Seat belts for volvo dinette seating

trimster

Anyone add seat belts to the dinette table seating ? If so, can you share how you did it? Photos? 

Thanks. 

Bob

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Bob,

I don't think there is any seat belt system that is designed or approved for side ways seating.     It may not be what you want to hear but, having people seated sideways while in transit is just plain unsafe.    High G acceleration in that axis is not tolerated well by the human body.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Understand fully. But something is better than nothing. Limos and party busses have sideways seating with lap belts. Maybe the booze consumption by the passengers mitigates things ;0

But keeping someone from flying around inside the cab might be a good compromise. 

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

My Super-C Dynamax had THREE (out of seven) seatbelts that were mounted "sideways". I've seen sideways mounting in other RVs as well. You need to get the mounting hardware WELL secured so, that in the event of a head on crash, the mounts do NOT pull out. I expect there are Federal safety standards that apply to mounting hardware.

Cars get hit t-bone style, the seat belts do not tear out of the floor just because the body is being forced sideways from the force of the impact.

Just because its on the interwebs.............

I would mount the shoulder belts toward the windshield if mounting in the sideways configuration.

Edited by Parrformance
added a thought

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

The bases of the seats in my 780 are plastic.  You would need a piece of metal long and wide under the seat to spread out the forces over a large area.  When I considered doing this, I thought about having not only the metal under the seat but also clippable  cables or straps of sufficient strength that traversed the storage compartments and went through the cab floor where a large flat washer could be used to spread the load on the bottom of the cab metal.  I abandoned the idea based on what Steve said.  RVs may do it but it doesn’t mean it is safe.  But a cargo net keeping someone sleeping in the bunk is not the safest option either.  Parrformance makes a good point but for discussion sake the likelihood of a t-bone would be far less in our rigs than a car.  I would think the majority of semi crashes are head on or close to head on.  My opinion only cause Parr is a really smart man.
Are your passengers going to be adults or children?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Exactly Suite, a crash in an HDT, is likely to be the truck rear ending or t-boning something else. So the seat belts, if installed safely, will stop the rear passengers from illegally lane splitting and passing the driver in case of an incident.

This goes for our furbabies as well.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

• 4 months later...

Worked out a seat belt install that I think will suffice.

I bought the longest generic seatbelts I could find... https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Point-Non-Retractable-Lap-Seat-Belt-Universal-Fit-Seatbelt-Select-Color-60/262512326086?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

But i now find 72" versions.. but those would still not be long enough.  It would eliminate the need for the lap belt extensions however..

Even they were too short to fit around anyone setting at the table when bolted directly the cab floor under the seating area. So I got 1/2" x 12" eyebolts to extend the the belt mounting point, up. The load on these is vertical. Big fender washers on the underside of the cab floor.

J6KXMrol.jpg

I cut slots in the boards that create the bench seats to put the belts through.

udDCilbl.jpg

LxkD9vKl.jpg

Bolted them to the eyebolts... (3600 lb sheer, 1800 lb load strength)

Kn9Fxt7l.jpg

Now they are long enough to comfortably strap in an 'average girth' person. If you have had a few to many beers (if that is possible when working on our trucks), you will need a 9" or 10" lap belt extender to help circumnavigate the average American old-guy.

HsXfhmCl.jpg

Probably not ideal, but so much better than not having them at all.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

2 hours ago, usbusin said:

Looking good, Bob.  Just remember to protect the belt at the wear points going through the floor.

When i saw that picture of the belt going through the floor I immediately wanted to add rubber gaskets around the edges of the holes.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Ya, looking for something that will work. The wood has been sanded smooth with the edges rounded. It's smooth right now.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

14 minutes ago, trimster said:

Ya, looking for something that will work. The wood has been sanded smooth with the edges rounded. It's smooth right now.

If you have room perhaps use some rubber hose, slit it and wrap it around your opening.  Some Liquid Nails if its a bit loose, but the rubber on the wood should stay put pertty good.

Marcel

We used this company for products back when I was build boats.  

https://www.ssicustomplastics.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/SSI-2019-Product-Catalog.pdf

Look for Chaffing rings, or any shape that would work.  

Or just do an internet search for Chaffing Rings, West Marine Products may have something as well.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins