Hopefully picking up a truck this weekend.

Nwcid

So I have posted in the past about a 2014 VNL 630 that is for sale locally. 

Last week I had a chance to go look at it and it is actually nicer than the pictures show, I was shocked.   Took it for a test drive and everything seems to work and it turns sharp enough for my needs.

I have funding secured, I have insurance lined up, I have things lined up at licensing to get it titled as a MH/RV, I have a local shop that will do a deck (bed) and hitch for me.

My dad who has been driving/fixing trucks for 50 years will be going down with me for an "inspection" and another test drive. 

I know this is a broad question, but are there any other major things I am missing?

2014 Volvo 630. 2016 Fuzion 325T, RZR 900 Trail 
675ah AGM, MSH 3012 inverter, 960w Solar.  (2016 Chevy 3500 DRW, backup)

3 hours ago, Nwcid said:

Grudgingly but yes.........

She will like it better after the first trip right? 😎

If it has an air ride seat on the passenger side........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I was where you are, just a few years ago.  Excellent question AND you are asking the right people here.  I second the oil and dyno.  I would not have thought of the passenger air ride seat.  
Expanding on that, ANYTHING that can make the passenger seat better!  We have yet to find a good answer for the so called cup holder in the center.  More power outlets for the passenger.  Make sure the door controls work.  The window switches have a tendency to go bad.  Same with the dash HVAC controls. Small stuff but frustrating if they are broken and you didn’t notice.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I will absolutely work on all of the small things for comfort and usability this spring. It is basically going to sit in the snow until it is warm enough for me to work on it. 

Interior will get drive cam, mount for tablet (I am going to miss my nav display in my current truck), additional power as needed and any other "comfort" items. 

Exterior is going to get a deck, hitch and fenders first.  I will look for options for additional storage.  Then I will look at additional water and holding tanks.

We are frequent users spending at least 90 nights/year in the RV. 

Edited by Nwcid

17 minutes ago, Nwcid said:

I will absolutely work on all of the small things for comfort and usability this spring. It is basically going to sit in the snow until it is warm enough for me to work on it. 

Interior will get drive cam, mount for tablet (I am going to miss my nav display in my current truck), additional power as needed and any other "comfort" items. 

Exterior is going to get a deck, hitch and fenders first.  I will look for options for additional storage.  Then I will look at additional water and holding tanks.

We are frequent users spending at least 90 nights/year in the RV. 

We did much the same, projects large and small were as weather permitted.  
I think the dealer I bought from was prepared to fix anything I found wrong.  I missed several things that they might have fixed (But I will never know) such as a cab mount that was broken and a power steering hose that was leaking.  If yours is a fleet truck, why not ask them?

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I am not buying from a dealer.  It is from a small mom/pop company.  I will negotiate price based on any issues.  

I will fix what I can.  What I can not fix on my own the local company my dad retired from will work on it. 

You will love the tuck and it won't take your wife to really learn to love it too! Having jumped from a 550 Ford to our 610 she came around in a hurry. I did have to add a Air Ride to the passenger side. If it isn't there try to get one in the deal. where are you located?   Pat

The Old Sailor

19 hours ago, Parrformance said:

Wife's approval

2X.  😃   It would be nice to get an oil sample. Take along with you a clip board and some coveralls. Crawl around the bottom of the truck. Take your time. Make a list of things you want to check out before you leave home. Use your clip board for all of your answers. I remember when I bought my second truck, the salesman said I'll see you in and hour or more. What I am saying, take your time looking the truck over. Write your answer done on your clip board of what you our seeing. That way you don't half to remember what you saw.

Best of luck,
Al

Edited by alan0043

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

I paid for an independent, better-than-DOT inspection ($230 as I recall). It included pulling the engine computer codes. Found some things that needed addressing by the seller (dealer in my case). The big problem was front brake shoes that were badly fractured. Well worth the money spent. If nothing else, trained eyes gave peace of mind.

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

59 minutes ago, trimster said:

I paid for an independent, better-than-DOT inspection ($230 as I recall). It included pulling the engine computer codes. Found some things that needed addressing by the seller (dealer in my case). The big problem was front brake shoes that were badly fractured. Well worth the money spent. If nothing else, trained eyes gave peace of mind.

Bob

^^ what Bob said ^^

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Good tips for sure.  

As I said I am taking my dad who as been around trucks and heavy equipment all of his life.  Both using and fixing.  Based on what he sees will depend on if we are going to have another inspector come. 

In the HDT resources area (pinned on the first page) is a checklist you might want to look at. I downloaded it and made changes (made it more readable, added stuff that was important to me, etc.). It's 8+ pages. It took me several hrs to go over the truck with this checklist. I missed one (or rather ignored one) of the line items and it cost me several hundred dollars.

When checking the tires, I did not check the load rating on the steers. One was G and the other was H. When I had the state inspection done on the truck, I got gigged (failed until fixed) on this. Hence, a perfectly good tire had to be replaced on my dime.

Here's a link to the updated version of this checklist. Hope it is helpful.

Check list here

Bob

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

A couple of items:

A new mattress in the sleeper area or proof it was replaced recently.

Any maintenance records are also a plus.

Seats with arm rests are important for long drives.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

The check list is great.  Just printed it out along with all of the DOL transfer stuff. 

Mattress will likely get changed regardless........  Seats will get checked out for sure, but if they need updated that is in the budget.  

It made it home yesterday. 

Not a lot of details yet.  It is cold and snowy at my house with more coming.  Likely will not do much till spring when it warms up.  At that point I will have a ton of questions as I start "making it ours".

2014, VNL 630 with the D13, 12 speed auto, 420,000 miles and a Comfort Pro APU.  I ended up at $25k.