Polk Co. Jury Duty

aztex

3 hours ago, Big Rick said:

Realistic or extravagant?

they do not want me on civil trials as I have been an insurance adjuster for 30+ years. Most plaintiffs attorneys do not want anyone that will think for themselves.

Big Rick, they also do not like engineers as jurors on civil lawsuits'

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 3/18/2021 at 10:32 PM, Barbaraok said:

You do realize that there are probably thousands of Escapees that return once every 12 yrs to renew Driver’s License.  In some cases spend the night in El Paso, Amarillo, Texarkana, or other border town, renew, then hit the road again, right?  

What about the yearly vehicle inspection requirement? I know there's a 3 month grace period, but that's still far shorter than every 12 years.

To any/all...

I received 1 jury summon, 2 days after I should have appeared. I called immediately and was informed that it was cancelled due to covid (March of last year). The notice was sent 1 month before, so I make sure to forward my mail every 2-3 weeks unless I'm around to get my mail up in person (due to registration/inspection/voting, etc). 

53 minutes ago, dmetria said:

What about the yearly vehicle inspection requirement? I know there's a 3 month grace period, but that's still far shorter than every 12 years.

To any/all...

I received 1 jury summon, 2 days after I should have appeared. I called immediately and was informed that it was cancelled due to covid (March of last year). The notice was sent 1 month before, so I make sure to forward my mail every 2-3 weeks unless I'm around to get my mail up in person (due to registration/inspection/voting, etc). 

Vehicle only subject to inspection if it is in the state.  Lots of people who are Escapees don't routinely go into the state, especially if they don't have family in it, so they can go several years without every going into Texas.   And if they renew their driver's license in El Paso or Amarillo, they may only be there part of a day, stay across the state line and go one traveling thus never get rig inspected again.    Lots of big companies have fleet vehicles that may never be in Texas, even though they are registered and titled there.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 3/23/2021 at 5:51 PM, Barbaraok said:

I would bet that most defense attorneys (especially in civil lawsuits) would rather not have Escapees on the jury, because we often come from other areas of the country, and will push for realistic monetary awards in a civil suit based upon areas we come from, and yes, I speak from personal experience of being on such a jury in Livingston

I'm not sure that we can infer what any other Escapees members think or will do based upon what a single member did while on jury duty. 

Also, I wouldn't be so quick to assume that Texas has the highest jury verdicts.  Other areas get pretty high verdicts.  At least one court commentator didn't even include them in the top ten for 2019 (2020 doesn't count due to the lack of trials).

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually
2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

Jinx and Wayne

10 hours ago, dmetria said:

3 month grace

If you are referring to the vehicle inspection it is 3days not 3 months if you are already a TX resident.

On jury duty I have received way more jury summons from Polk county than I did in my whole life in Texas.  I have wondered if it is because death row is there. Also I don't know why but I have not received one in a long time.  I think one of the biggest worries might be being selected to serve on a grand jury. One of my boss' was selected and he was on call for a year if I remember correctly. I don't believe I have ever heard of an SKP resident saying they were selected for Grand Jury.

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I think one of the biggest worries might be being selected to serve on a grand jury.

In TX a grand jury term is usually about 3 months. Federal grand jury service can last as long as 18 months. Exemptions seem to be the same in all courts in TX. I was summoned for federal jury service once but it was as a moved from WY to TX and the WY court released me. I wonder if anyone reading this has experience with either grand jury service or federal court jury service? It would be interesting to hear from someone who has. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I served as a juror, on a Federal case, about 15 years ago.  The jury selection process seemed to be very similar to Connecticut's process for state trials.  It was a trial for an inmate of the Danbury Federal Correctional Institution that lasted 3 days. 

He was accused of murder and was pleading self-defense.  I didn't learn much from the the attorneys from either side.  But our private discussions in the jury room were a real learning experience for me.  After about 12 hours of deliberations, we reached a consensus: guilty.

For me, some of the justifications for a not-guilty vote were eye-opening.  I gained some important insights and found the experience valuable.

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Maybe it was a federal grand jury that my boss was assigned to. It was a long time back and I was thinking it was a year but might have been longer.  He was an on post employee at Ft Hood and I think he lived at Gatesvile just north of Ft. Hood.  I believe there is a state prison at Gateville. If it was federal I wonder where he had to report to. Maybe Waco? I think in the whole time period he was used 2-3 times but I'm not sure as I was an off post Ft Hood employee based out of Dallas 10 years and Texarkana 6 years.

On 3/25/2021 at 8:57 AM, bigjim said:

If you are referring to the vehicle inspection it is 3days not 3 months if you are already a TX resident.

Right. I knew you have 3 days to obtain an inspection after returning to Texas, but I thought once you renewed your registration/tags online, you had 3 months to return to Texas to get the inspection. Not sure where I got that information now... (Also, apoligies for being OT.)

I just don't understand the concern? I am 71 years old and if I get a jury duty notice I would not be concerned at all. If I am away I am no coming to Livingston. What are they going to do to me? Nothing! I will not loose sleep over it! Just give them a call?

10 hours ago, whj469 said:

I just don't understand the concern? I am 71 years old and if I get a jury duty notice I would not be concerned at all. If I am away I am no coming to Livingston. What are they going to do to me? Nothing! I will not loose sleep over it! Just give them a call?

While they can issue a warrant for your arrest(I have never heard of it happening) if you fail to respond to a jury call, in your case it would be very simple to deal with because it only takes a phone call to Polk Co. to resolve, or better yet, since you are 71 you could fill out the exemption questionnaire on the back of your jury call, letting them know that you are past the age of 70 and qualify for a permanent jury service exemption. 

Edited by Kirk W

I have never heard of an arrest for non jury either but I read about a Harris County Judge, Houston, having the officers go around to peoples work who didn't show up for jury duty and bring them to the court. That was many years ago and I wondered how they knew where they worked? That was when 60% of those called didn't show up. I have had people tell me that they just through the notice in the garbage because they come regular first class mail and that there was no way to prove that they where received.

9 hours ago, whj469 said:

I have never heard of an arrest for non jury either

From .txcourts.gov

Statutory Penalties for Non Compliance

Failure to Answer the Summons

A person who receives a summons for jury service and fails to answer the summons as directed by the summons, is subject to a contempt action that is punishable by a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $1,000.

(Texas Gov't Code § 62.0141. Failure to Answer Jury Summons.)

Failure to Attend Court/Filing a False Exemption

• A juror who is lawfully notified to attend court is subject to a fine of not less than $100 nor more than $500 if that juror either:
  • fails to attend court in obedience to the notice without a reasonable excuse; or
  • files a false claim of exemption from jury service.

(Texas Gov't Code § 62.111. Penalty for Defaulting Jurors.)

Edited by Kirk W

On 3/27/2021 at 9:52 PM, whj469 said:

I have never heard of an arrest for non jury either

I've seen a federal judge in Maine issue an order to show cause to several prospective jurors who had repeatedly failed to appear.  It was served by US Marshals and ordered the people to appear before a federal magistrate and explain their absence.  The magistrate didn't lock anyone up, but those with lame excuses were in court for the next selection. There is nothing quite like marshals at the door to motivate people.

Wayne & Jinx
2017 F-350 diesel, dually

Jinx and Wayne

I would agree that I haven't ever heard of a person being arrested for it, but only pointed out what the law states. While I may know someone who has repeatedly ignored jury summonses, I am not aware of who they are nor have I ever spoken to anyone with such experience about the result.

• 1 year later...