Polk Co. Jury Duty

aztex

Hi,

Where I've lived in the past the jury pool is selected by voting registration (which is Unconstitutional IMO! It's a poll tax!).

My situation now is full timer RV'er self employed. If I got selected and could not avoid it would absolutely cost me several $1000 in lost wages. Nature of my business requires daily hands-on attention and any down time I ever has telescopes out several weeks of lower income.

Does Polk Co. chose based on registered to vote? If so I may not be able to register to vote.....

Thanks!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We phone and say, "I'm an Escapee and got a jury summons..." and before we can finish the statement the lady interrupts us and says, give me your name and the summons number.  If you are ever in Livingston and available to serve, please let us know."

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

1 hour ago, aztex said:

Does Polk Co. chose based on registered to vote? If so I may not be able to register to vote.....

Like most states, TX gets jury selection lists from several sources.

Each county receives a list of potential jurors from the Secretary of State that consists of those individuals in the county that are registered to vote, hold a Texas driver's license, or hold a Texas identification card.

As Scott said, it is very easily dealt with if summoned by the Polk Co. Courts. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

We were registered in Texas and our address was Escapees, Livingston, TX.  We got summoned a few times over the years and like stated above, all we had to do was make a phone call. No questions asked about us not being in the area.  Livingston businesses and government are quite familiar with the Escapees organization.  They are all so very easy to work with.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Using voter registration is not a poll tax it is just a way to obtain names of local residents who may be available to serve on a jury. 

if you have a financial hardship such loss of wages you will most likely be excused for jury duty. 

As stated above Polk County is very familiar with the Escapees and will excuse you from jury duty if you are not available. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

21 hours ago, aztex said:

Hi,

Where I've lived in the past the jury pool is selected by voting registration (which is Unconstitutional IMO! It's a poll tax!).

My situation now is full timer RV'er self employed. If I got selected and could not avoid it would absolutely cost me several $1000 in lost wages. Nature of my business requires daily hands-on attention and any down time I ever has telescopes out several weeks of lower income.

Thanks!

Wah!Wah!

Want the privilege but not the duty or responsibility 

1 hour ago, Big Rick said:

Wah!Wah!

Want the privilege but not the duty or responsibility 

Well....

Voting is a right. There should be no obligation or financial penalty for registering to vote.

I've read a few articles about how people like me who reckon a too great a financial hit DON'T register to vote as a result of this. This effects many self employed like myself and there's been some serious discussion about this.

Google "jury duty, poll tax" or similar phrases and you'll find some interesting takes on this.

9 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

I am also self employed. I get called , I go. They don’t pick me because of my background in Law Enforcement and insurance but I go.

Do you shut down your business for 3+ weeks and drive 1000+ miles or do you live in Polk Co.?

I'm betting not....

19 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

Like I said, you want the benefit of being a Texas resident without the responsibility 

OK,

Let’s apply your method to YOU!

Seems to me your shirking your responsibility by quickly flashing a retired LE badge and being safely home before 10am. Even though being a retired or former LE does NOT prohibit one from serving on a jury! You probably focus on your LE experience specifically to get out of jury duty! Probably ramp it up if it looks like you make the cut! Probably dress the part etc…. Seriously LE serve on juries ALL THE TIME! There's no law or statute against LE of any sort serving on juries. Would only be an issue if magnified by the prospective juror to the point of being a nuisance! That must be it!

I probably sound jerk don’t I? I think so as I made a judgment on you with limited information. I have no idea what level of LE you were and how far along you go in the process. Perhaps your excused by one of the lawyers for being former LE. Lots of scenarios and details I don’t have privy nor right to.

I think I'd be beyond a jerk to respond as above. So I’ll refrain from making assumptions and accusations about you.

We are seldom Texas and even less likely to be in Polk County.  I have served on a jury when we were in Livingston.  In fact, we weren't planning on going to Livingston, but since I got the jury summons, it was easy to change are plans for a week and spend it in Livingston before heading toward Dallas to visit with out daughter.   BUT Polk County KNOWS that most of the time Escapees will not be able to serve on juries, but the money we bring in helps the county.   They get yearly bridge fee for vehicles that don't use the bridges, they get federal money based upon population even though we aren't costing them a thing.  We help support a business in town, one that employs people who live in the area, shop in the area, spend money in the area.   And when any of us come through, we spend even more money which helps their local economy.   So we are BENEFITING Polk County, and also Texas.   Our vehicle registration fees go to the state and we don't use their roads, etc.    

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 3/18/2021 at 12:48 PM, aztex said:

OK,

Let’s apply your method to YOU!

Seems to me your shirking your responsibility by quickly flashing a retired LE badge and being safely home before 10am. Even though being a retired or former LE does NOT prohibit one from serving on a jury! You probably focus on your LE experience specifically to get out of jury duty! Probably ramp it up if it looks like you make the cut! Probably dress the part etc…. Seriously LE serve on juries ALL THE TIME! There's no law or statute against LE of any sort serving on juries. Would only be an issue if magnified by the prospective juror to the point of being a nuisance! That must be it!

I probably sound jerk don’t I? I think so as I made a judgment on you with limited information. I have no idea what level of LE you were and how far along you go in the process. Perhaps your excused by one of the lawyers for being former LE. Lots of scenarios and details I don’t have privy nor right to.

