Odd tire wear...should I replace them?

I got about 25,000 miles on tires They are original 2011 tires on a Ford F350 with truck camper. The center tread has lots more wear than the 2 neighboring treads. (top arrow) Also the outer edge has more wear than the inner tire. (side arrow)

How long should front tires last?

Do you think I can get another 5,000 miles on them?

Any suggestions to more even wear? I'm using 65 pounds all round for tire psi.

Tire 4 llr.jpg

Edited by slackercruster

I would replace based on age, regardless of tire wear.  I have experienced enough tire problems that I would prefer to err on the side of caution.  Extra wear on the center of the tread can be an indication of improper inflation.

Safe Travels (or not)...

Edited by k4rs

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

8 minutes ago, slackercruster said:

I got about 25,000 miles on tires They are original 2011 tires on a Ford F350 with truck camper. The center tread has lots more wear than the 2 neighboring treads. (top arrow) Also the outer edge has more wear than the inner tire. (side arrow)

Any suggestions to more even wear?

Tire 4 llr.jpg

1.  It would appear to me that your first priority would be to have the front alignment checked.

2.  What brand are the tires?

3. In my opinion, your tires should have been replaced before now; think ageing out.  They are no different than regular rv tires which have a similiar requirement for replacement.

4.  I would be very hesitant on trying to get more miles from the current tires. 

2010 Newmar Dutch Aire 4304-Spartan Chassis-Cummins ISL 425hp-2013 Chevrolet Equinox AWD Towed-SKP# 120487-FMCA #402879-

Have you always been careful about proper inflation, based on the tire inflation charts from the tire manufacturer? With the tires nearing 10 years old, I would replace them before any long trips but I would also determine what is causing the uneven wear before doing so. A good tire shop might be able to help you, but my guess would be too much inflation pressure. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

ime, tire wear varies a lot based on many things. Proper inflation being #1, but driving style is a solid #2. Only once have i gotten the advertised mileage out of a set (i err on the side of caution on when to replace).

25k on a factory set of tires, i would call it good and get a new set. Sometimes the factory puts on a great set, but those are almost always included in the sales pitch for the pricey add-ons.

5 hours ago, slackercruster said:

Tire 4 llr.jpg

1.Proper inflation pressure per manufacture weight chart

2. Balance and rotation every 5k miles- 

3. Full alignment when new tires first put on, then if you feel it pulling or see any wear get it checked at the next rotation.

4. full lube job at every oil change to keep those front end parts lubricated

my 2014 ford  came with bf good rich and I got 70k on the first set, sitting at 129 k currently on the 2nd set - Only getting 25k with that type of wear is indicative that they havent been properly maintained or that there is a  componet failure in the suspension system.

IMO 65psi is not enough for hauling a truck camper on a 1T pickup, otherwise the tire would be more evenly worn.  The tires are load range E most likely, what does the door jamb Federal Tire Placard indicate for front axle gross weight rating?

Next wheel alignment, request a total alignment to include thrust angle. If the thrust angle is incorrect, odd front tire wear may occur, and slightly reduced fuel mileage.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Not the same animal , but , I had trailer tires that wore similarly . I went through a few pairs of tires .

Originally , I thought the axle was bent , as both sides and all sets wore almost identically .

Now , on the same axle , using the same rims , tire size and running about 10% less pressure as the only change , I have 3 times the mileage and still have more than half tread left before the wear bars , without the lopsided wear . 

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

I think the OEM tires on the 350 were Michelin.  On a 2011 vehicle they were probably made in 2010. There is a four digit date code on the sidewall.  The first two numbers are the week of manufacture; the second two are the year.  4010 would be the 40th week of 2010 (beginning Sept 26, 2010).  Here's what Michelin says about tire life.

Keep five years in mind

After five years or more in use, your tires should be thoroughly inspected at least once per year by a professional.

Ten years is a maximum

If the tires haven't been replaced 10 years after their date of manufacture, as a precaution, Michelin recommends replacing them with new tires. Even if they appear to be in usable condition and have not worn down to the tread wear indicator. This applies to spare tires as well.

The tire material changes chemically/structurally over time and become much less safe.

While you are getting new tires talk to them about the wear problem.  They tire pros should have an idea about the problem.  I was getting the same outer band wear on the 2017 F-350 with Michelins.  It was a toe-in issue.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

12 hours ago, bigjim said:

I have not read every word but I believe the subject n question are truck tires not trailer tires.

Why do you think I said "Not the same animal" ? 

And , it's the pressure difference that makes the difference whether the tires are mounted on a trailer , truck or earth mover . ;)

actually what caught my attention were the references to changing due to age which usually applies to rv tires. I do believe that in this case it should even apply to the truck tires.I 

I had an issue  once using factory  installed tires on my TT that had crappy tire wear that I almost did not catch and one had just got down to the cord.  I got a decent  amount of use consid cering but should have got more. I stepped up one load  range and solved the problem. I was planning on getting the TT alignend thinking I might have bent the axle slightly.  

I was working entry check in at campground once and an obviously newish rv'r  came in with a TT that may have been brand new. After checking with us he made a turn to go to his camping spot and as he made the turn me and the guy I saw immediatly all 4 tires were down to the cord and he didn't even suspect it.

Depending on what you are asking, we informed the guy of his situation.  In my case I realized that going to he higher load range and being extra careful about loading and tire pressure seemed to resolve the problem. I never had the issue again. Don 't really know why just happy about it.

Edited by bigjim

This NHTSA report on tire aging offers some insight into how long passenger and light truck tires last. It really surprised me that the equivalent of 4 years in AZ sun would cause tire failures.

I do not suspect slackcrusters tires fall into the tire aging category. I do think that tire wear is the result of under-inflation and/or misalignment.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

This NHTSA report on tire aging offers some insight into how long passenger and light truck tires last. It really surprised me that the equivalent of 4 years in AZ sun would cause tire failures.

I do not suspect slackcrusters tires fall into the tire aging category. I do think that tire wear is the result of under-inflation and/or misalignment.

Don't forget over inflation , Ray . ;)

2 hours ago, Pat & Pete said:

Don't forget over inflation , Ray . ;)

If his front tires were over-inflated the center would be worn more than the edges.(details in second link)

Per this website under-inflation is leading cause of tire failures.

To read the NHTSA in-depth analysis of crash tire failures: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811617

Edited by Ray,IN

On 12/4/2020 at 7:33 AM, slackercruster said:

Tire 4 llr.jpg

The tires are original equipment General Grabbers and if you get 30K out of them feel fortunate.  You need a front end alignment and new tires all around. The center wear could be from a lot of things and I wouldn't worry about it because when you install new tires it will be gone but the edge wear is from alignment.

Denny

Denny & Jami SKP#90175
Most Timing with Mac our Scottie, RIP Jasper our Westie
2013 F350 SC DRW 6.2 V8 4.30 Gears
2003 HH Premier 35FKTG Home Base Nebraska

12 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

If his front tires were over-inflated the center would be worn more than the edges.(details in second link)

Per this website under-inflation is leading cause of tire failures.

To read the NHTSA in-depth analysis of crash tire failures: https://crashstats.nhtsa.dot.gov/Api/Public/ViewPublication/811617

Sorry to have misunderstood you , Ray . 

I was being too 'general' . :(