1st trip with new truck.

trimster

And here we go. Loading trailer today. Gave it quick pull with our new TV. Truck pretty much says "really?!" 

First stop out of salt lake,  Fruita, co., then up into the mtns near Gunnison, co.  Then south to Santa fe. That's all we have planned for now. 3 more weeks after that to figure out. Maybe Phoenix area?

Trailer has the Goldwing in the back. So in search of non-straight roads of course.

Should be a good shake down. We'll keep all posted. If there's places we should stop along the way. Feel free to suggest. We're just rambling. 

Bob & lisa

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the list for day ride. We've done the million dollar highway and love it. Didn't spend time in the towns.  Fixing that this trip.

Thanks. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

I haven't stayed in Fruita, but the north/south road leads up to Gateway, and there's a nice car museum and restaurant there. 

You might consider doing a loop , Telluride, down to Dolores/Cortez, over to Durango, and back up 550.

Colorado 92 around the north side of Black Canyon is terrific.  Pay attention though.  Just as dangerous as 550.  The ride south from Blue Mesa to Creede is worthy...........  I'd better start packing.

edit:   What dblr said.👍  There's a campground on the west side of Red River that'll handle you rig.

Edited by rickeieio

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

There is a really cool dinosaur museum in Fruita. There is a dirt lot across the road by McDonald's you can park in. Its got some big holes in it but no problem. You can crash there for the night.

We stopped there on the way home from the west coast rally last year. https://museumofwesternco.com/dinosaur-journey/

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Ironically, we're booked for a week in the rv park just down the street. Walking distance to the museum.  

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Arghhhh!!!!  Brain pharte...  I confused Fruita with Naturita.  So, most of what I wrote above makes no sense.  However, from Fruita, you can get down to CO141, which goes through Gateway and Naturita.  Fantastic canyon road.

Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP is worth doing, don't miss East Portal Road down to the bottom.  

Anyway, there are good roads around you.  Enjoy.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Leaving the house yesterday....

shb8eA0l.jpg

In Fruita, Co. today, for a bit over a week.

8GTI2dxl.jpg

Here's the hitch and its install.

KbFyrm2l.jpg

So far, good trip. I have a mud flap that is too close to the tire and gets sucked up and over the top of the tire. Going to fix that with some braces down the mudflap. I'll hit a box home store and get a couple of 24" angle pieces. Should do the trick.

Truck is pulling fine. 12th gear most of the time, up grades that brought my International 4700 to its knees. But then 500 hp vs wimp-hp and a lot more torque.

Bob & Lisa

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Leaving the house yesterday....

shb8eA0l.jpg

In Fruita, Co. today, for a bit over a week.

8GTI2dxl.jpg

Here's the hitch and its install.

KbFyrm2l.jpg

So far, good trip. I have a mud flap that is too close to the tire and gets sucked up and over the top of the tire. Going to fix that with some braces down the mudflap. I'll hit a box home store and get a couple of 24" angle pieces. Should do the trick.

Truck is pulling fine. 12th gear most of the time, up grades that brought my International 4700 to its knees. But then 500 hp vs wimp-hp and a lot more torque.

Bob & Lisa

Goes back to the saying that there is no replacement for displacement...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

2 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

have a mud flap that is too close to the tire and gets sucked up and over the top of the tire. Going to fix that with some braces down the mudflap. I'll hit a box home store and get a couple of 24" angle pieces. Should do the trick.

That's what these are for:
51yvSHQ0VSL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

The DW approves the full figured version. 

We laughed really hard. Like tears hard. Thanks.  Needed that. 

Bob and Lisa

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Congratulations again.  You should really enjoy that set up.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Congratulations on the new rig, really nice.  Call ahead if you are going to the car museum near Gateway some of the land might have got sold recently????  We did the ride on a Yamaha Stratoliner  with a Harley team and the roads are great, deep canyons and twist few years back.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Weighed the truck today, then hooked up the trailer and did a re-weigh. Here's the stats:

Without trailer-

front axle: 10840 lbs

drive axle: 8400 lbs

Total truck weight: 19240 lbs (2x 125 gal tanks 85% full)

With Trailer-

Front axle: 10060

Drive axle: 12160

Trailer: 11800 (13600 lbs. rated max)

Total(gross) weight: 34020 lbs

Pin weight: 3760 (almost the max for the hitch)

We got beat up today headed south on hwy 50 out of Grand Junction to Montrose. Serious whoop-tee-doos that launch you out of your seat. Full air ride extension. Awful. POS road.

Pulling the pass into Gunnison, Col. was a piece of cake. 12th most of the time. Occasional manual down shift to 10th to keep the RPMs and speed, in a more comfortable range. Really liking this power. 

Bob & Lisa

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

How are you figuring pin weight? the front axle lost weight and it went somewhere. Total truck without trailer is 19240

With trailer 22,220 so real pin weight looks like 2,980 pounds?

Stacey Frank
SKP #67438
2013 Tiffin Allegro RED 34QFA

2015 Cadillac SRX
2019 Tesla Model X

1991 Avanti Convertible

2 hours ago, stripit said:

How are you figuring pin weight? the front axle lost weight and it went somewhere. Total truck without trailer is 19240

With trailer 22,220 so real pin weight looks like 2,980 pounds?

That's what I get as well. 

Bob,

Don't forget about the weight taken off (unloaded from) the front axle because of the hitch being behind the rear axle.  You can't just subtract the original rear axle weight from the second rear axle weight without factoring in the weight moved from the front axle to the rear axle with the cantilever from the hitch placement. 

You either figure pin weight the way stripit did by subtracting the original total truck weight (19240 lbs) from the second total truck weight (22220 lbs) or the way you did by subtracting the original rear axle weight (8400 lbs) from the second rear axle weight (12160 lbs) and then subtracting the weight moved from the front axle to the rear axle from the cantilever of the hitch placement (780 lbs).

22220 - 19240 = 2980
or
12160 - 8400 - 780 = 2980

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Taking the math a bit further,  pin of 2980 plus trailer axles of 11,800 gives a total of 14,760.  Your trailer is overloaded by 1,160.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Hmmm. Overloaded. Trailer is really empty. 850 lb Goldwing in the back. 80 gal (out of 100) of fresh, empty gray. Black 20 gal max. Average food stuffs and not as much clothing as we typically take. Somethings not adding up. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

19 hours ago, trimster said:

Trailer: 11800 (13600 lbs. rated max)

3 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Rick, make me understand how you figured out the trailer was over weight.  This is just a learning session for me.

First, if someone sees I'm wrong, please point out my error.  Is it not correct to add pin and axle weights for gross trailer weight?

As above, pin weight is 2980 plus trailer axles weight of 11,800 = 14,780.  Rated max is 13,600, so overloaded by almost 1,200 lb.

It's soooo easy to overload trailers, and never realize it until we break spring hangers or blow tires.  Been there, have the cancelled checks to prove it.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN