trimster

Seat belts for volvo dinette seating

Bob,

I don't think there is any seat belt system that is designed or approved for side ways seating.     It may not be what you want to hear but, having people seated sideways while in transit is just plain unsafe.    High G acceleration in that axis is not tolerated well by the human body.

Steve 

Understand fully. But something is better than nothing. Limos and party busses have sideways seating with lap belts. Maybe the booze consumption by the passengers mitigates things ;0

But keeping someone from flying around inside the cab might be a good compromise. 

Just thinking out loud.

Bob

My Super-C Dynamax had THREE (out of seven) seatbelts that were mounted "sideways". I've seen sideways mounting in other RVs as well. You need to get the mounting hardware WELL secured so, that in the event of a head on crash, the mounts do NOT pull out. I expect there are Federal safety standards that apply to mounting hardware.

My van had three sideways seat belts that didn't look like they had done anything extraordinary to mount them.

Linda

Cars get hit t-bone style, the seat belts do not tear out of the floor just because the body is being forced sideways from the force of the impact.

Just because its on the interwebs.............

I would mount the shoulder belts toward the windshield if mounting in the sideways configuration.

Edited by Parrformance
added a thought

The bases of the seats in my 780 are plastic.  You would need a piece of metal long and wide under the seat to spread out the forces over a large area.  When I considered doing this, I thought about having not only the metal under the seat but also clippable  cables or straps of sufficient strength that traversed the storage compartments and went through the cab floor where a large flat washer could be used to spread the load on the bottom of the cab metal.  I abandoned the idea based on what Steve said.  RVs may do it but it doesn’t mean it is safe.  But a cargo net keeping someone sleeping in the bunk is not the safest option either.  Parrformance makes a good point but for discussion sake the likelihood of a t-bone would be far less in our rigs than a car.  I would think the majority of semi crashes are head on or close to head on.  My opinion only cause Parr is a really smart man.
Are your passengers going to be adults or children?

Edited by SuiteSuccess

Exactly Suite, a crash in an HDT, is likely to be the truck rear ending or t-boning something else. So the seat belts, if installed safely, will stop the rear passengers from illegally lane splitting and passing the driver in case of an incident.

This goes for our furbabies as well.