re: your opinion

Ray,IN

It’s really hard to have too much truck, IMHO.  Better an overkill truck than an inadequate one.  I use a SRW F350 to tow a 21’ TT with a GVWR of 5500 lbs.  Maybe someday I’ll buy a bigger one, but I’m in no hurry.

I wonder how someone would get that trailer level when the truck is as high as that one is.  It’s easy enough to do with a TT, but how do you do it with a 5er (I know nothing about 5ers).

3 hours ago, Kirk W said:

I pull my 20' long, 3,800# travel trailer with a Dodge/Cummins, 4door, 2500 truck. Am I doing it wrong? 

There can't be anything wrong when running a Cummins.

cumminsdecal_zps8d17e21a (2018_10_24 16_25_17 UTC).jpg

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

5 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Is this too much truck or not enough trailer?

ouuuXygl.jpg

Nope. The truck is big enough to take friends out to eat with you but the trailer is small enough to encourage them to go home after.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

We pull our TT with a RAM 2500 Turbo Diesel and I was always under the impression that the trailer behind the truck should be level when towing.  The 5er in the photo is definitely not level.  Is this okay for a 5er?  What do you do if you pull in for the night and don't unhook?  Will the frig and other appliances and systems work as well if you are not level?

23 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

We pull our TT with a RAM 2500 Turbo Diesel and I was always under the impression that the trailer behind the truck should be level when towing.  The 5er in the photo is definitely not level.  Is this okay for a 5er?  What do you do if you pull in for the night and don't unhook?  Will the frig and other appliances and systems work as well if you are not level?

The trailer should be level when towing.  That is the best setup for the suspension I believe.

As far as when parked for the night and the fridge being level:  As long as you are comfortable in the RV the fridge will be fine.  We are comfortable with a bubble level off by about 1/2 bubble or less.  If the RV is off level by more than 1.5 or 2 bubbles (you have to estimate on the bubble level for more than one bubble off) then I would not run the fridge for more than a hour or so.

A 35 foot RV, can be off level by about 10 inches (front to rear, bumper to bumper) and still have the fridge still be OK.  That is with the fridge mounted along the side of the RV (not in the rear).  Most people would be quite uncomfortable with a rig that unlevel.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Al F said:

The trailer should be level when towing.  That is the best setup for the suspension I believe.

As far as when parked for the night and the fridge being level:  As long as you are comfortable in the RV the fridge will be fine.  We are comfortable with a bubble level off by about 1/2 bubble or less.  If the RV is off level by more than 1.5 or 2 bubbles (you have to estimate on the bubble level for more than one bubble off) then I would not run the fridge for more than a hour or so.

A 35 foot RV, can be off level by about 10 inches (front to rear, bumper to bumper) and still have the fridge still be OK.  That is with the fridge mounted along the side of the RV (not in the rear).  Most people would be quite uncomfortable with a rig that unlevel.

I use a cane for getting around and I would not be comfortable walking inside with an unleveled unit.  Thanks for the information.

On 10/2/2020 at 3:31 PM, Ray,IN said:

Is this too much truck or not enough trailer?

ouuuXygl.jpg

Yep - not level - but lots of "maybes" for the truck and trailer!

Maybe the owner is just taking it a short distance from home to (???).

Maybe he has a DW and 4 kids and a dog.

Maybe he tows a boat *behind* the shortie 5th to comply with "double tow" overall length  laws in some states.  Also, CA requires a 1T tow vehicle for that.

Of course * maybe* he doesn't know any better and you should have taken him aside to explain the deficiencies and explain how he could improve on the "situation".  Then again........*maybe* not!

21 hours ago, sandsys said:

Nope. The truck is big enough to take friends out to eat with you but the trailer is small enough to encourage them to go home after.

Linda

Excellent assessment -er, opinion.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

3 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Yep - not level - but lots of "maybes" for the truck and trailer!

Maybe the owner is just taking it a short distance from home to (???).

Maybe he has a DW and 4 kids and a dog.

Maybe he tows a boat *behind* the shortie 5th to comply with "double tow" overall length  laws in some states.  Also, CA requires a 1T tow vehicle for that.

Of course * maybe* he doesn't know any better and you should have taken him aside to explain the deficiencies and explain how he could improve on the "situation".  Then again........*maybe* not!

Uh, who's on first?