I think I'd be beyond a jerk to respond as above. So I’ll refrain from making assumptions and accusations about you.

Actually yes you do sound like a jerk.

and I have never flashed a badge to get out of jury duty. During Voir Dire they usually ask pertinent questions

Edited by Big Rick

22 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

Actually yes you do sound like a jerk.

and I have never flashed a badge to get out of jury duty. Dirty Voir Dire they usually ask pertinent questions

Of course I sound like a jerk because I applied YOUR logic!

Try to work it out on your own! 

So I wonder why you never serve since there's no prohibition for LE serving on juries and they keep skipping you? I mean they always say the jury pool is pretty shallow and to never make the cut and have to blame it on being a former LE....ya gotta ask what else may be the issue!

Interesting..... That along with the above tells me all I need to know about you!

:D

2 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

We are seldom Texas and even less likely to be in Polk County.  I have served on a jury when we were in Livingston.  In fact, we weren't planning on going to Livingston, but since I got the jury summons, it was easy to change are plans for a week and spend it in Livingston before heading toward Dallas to visit with out daughter.   BUT Polk County KNOWS that most of the time Escapees will not be able to serve on juries, but the money we bring in helps the county.   They get yearly bridge fee for vehicles that don't use the bridges, they get federal money based upon population even though we aren't costing them a thing.  We help support a business in town, one that employs people who live in the area, shop in the area, spend money in the area.   And when any of us come through, we spend even more money which helps their local economy.   So we are BENEFITING Polk County, and also Texas.   Our vehicle registration fees go to the state and we don't use their roads, etc.    

World class rationalization, Barb.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

2 hours ago, Zulu said:

World class rationalization, Barb.

Not rationalization, just stating a few facts.    What costs does Polk County incur because of us?   What costs does Texas incur because of full timers who are with Escapees?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

9 hours ago, aztex said:

Do you shut down your business for 3+ weeks and drive 1000+ miles or do you live in Polk Co.?

I'm betting not....

No I haven't.  But I have been called for jury duty 4 times and served once on a Federal case for 3 days.  I consider it a duty of citizenship to do so and I'm pleased to have served.

3+ weeks and drive 1000+ miles would obviously be costly.  Presumably, as a TX resident, you do spend some time in Texas.  Have you inquired about how to serve when your in, or close to Texas?

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

1 hour ago, DanZemke said:

3+ weeks and drive 1000+ miles would obviously be costly.  Presumably, as a TX resident, you do spend some time in Texas.  Have you inquired about how to serve when your in, or close to Texas?

When you're excused from jury duty in Polk County by reason of being out of state, they ask you to let them know when you're in state and available to serve.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

3 hours ago, DanZemke said:

No I haven't.  But I have been called for jury duty 4 times and served once on a Federal case for 3 days.  I consider it a duty of citizenship to do so and I'm pleased to have served.

You do realize that there are probably thousands of Escapees that return once every 12 yrs to renew Driver’s License.  In some cases spend the night in El Paso, Amarillo, Texarkana, or other border town, renew, then hit the road again, right?  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

Many many years ago a doctors note in Texas kept me off jury duty and they never called me again.  This same doctor helped friends in my hometown evade the draft over minor medical issues like mine.  Lived outside of Texas for 9 years and renewed my drivers license by mail using a Nevada mail address.  Lots of options for the enlightened ones.  Oh mercy me.

Speaking of responsibility both the U.S. Army and UN have credited me with saving lives of almost 3000 Vietnamese civilians and U.S. soldiers as a volunteer medevac pilot in 1970 (age 21) and volunteer civilian UN SAR pilot in 1980 (age 31) in South China Sea. 

Help start first emergency ambulance service in hometown of Temple, TX as a high school and junior college student in the 60s.  Busy, busy, busy.

https://www.facebook.com/William-C-Perkins-Former-Army-Medevac-and-UN-Civilian-Rescue-pilot-367760116681163

https://www.facebook.com/CaptBillPerkinsUNRescuePilot

1853158497_LargephotoofPerkinsUNUnitedNationsHumanitarianCertificate.jpg.f1e17e487fc515e4a53637f2e2d54d6b.jpg548046325_verylargezoomedphotoofBillPerkinswithHarperTalasekemergencyambulances.thumb.JPG.8ad76edd7dcad157bd1482c4ce3b47e2.JPG

Edited by NamMedevac 70

13 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

You do realize that there are probably thousands of Escapees that return once every 12 yrs to renew Driver’s License.  In some cases spend the night in El Paso, Amarillo, Texarkana, or other border town, renew, then hit the road again, right? 

You do realize, that there is a difference between a justification and rationalization, right?

IMO,  I'm a Texan (wink, wink), that is perpetually out of state, is not a justification for escaping State and Federal jury duty.

--------------------

"How much time have you spent in Livingston? What have you done locally to establish ties to the city? How much time do you plan to spend in Texas?

Sometimes, the response is an immediate shrug of the shoulders. If they explain to me that they don’t plan to spend any time in Texas, I tell them about case law, which says to establish domicile in a new state, you must spend time in that state, and you must show that you 'intend to make that state your home.'"

https://www.escapees.com/the-ten-commandments-of-texas-domicile/

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car