Oregon to increase fees to out of state campers

duraduk

The comments from the parks spokesperson are conflicting. The fee is either intended to raise money or to keep nonresidents from coming, but to both really doesn't work. I used to recommend Oregon as a good park system to volunteer with but most of those we volunteered with there were from other states.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just read the story on NBCMontana. I don't think we are going to Oregon from where we are now in Montana to finish the summer off, but this surcharge would turn into an immediate drive-thru situation for us. I'd tell them to "go pound sand" very quickly! This should immediately become reciprocal with an Oregon plated vehicle coming into any state park that already doesn't have an "out of state fee" in place. We never stay at a state park that has a non-resident fee anyway. 

This is not the only state that charges more for out of state campers, so no need to get your knickers in a wad.  You can always take your business elsewhere.

If the state parks increase fees too much to out of state visitors, they will go to commercial campgrounds.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

30 minutes ago, TXiceman said:

This is not the only state that charges more for out of state campers,

I don't have a problem with a State charging more for out of State campground users.  I think in most States, taxpayers subsidize the park system.  I feel the same way about college tuition and fishing and hunting licenses.

1 hour ago, bobsallyh said:

TXiceman, I know what you are saying. But it is when they did it, when they started it, and the reason for doing it. As of yesterday, Saturday AM, my wife went on the website. No mention of the surcharge!

Here it is on the Oregon State Park site.

https://stateparks.oregon.gov/index.cfm?do=v.feature-article&articleId=286

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, TXiceman said:

This is not the only state that charges more for out of state campers, so no need to get your knickers in a wad.  You can always take your business elsewhere.

If the state parks increase fees too much to out of state visitors, they will go to commercial campgrounds.

Ken

Indiana state parks have charged higher gate fees for out-of-state plates for the last 30 years.Camping fees are the same for all.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

9 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Ken

I agree. Just in the past year we've stayed in these state's parks with up-charges for non-residents: Maine State Parks charge $10 per night extra for out-of-state, New York State Parks add $5. Vermont adds $2.  It isn't all that uncommon. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

You probably already know this....  If you are a disabled military veteran (yes even 0%), Oregon will let you stay in their state park campgrounds for 10 days a month. No more than 5 consecutive days in one park. Yes, you have to pay the registration fee if you reserve online or over the phone. No you don't need to be an Oregon state resident for this Disable Vet benefit. Yes you have to take your chances about which spot you get when you register for a campground spot, no preferential registration you will wait just like everyone else. I have not tried to use this benefit for a Yurt or cabin.  You will need a letter from the VA verifying your disability rating to send to Oregon Parks dept.  Take a copy of that same letter to your local BLM office, and get you very own Lifetime, National parks pass. I've had one now for about 5 years..

Cheers

FB

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

We've both hosted and stayed at a number of Oregon state parks.  They are consistently the best parks in the country, largely because of the funding that is now being reduced due to the COVID pandemic.  Oregon parks are not funded by the state, but instead receive their funding from the lottery and park revenue.  Both of these have been severely impacted by the pandemic.  Personally, I'll pay the surcharge - the parks are still a reasonable price when  you consider the quality.

Keith & Brenda

USAF CMSgt (Ret.)
Damn Near Perfect Couple
http://dnpc.blogspot.com