1st trip with new truck.

trimster

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob, before you spend money upgrading to Mor-Ryde axles and such, do some research on other units.  After much looking, we found our Newmar with Mor-Ryde, Dexter axles with hydraulic disk brakes, and other tasty features.  Just saying, it might be more cost effective to trade.

We put about $15k in upgrades to our old unit, only to trade it in.  They allowed us $15k.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

9 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Bob, before you spend money upgrading to Mor-Ryde axles and such, do some research on other units.  After much looking, we found our Newmar with Mor-Ryde, Dexter axles with hydraulic disk brakes, and other tasty features.  Just saying, it might be more cost effective to trade.

We put about $15k in upgrades to our old unit, only to trade it in.  They allowed us $15k.

Our trailer brakes & bearings are long over due for maintenance.  The trailer has been setting for years, so not much road work.

I'm only going to do what I find in the teardown + Mor/Ryde shackles & suspension units. No new axles. I put shocks on years ago. They seemed to help.

We are chatting about getting a new (used) trailer. Kinda betting there will be lots available in the near future. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

On 9/28/2020 at 8:46 PM, trimster said:

Yes it is and yes it is.

https://www.rvtaoscanyonstop.com/

Ok great, we are always looking for places in that area as our son lives in Taos, we usually stay in the nice campground in  town but their prices are getting a bit to steep. We really need him to buy a place with room for us when we visit :lol:

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Down side right now is the lack of laundry & you need to take your propane tanks down the mountain into Taos to get them filled. 

Just chatted with the owner. Next season there will be 17 more sites for big rigs and "other" additions.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

21 hours ago, trimster said:

Down side right now is the lack of laundry & you need to take your propane tanks down the mountain into Taos to get them filled. 

Just chatted with the owner. Next season there will be 17 more sites for big rigs and "other" additions.

Thanks for the update, the distance to town is our biggest factor but I am sure it is much more peaceful then the one in town

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

The owner said new expansion next season would include a laundry as well. Really nice people.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Traction problems in these gravel and dirt camp grounds is frustrating. Especially on uneven ground.

I can turn on traction for both axles but it's not posi-traction. If a drive wheel gets lifted off the ground, it's way too easy to spin the other, digging in. 

With the trailer hooked,  less problem. Pin weight. I'm sure when I add the bed to the truck,  that weight will help as well.

Just this and the last campsite is stressful when the re-hook time comes.

I didn't want the more aggressive tire tread on the drives. Might have to rethink that.

Bob

Edited by trimster
typos

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Traction problems in these gravel are dirt camp grounds is frustrating. Especially on uneven ground.

I can turn on traction for both axles but it's not posi-traction. If a drive wheel gets lifted off the ground, it's way to easy to spin the other, digging in. 

With the trailer hooked,  less problem. Pin weight. I'm sure when I add the bed to the truck,  that wright will help as well.

Just this and the last campsite is stressful when the re-hook time comes.

I didn't want the more aggressive tire tread on the drives. Might have to rethink that.

Bob

A bed with storage will help.  We carry a Subaru length wise so we have a longer and heavier bed than most.  The bed completely eliminated that problem but I built it a little heavier than needed.  The frame was lengthened 5' and our Teton has plenty of tongue weight so that also helps.  When we had a pickup and smaller 5er we had to use 4 wheel drive to back the trailer up our drive.  The HDT does it without engaging the 2nd axle.  It also has 2 air lockers but we rarely need that.  We boondock a lot so traction is important and the bed was designed with that in mind.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

X2 what Randy said.  An empty tractor is horrible.  Building a bed will help with traction, and let you get some weigh out of the trailer.  Win, win.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

Wish I would have taken a pic.

The site was 18-20" higher than the crown of the dirt road. Between is a dip like a gutter for water run off. The dip was 4' max wide. When the rear axle was on one side, the front drive axle tires are not touching. Had to do it at an angle.

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Gotcha, Robert. As I was reading your description, I could picture the terrain. Seems to be a design feature of many parks.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Guys - tandem drive axle trucks apply power to both diffs via the inter axle differential. One axle is not disengaged. 

Think of each differential as a “wheel” at the ends of an axle (driveline).

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

So, engage the power too both axels, and the right front and left rear are powered. In reverse. Left front & right rear are powered.

On my truck.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

With inter-axle diff locked, either wheel on each axle might spin.  Makes no difference left or right.

Keep in mind, the air lines going to the bags are very small.  Uneven ground will load one set of wheels and unload another.  This is good for road work, horrible for off-road.  If you have wheel spinning, just stop and wait for that bag to equalize with the others.  Slow and steady.

Next time you're by a KW with air ride, look at the size of the air lines.  That's how they get away with air ride off-road.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

If  your truck has an ATC (automatic traction control) button or switch, turn it off (light will come ON) when a wheel is lifted and spinning. This is in addition to engaging the power divider (interaxle differential).

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-WQT9SbntQ

YouTube won't let me embed the video, gotta click the link.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

10 hours ago, rickeieio said:

With inter-axle diff locked, either wheel on each axle might spin.  Makes no difference left or right.

Keep in mind, the air lines going to the bags are very small.  Uneven ground will load one set of wheels and unload another.  This is good for road work, horrible for off-road.  If you have wheel spinning, just stop and wait for that bag to equalize with the others.  Slow and steady.

Next time you're by a KW with air ride, look at the size of the air lines.  That's how they get away with air ride off-road.

With the Volvos, would temporarily dumping the bags help with this?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

2 hours ago, Parrformance said:

With the Volvos, would temporarily dumping the bags help with this?

I dont know about the clearances on his truck but this might cause one or two tires to rub or scratch on a fender. It might help but proceed with caution!

Nothing to see here. 

No cell service on any carrier.  You use the campgrounds wifi to do VOIP.

Yes, extra parking for toys. Literally hundreds of miles of backroads for jeeps, SxS, dirt bikes, and bicycles. The hosts went out of the park,  turned left and did 40+ miles of back roads and trails. 

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

15 minutes ago, podwerkz said:

I dont know about the clearances on his truck but this might cause one or two tires to rub or scratch on a fender. It might help but proceed with caution!

10-4, because of the brilliance of Henry, my truck has the correct clearance to drive whether the bags are inflated or deflated.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee