Pets in full time rig.

There may be posts about and I will admit I did not do a search. 

I have had only a very few pets in life. My Mother refused and still refuses to allow "animals" in her home. We had a few outside dogs when growing up, but could never bring them in the house. My Grandmother had an inside dog that we took care of one winter when they went to "Arizona" for the winter, but it got outside once and tried to cross the busy highway to go "home" and my cousin was soon called to rescue and take the dog to their home on the "Farm". We never were entrusted with Grandma's "Zip". 

I rescued a couple cats while in South Florida many years ago. I volunteered at an animal shelter and there was a Calico who had been adopted and returned many times for reason unknown. I took her home and we had many good years together. During the first year a kitten came to the door and wouldn't leave until I opened it. Unfortunately in addition to the kitten we were also blessed with an invasion of Fleas. Took months to get rid of them. I had to take a vacation,  board the felines, set off a couple "Bug Bombs" and hire a friend to set off  a couple more while I was gone before eradicating the pesky things. 

At my current location I noticed a pretty little grey kitten roaming around. I inquired at the office and found it "just showed up a couple days ago". After a week or so I started putting out food and finally got it to accept some attention and it was doing very well. I planned on Saturday taking it to a vaccination clinic, but it somehow knew and wouldn't come close to me until last evening. As soon as it jumped on my lap I grabbed ahold and brought her inside. She didn't resist to the carry, but once inside she started to Meow and headed to my recliner to crawl up inside. My daughters cat does the same thing the first day when I am charged with keeping him during "Winter Break". He comes out the first night though and only goes back if I have company.  The Kitten has not come out that I can see all night. Food left out seems untouched, the litterbox is without foot prints and I haven't heard or seen any movement. I did bring her out once and carried her around early this morning, showed her the food and litter box and let her go. She Meowed a couple times and then just went back to the chair, but in a different location now so I will have to move the chair to get her out.  

How long do I do this or do I just open the door, leave it open and go outside until she finds her way out?  

I have an appointment for the end of the month to at least have her "Fixed" hopefully she is found to be old enough then. 

Mom still says I can't bring the cat when I visit. 

Rod  

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had cats in the barn when I was a kid. Cats are a very independent animal and also quite capable of survival without us. For those reasons they rarely become as close to people as do dogs and many other animals. While I have respect for a cat, my only experience with pets in RVs has been with a dog or dogs. 

We did keep our dogs on Frontline for flea prevention all of the time.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We have had cats and still have one.  This little kitten just showed up one day.  Our house is in the middle of 35 acres and the neighbors all have acreage so it was odd.  I gave her some milk and food and left her out.  That night as we were getting ready for bed she would stretch up on the patio door and slide down wanting in.  I put her in the laundry room for the night.  The next day I had to move the dryer to get her out.  A couple more days of that and now she owns the house but lets us stay.  She is also comfortable in the RV.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

I went out and left the door open for over an hour. I was in and out, but saw nary a hide nor hair. Will look in a bit where I think she is and pull her out once again. Was going to keep her inside until the vet appointment and recovery and then let her come and go as she desires if she would come in the door on her own. My Older cat was not an outside cat, the kitten who came was and would meow at the door to go out and come in. Sometimes would bring a friend from the neighbors play with it outside the front door and then take it back. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Why do you want her out?  It seems it prefers to be in!  Even though you found it outside she may have been an inside kitten.  There's nothing wrong with an inside cat.... they tend to be healthier.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

1 hour ago, 2gypsies said:

There's nothing wrong with an inside cat.... they tend to be healthier.

And they are welcome in the RV parks. I have never understood why some cat owners believe that I should not mind their cat visiting and yet my dog needs to stay at home?

Why do you want her out?  It seems it prefers to be in!  Even though you found it outside she may have been an inside kitten.  There's nothing wrong with an inside cat.... they tend to be healthier.

I want her out of the chair she has been hiding in since this time last night. Has not come out to eat or use the litter box. She crawled way up into the chair that I may have to take it apart to get her out. I'd like for her to stay inside and get used to being here, but I don't want to go  to work tomorrow with her still in the chair. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

It's kind of like when a cat gets caught up in a tree. When it is ready it will come down. Probably when you are gone so it doesn't feel threatened by your presence. Our next cat will be an indoor cat. I don't want to walk outside and find another one that has been hit by a car.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

31 minutes ago, lappir said:

She crawled way up into the chair that I may have to take it apart to get her out.

She is probably frightened. Not quite sure how you overcome that but here is wishing you and your cat a happy future! 

My parents once kitten-sat my brother and his wife's new kitten for a week.  The first day, the kitten disappeared and never came out for the whole week.  They did what you did, left food and a litter box available.  My parents were really upset that the kitten had somehow escaped the house and now they had lost their son's new pet.

Well, the last day, the kitten reappeared.  Apparently, he had been hiding in a bedroom drawer that had an opening in the back big enough for a tiny kitten to get in and out of because they found the clothing made into a cozy bed. 

My guess is that your kitten will come out eventually.  You might want to leave some wet food out for her.  The big problem if you are living in an RV is that you need to be very careful about putting slides in and out while she is hiding. 

Many cats do very well living in an RV, by the way. 

Edited by Solo18

I for one, when I see an animal being mistreated...tied out without shelter or water, left in the cold, etc, I will call the local animal human group and report the owner.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Not all outside pets are being abused. Back on the farm we had cats that were never in the house, but they lived quite well in our barn. We had a dog that lived outside as well but he too had shelter and was never lacking in shelter from the weather. 

Before I went full time I had property, raised a few horses/cattle and had cats.  6 of them, sometimes more, sometimes less (well, not really because they just show up as mentioned above).  The cats could stay in the barns or in the house, most all of them loved the wood stove after a long day of hunting.  I had moved and was down to one, the youngest of the bunch that had gone on to greener pastures.  She was 17, and did well in the RV for a year, then passed.  I went a year without, then got the bug for a cat companion.  Ended up with a 12 week old kitten who has not known anything but traveling about.  Started her in a harness very young and now she's a seasoned walker.  We go when she wants, where she wants and come back on her schedule...she's now 3.5 years old.  All that to say, lots of people have cats in their full time life.  I've seen people let their cats OUT by themselves, I've seen people tether their cat outside, but mostly they are quite happy inside.  It takes patience to walk a cat, it's not like a dog at all.....but when it's blowing a gale or snowing or raining or 100 degrees, my cat is very happy to use her litter box and I don't have to take her outside :)

As for the kitten climbing up the outside screen....read The Silent Meow.

We had working dogs on the ranch and they stayed out.  They had shelter and we fenced them mostly to keep the coyotes at bay.  Bringing a dog from a warm house to work in the cold is very hard on a dog.  They had access to the barn and garage but a proper insulated dog house is where they went when the weather was really bad.  When the weather would start to warm we would often find them on the north side of something where there was still some snow to lay on.  For our dogs heat was the weather that was tuff on them.  Our dogs hated to come inside during the winter as it was to warm.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

55 minutes ago, dirtyboots said:

.  I've seen people let their cats OUT by themselves, I've seen people tether their cat outside, but mostly they are quite happy inside.  It takes patience to walk a cat, it's not like a dog at all.....but when it's blowing a gale or snowing or raining or 100 degrees, my cat is very happy to use her litter box and I don't have to take her outside

I have an 11yo female traveling cat companion who loves the RV life. I do let her out by herself, even at night, when it's warm enough.  She loves that, and I've found many campgrounds where there is little risk of predators...so far at least.  I don't sleep real well when she's out, as I get up about every 2 hours to check on her, but so far we're good.  And I do walk with her, unleashed, during the day. I love to watch her climb trees and run.  Took a couple years for us to get that down.

I do see cats camping from time to time, but they're almost always inside or harnessed.  That's fine, just not my style, or hers.  I'd post a pic but I see the file size is pretty small.

Edited by hemsteadc

When we were first married we had a kitten we taught to ride in the car and walk on a leash because we knew we would be moving across many states in a few months. When traveling he would sit up in the back window and watch the world go by. It was fun to see the swiveling heads on people passing us as they saw our kitten watching them.

Linda

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

1 hour ago, hemsteadc said:

I have an 11yo female traveling cat companion who loves the RV life. I do let her out by herself, even at night, when it's warm enough.

Explain to me how it is OK to let your cat loose but not my large dog?  Your cat has no right to be in my RV site, or in my yard if at home-base. 

2 hours ago, hemsteadc said:

I have an 11yo female traveling cat companion who loves the RV life. I do let her out by herself, even at night, when it's warm enough.  She loves that, and I've found many campgrounds where there is little risk of predators...so far at least.  I don't sleep real well when she's out, as I get up about every 2 hours to check on her, but so far we're good.  And I do walk with her, unleashed, during the day. I love to watch her climb trees and run.  Took a couple years for us to get that down.

I do see cats camping from time to time, but they're almost always inside or harnessed.  That's fine, just not my style, or hers.  I'd post a pic but I see the file size is pretty small.

Do you pick up after it as dog owners need to?

Full-timed for 16 Years

I camp in places like Quartzsite where my cat wouldn't even come near your campsite. Cats bury shit.  You don't know cats very well.  Some people actually like cats and welcome them to their sites, it's so unusual to see.  Unfortunately it looks like that isn't this kind of crowd.

Besides, this is for the OP, not the 'get off my lawn' crowd.

I should know better than to ever mention this on any board, or to anyone, ever.  

Edited by hemsteadc

Do you pick up after it as dog owners need to?

35 minutes ago, hemsteadc said:

Cats bury shit. 

I guess that answers the question.  Actually, I do like cats and in many ways admire their ability to survive on their own. But I also think that cat owners should live by the same rules as everyone else. 

I also like cats.  I was just thinking of when we lived in a house and cats would come over the fence and dig in my flowers and garden to bury the poop.  They also sat in a nearby tree to the bird water and pounced on the birds; sometimes grabbing them.  Again, I like cats and enjoy being around them when visiting friends - inside.

Full-timed for 16 Years

47 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I guess that answers the question.  Actually, I do like cats and in many ways admire their ability to survive on their own. But I also think that cat owners should live by the same rules as everyone else. 

Coyotes like cats, too.

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

Explain to me how it is OK to let your cat loose but not my large dog?  Your cat has no right to be in my RV site, or in my yard if at home-base. 

There are so many reasons Kirk and am surprised you posted your comment. I will be happy to list them in a PM.  As far as your RV site or yard, how many animals do have the right to visit? 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800