13' Scamp & 2010 Subaru Forester?

kittyklawz

I can't say how much I wish you complete success.  It is ultimitly your decision.  Its just something I wouldn't do and I don't pretend to be an expert. I don't have any issue with what it will tow just the connection. I do want to remind you of the weight of your belongings, water, groceries, propane. Even your spare tire and wheel and jack.  I am not digging too deep as I am not the one who is doing it.

cool video

Edited by bigjim

1 hour ago, kittyklawz said:

Theres even a couple who live full-time in the scamp and have this setup, and with all their custom woodwork their scamp is a lot heavier than the one we plan to tow.  

Is that the same, make, model, and year of yours?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I will start this with saying I am not an expert. 

Has anyone considered tongue weight (the weight the trailer applies vertically to the hitch) for the scamp?  I realize everyone looks at towing capacity, but there is more to it than that.  Tongue weight and rear axle capacities should be considered, too.  I didn't find anything about forester axle capacities so I will only talk about tongue weight. The max tongue weight for the 2010 forester is 200#.

https://www.driverside.com/specs/subaru-forester-2010-29922-49827-0

Tongue weight is important.  If the tongue weight of the scamp is too high it can affect both the hitch/uni-body issues noted previously,  and the handling of the vehicle, particularly in emergencies.  Too much tongue weight shifts weight away from the front wheels onto the read wheels.  That makes emergency handling very unpredictable, particularly when you are on a slope such as mountain driving (which shifts weight to the hitch on a downhill.)

I've looked around and found factory dry tongue weights for the Scamp 13 as high as 255#.  I'm not sure which model scamp you have or the options in the trailer so I can't say what yours weighs.  Since you family owns the scamp I suggest you load it up with everything you plan to take and weigh it.  If it is over 180# (leaving a safety margin) I would think long and hard about it. And if I decided to do it anyway I would think again.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