13' Scamp & 2010 Subaru Forester?

kittyklawz

You should be able to do so, safely. Scamp lists it as 1200 - 1500# so the GVWR is probably no more than 2000#. It could be a little challenging in a high wind but should be doable.

Scamp 13′ Standard Specifications/Features

• Fiberglass construction
  • Overall length 13’
  • Overall height 7’ 6”
  • Overall width 6’ 8”
  • Interior length 10’
  • Interior height 6’ 3”
  • Interior width 6’ 6”
  • Super insulation (R15)
  • 30 amp power converter
  • 12 volt lighting
  • Ice box standard
  • 12 gallon fresh water tank
  • Sleeps one to four
  • Table converts to bed
  • Sofa converts to bunk beds
  • Clothes closet by door
  • Marine headliner wall fabric
  • Four inch cushions
  • Wood panel interior cabinet doors
  • Two burner propane stove
  • Propane tank
  • Porch light
  • Curtains
  • Sink
  • Approximate weight 1200-1500
  • 2200 pound torsion axle
  • Hitch weight 100 pounds
  • Hitch height approx. 16-18”
  • Hitch ball size 2”
  • 25ft 30amp electric supply cord
  • Spare tire & cover
  • Safety chains
  • Tires: 13” C load radial
  • 11 gauge steel tube frame
  • Extra lights and outlets available
  • Carpet or vinyl floor optional
  • Fiberglass cabinets
  • Crank open windows & screens
  • Mounted rear stabilizer jacks
  •  
  • Built in Minnesota, USA

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, it should tow fine.

While you didn't ask about Scamp features I can't resist telling you what I would choose.

The package because a built in ice box is hard to manage, the screen door and window over the range allow cross ventilation, and you want as many cabinets as they are willing to fit because you'll want to save the limited storage in the car for you lawn chairs.

Then I would also order the vinyl flooring because throw rugs are easier to maintain than carpet, the dual propane tanks because running out in the middle of cooking is frustrating, the awning because sitting in the shade while outside is good,  and the stove cover to make that counter space usable when not cooking.

I don't know where you are or where you'd like to travel but having the furnace would allow you to extend the seasons up north or be comfortable at night in the mountain in the summer.

There are other options to consider but, for me, those would be mandatory.

And I hope you only have two kids because the beds and table only accommodate four people so I don't know where they are putting the fifth child they show in the photos. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I had an older 13' and it had no toilet except for  porta potty.  I can adapt to no shower or bathroom sink but if I never have to use a porta potty again it will suit me fine.  Mine had no hot water heater which wasn't a big issue. It had a furnace that vented exhaust outside but no blower fan and I actually prefer it over the newer rv style force air furnace.  It did make the heat a little spotty at times but I did not have to worry about running the battery down. Once it warmed the space there was not much issue of the spottiness. I gave up one back window with a small window unit.  I don't think mine had crank windows but they did open out in such a way that you could leave the window open without it raining in.  It towed real good but it was actually al little harder to back than my now 30ft. TT.  When I sold it I got more for it than I paid for it.

With today's virus going on I don't think I'd like a trailer without a bathroom but that's just me.  You have a 2010 Forester.  Are you planning to keep it in the near future?  Perhaps getting a vehicle to be able to pull a small trailer with a bathroom might work.  The Casita brand of small trailers has a nice small 16' with a bathroom and bunks.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Highly recommend that the Scamp has brakes.  I believe that is optional on that model.  We have a 2010 Forester for which I installed a 2” receiver that we use for cargo carrier and bike racks only.  After seeing what the receiver hitches are attached to on the Forester, I would not be in favor of towing a trailer with it.  JMO!

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

60% engine power to the front, and 40% to the rear...ok....mostly front wheel drive. 

I suspect with 60% of engine power to the front wheels, that during some variable traction situations, those lightly loaded,  possibly very lightly loaded, front tires are probably gonna do some slipping. 

Just not a good tow vehicle for a travel trailer, again, especially in the mountains.

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

2 hours ago, podwerkz said:

Just not a good tow vehicle for a travel trailer, again, especially in the mountains.

So I was being polite earlier and reminding you that Subaru are all wheel drive. Now I must ask, do you have any actual experience with a Subaru? My guess would be NO. 

I have a 1999 Forester, yes, it is old. It runs really well and (gasp!) I live in Colorado where things are NOT flat. I have used it for hauling a utility trailer loaded to 1500 pounds, according to the dump scales, with no problems at all. It has the 2.5L engine, and mind you, in 1999 had a tow capacity of 2000 pounds. 

So, unless you have or have had a Subaru Forester in the mountains, towing a trailer, could you please at least tell us the basis of your opinions? Thanks!

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Just being polite? Someones life may be on the line, so, dont worry about ME....worry about the OP, who BTW, seems to have only posted one time. So maybe its a moot point. 

And yes I owned a Subaru years ago. Fine little car it was, but I would not use it for towing anything substantial in the mountains. I do respect that you had 'no problems at all' pulling a utility trailer, but those have very little frontal area and are rarely subject to sway and being hit hard by gusts of wind. And can you assume that the OP will also have 100% success and no problems at all, pulling this camper?

If you do just a little bit of research (which I did before posting my advice) you will find that even the little Scamp 13 tips the scales at around 2000 lbs when loaded up ready to roll and normal options included.

If you wish to tow a 2000 pound (when loaded and optioned) travel trailer in the mountains with your Forester, no one is stopping you...but I would not do it, nor would I recommend it to others. Safety when towing is paramount. 

When you start with a 2400# max tow rating, and hook up to a trailer that will be right around 2000, then add in all the camping gear, provisions, food, full fresh water or holding tanks, and two occupants, possibly a 50-100# WDH hitch, then we have blown past the 80% rule of thumb for safe margin of towing capacity. And we can't really assume that the published tow rating is even equal to J2807 standards, unless that exact spec is found in the owners manual.

I recommend against it. If your opinion is different, feel free to say so. I have no dog in this fight, I simply expressed my opinion, based on the facts as I know them. 

Edited by podwerkz

Nothing to see here. 

The OP is talking a 2010 Forester. I've met Chalkie and his Subaru and he's in agreement with others on towing small trailers. I've owned a stick 1978 Subaru Brat in 1979 here in Colorado. Then an 88 Subaru wagon in Germany 1990-1997. I had a 2004 Forester her in 2006. Finally my first automatic 2019 Forester I bought new last year before we moved to Colorado once again. 

Here's a demo of the Subaru symmetrical AWD against all its competitors in its class:

https://www.subaru.com/engineering/design/awd-versus.html

This system has continuous power to all four wheels. Shown here:

https://www.subaru.com/engineering/design.html

Here's the best video:

I agree that having brakes on the trailer are a must have for serious RVing with a lightweight SUV. I just sold my Scamp 19 foot fifth wheel trailer fully self contained. But the original owner left off the range vent hood with fan. Make sure you have that among other things. The awning too. I pulled my 19' Scamp fiver with a 3/4 ton Dodge Ram Cummins diesel. I don't believe in maxing out a trailer to the max a tow vehicle is rated for towing. I bought a new Tesla Model Y with two motors and AWD. Still learning it. but my wife decided she'd rather have my Forester instead of her turbo 2009 Subaru Baja.

I agree with Chalkie. If you haven't owned a Sooby AWD the radical safety and traction differences can't be really understood by just telling someone all the reasons it is just better.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 4 weeks later...

Hey!  Sorry for the late response, I honestly couldn't remember the name of this website to get back on and check.  So, the scamp is an older model, I am not sure exactly what year because it is my in laws.  My father in law had to get a new VIN from scamp and they told him the dry weight is 1200, so I'm thinking loaded up with our gear and water etc shouldn't be more than 2000, and my Subaru is rated to pull 2400.  The camper is my in laws and possibly will be ours in the future but we don't have the means to buy a new vehicle right now.  We don't plan to go on any super crazy mountain roads at this time but we do live in idaho.  I need to get a hitch installed on my car as well, I read a sway or weight distribution hitch is a must.  The camper also doesn't have breaks right now but we can get them installed later.  Will it be okay going on a trip without them?

I forgot to mention, the trailer has a toilet no shower, little fridge and 3 burner stove, sink, bunks in front, it has a heater or an ac next to the sink im not sure which one?  Our model of Subaru is either the Premium or the Limited sport model, I am trying to remember.. 

Edited by kittyklawz

5 hours ago, kittyklawz said:

The camper also doesn't have breaks right now but we can get them installed later.  Will it be okay going on a trip without them?

The lack of brakes on the trailer is far less if the tow vehicle is big and heavy. I wouldn't say that you can't do this, as some do and probably get by, but it will be a chore to drive and you will be taking more risk than most of us would be willing to do. I would avoid going anywhere that had any steep roads and I'd also keep the trip short at least until you see how it goes. I suggest that you take it to an empty parking lot and tow it around some, testing what happens with an emergency stop, backing it, and just getting a feel for things. Do some slow S turns then again at a bit more speed. Do your best to simulate the things you may encounter on the highways. Since I have never towed a 13' Scamp behind a Forester, I really can't say how things will go, but do advise caution. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I found some people on youtube who full time 13' scamp and tow with a Subaru Forester, it seems like its actually pretty common.  My in laws towed it on their Subaru with a lower tow capacity without issues.  I believe my car has 4 wheel antilock breaks as well if that makes a difference.  We plan to take it on highway for the first trip to see how it goes.

4 hours ago, kittyklawz said:

What do you mean?  What are they attached to?

That was based on what John M said. Aug 11 post. I don't know if the subaru is considered unibody construction but suspect it is. If so it could be that it would not be substancial enough to handle much weight safely. Both tongue weight, and towing weight. Even wind resistance could affect the safety. I don't want to rain on your parade, I just want you to have a safe, fun parade.  Knowledgeable Suby owners and some mechanics and body work people will know far more than me but I would sure check it  out sooner than later.

3 hours ago, bigjim said:

That was based on what John M said. Aug 11 post. I don't know if the subaru is considered unibody construction but suspect it is. If so it could be that it would not be substancial enough to handle much weight safely. Both tongue weight, and towing weight. Even wind resistance could affect the safety. I don't want to rain on your parade, I just want you to have a safe, fun parade.  Knowledgeable Suby owners and some mechanics and body work people will know far more than me but I would sure check it  out sooner than later.

The Suby has a unibody.  Being raised around farm equipment, it is, to me, mind bending that a unibody is considered sufficient to attach a receiver hitch to.   Here is a video showing the install:   https://youtu.be/kOAJo84YbiQ.    
I really like the Suby, so I’m not commenting from an negative viewpoint.  Just know what it is and consider my comments as an input along the way!

John & Ginny

2008 HitchHiker 37CKRD

2011 GMC 3500 HD, AirSafe hitch

S&B Millersville, MD

On 8/10/2020 at 10:46 PM, 2gypsies said:

With today's virus going on I don't think I'd like a trailer without a bathroom but that's just me.  You have a 2010 Forester.  Are you planning to keep it in the near future?  Perhaps getting a vehicle to be able to pull a small trailer with a bathroom might work.  The Casita brand of small trailers has a nice small 16' with a bathroom and bunks.

The camper has already been purchased by my in laws, its technically not ours.  The 16' scamp they have does have a toilet, the 13' we would be using does not.  We plan to keep our Subaru for awhile.

2 hours ago, kittyklawz said:

Im surprised since the scamp only is 1200 dry and the Subaru can tow 2400 lbs.  Seems like a lot of people tow scamps with them from the research ive done online.  A ton of people have them out here in idaho.  

I can hear my mother saying, "And if your friends jumped off a bridge..."  :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van