays there watching the traffic go by. Might try a night sleeping in the truck with her if the weather stays cool. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Rod, I hope she plants herself on your dash and provides many years of company and comfort. Thanks for the story.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

14 hours ago, lappir said:

Have blocked off all the places I can think of where she might get into trouble.

The one we focused on with our traveling cat was his ability to get down by the pedals. As long as he couldn't interfere with braking we felt he could pretty much be everywhere else. So we kept him on a leash attached high behind the passenger seat that gave him freedom of movement everywhere else but wasn't quite long enough for him to get down there.

Linda

• 4 weeks later...