We're Moving to California!

Zulu

Wish you the best of luck. I am one of those CA residents who left in 2014. It’s what got me into full timing. I lived in San Diego for 35 years and Northridge for 7 years before that with 2 years in San Mateo first. I love the weather but not the traffic, taxes and politics. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

out of the way area. if you want for anything including health care. it is a trip to fresno. as merced is shut down. madera is the same.

nothing to the south of you on 49. and much less to the north on 49. (unless you ride sports bikes).  if you can afford Yosemite, and the (normal times) crowds.

but if open there is a great burger joint almost across the hwy from burger king.(if they are still even there?) bk's been having problems of late.

it is beautiful country in the early spring all green and the flowers. sad no access to the eastern side after the first snow.

have fun in ca.

Wife and I born and raised in Mariposa County. We left in 2017. Beautiful area, but not what it once was. Mariposa has been the recipient of several infestations.  Pine bark beetle, pot growers, bay area transplants and others. Cost of living is high and you have to travel to get health care.  Price (HIGH) and quality (POOR) at the grocery store  is a concern. Do diligence is key when picking anywhere in California.

VisitedStatesMap.gif.d04cfb2dbf883da9dacf9fb5f04520f6.gif

2917 Keystone Montana 3720 Legacy

14' Ram 3500 DRW 

10 hours ago, RonandSue said:

Wife and I born and raised in Mariposa County. We left in 2017. Beautiful area, but not what it once was. Mariposa has been the recipient of several infestations.  Pine bark beetle, pot growers, bay area transplants and others. Cost of living is high and you have to travel to get health care.  Price (HIGH) and quality (POOR) at the grocery store  is a concern. Do diligence is key when picking anywhere in California.

Interesting opinion and SKP#

Mariposa County is located in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, north of Fresno, east of Merced, and southeast of Stockton.  The county's eastern section is the central portion of Yosemite National Park. The population appears to be growing.  I'd love to live there and suspect than many others would too.

I get it that it became less pristine and affordable over time. But for those that enjoy the location, and can afford it, it's a great place to live.

Congratulations Zulu!

Volvo 770, New Horizons Majestic and an upcoming Smart car

Stockton has some of the highest crime in the State, except for Los Angeles, mostly due to drugs and gangs. Merced and Fresno are not far behind. It also has a lot of air pollution, especially in the hot summer. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

Good luck with your new home. We spent time at Park Sierra in Coarsegold, and twice stayed at the military RV Park in Stockton, a season in Morgan Hill, and six months in Fairfield at the Travis AFB Military FamCamp. That was 1997- 2003 but it was beautiful. Stockton was high crime back then too. We like where we are today. I hope your new place suits as well.    

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

13 hours ago, Twotoes said:

Stockton has some of the highest crime in the State, except for Los Angeles, mostly due to drugs and gangs. Merced and Fresno are not far behind. It also has a lot of air pollution, especially in the hot summer. 

Stockton is also about 2 hour's away.

Looks like a pretty sweet place to call home. I thought people were only moving out of California at this point, but I suppose there's probably still some gems to be found. I've never heard of Mariposa, but being away from the coast and near the mountains sounds like a good move to me. Seems like the park has their affairs in order too, which definitely helps. I hope you'll keep updating the blog - looks like you've been at it for a while and have some good stuff there. 

23 hours ago, DanZemke said:

Stockton is also about 2 hour's away.

Drugs and gangs have no problem going 2 hours away. Most are from Los Angles which is much more than 2 hours away. Stockton is on the top 10 list of cities with the most crime and poverty. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

27 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

Drugs and gangs have no problem going 2 hours away. Most are from Los Angles which is much more than 2 hours away. Stockton is on the top 10 list of cities with the most crime and poverty. 

We appear to be on different wave lengths.  The thread's title is "We're Moving to California!".  The first response (yours) congratulated Zulu.  But subsequent ones seemed designed to denigrate his choice (pee on his party).

I googled: Mariposa CA Safety and the first response I received was:

Mariposa has an overall crime rate of 13 per 1,000 residents, making the crime rate here near the average for all cities and towns of all sizes in America. According to our analysis of FBI crime data, your chance of becoming a victim of crime in Mariposa is 1 in 75.

I also googled: 'distance from stockton ca to silicon valley".  Here was first result:

1 hr 18 min (75.1 mi) via I-205 W

9 hours ago, ToddF said:

I like the $90 monthly HOA cost to live here. Look forward to visiting the area and learning more about the West. Great blog! 

Thanks. Here's our First Week.

Alas, IdleWheels had to raise the HOA to $108/month.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

On 12/2/2020 at 8:15 PM, Twotoes said:

Very well said and I agree.  Been there and seen it.  Now staying in Lake Tahoe area

21 hours ago, DanZemke said:

We appear to be on different wave lengths.  The thread's title is "We're Moving to California!".  The first response (yours) congratulated Zulu.  But subsequent ones seemed designed to denigrate his choice (pee on his party).

I googled: Mariposa CA Safety and the first response I received was:

I also googled: 'distance from stockton ca to silicon valley".  Here was first result:

I never denigrated his choice. I was only making comments regarding Stockton not Mariposa and I referenced Los Angeles not Silicon Valley which is near San Francisco. Having lived in CA most of my adult life I think I can assess the State and do not recommend it as a place to live due to high taxes and high crime in most of the State. I made a choice to leave my home in CA as did most of my friends and family. I do miss the beautiful scenery, beaches, mountains and desert but not the taxes, traffic, and politics.  

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

Fulltimer

25 minutes ago, Twotoes said:

I never denigrated his choice. I was only making comments regarding Stockton not Mariposa and I referenced Los Angeles not Silicon Valley which is near San Francisco. Having lived in CA most of my adult life I think I can assess the State and do not recommend it as a place to live due to high taxes and high crime in most of the State. I made a choice to leave my home in CA as did most of my friends and family. I do miss the beautiful scenery, beaches, mountains and desert but not the taxes, traffic, and politics.  

Again you are spot on and only reason I am in Lake Tahoe area for the beautiful outdoors and outside camping, fishing, hiking, kayaking.  Been avoiding SF area lately due to virus and crime. Happy Camper.

Edited by NamMedevac 70

Twotoes,

Here's a condensed version of our discussion above:

DZ: "Mariposa County is located in the western foothills of the Sierra Nevada mountains, north of Fresno, east of Merced , and southeast of Stockton."

T: "Stockton has some of the highest crime in the State"

DZ: "Stockton is also about 2 hour's away."

T: "Drugs and gangs have no problem going 2 hours away."

---------------------

Perhaps you can see from these quotes, why I thought you were suggesting that Mariposa County was dangerous.  Since that was not your intent, it doesn't appear to me that we have anything else to discuss on this topic.

That part of California is some of the most spectacular and beautiful. And like anywhere else has a "bad" part/bad parts of town. That would be like not going to Disney World because Orlando had that gay nightclub shooting. So? Don't go to bars in town! :rolleyes:

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Agree RV and I have been to SF a thousand times since 1970 and sometimes with extended stays for fishing, VA medical and sightseeing.  Know my way around but would never want to live there. New stricter lockdown rules soon to apply in SF.

Sierra Nevada mountains and Lake Tahoe area are now my interest.  Captain Happy

Edited by NamMedevac 70

I'm currently at my sister's house on 10 acres near North Fork, at the east end of Bass Lake and the next valley east from Oakhurst and Park of the Sierras.  It is indeed beautiful country, the only concern is wildfire.  In spite of the Creek Fire getting to within 1/4 mile, her property and the surrounding area was spared and has no after effects except for smoky air that lasted a couple of weeks after they were allowed to return home (they were under mandatory evacuation for two weeks).

The weather here has been beautiful, highs in the 60s, lows in the 30s-40s, sunshine and little or no wind.  Nice and peaceful.

Edited by Lou Schneider