OT: Supply Lines

SuiteSuccess

Still noticing shortages of multiple items in supermarkets.  Flour, sugar, meats and other staples.  Is this still a result of shutdowns or reduced workers in the factories and processors?  Or is a problem in the delivery?  I’ve not been keeping up to date for awhile.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

And as strange as it may seem....... pressure treated lumber at both Lowe's and Home Depot in the Richmond market is virtually non-existent.  I need a couple of sheets of 1/2" to 3/4" pressure treated plywood for an outdoor project.  None in stock, has not been in stock or available in the foreseeable future.  A few 2x4's and 2x6's on the rack and a very small amount of 5/4 deck boards.  The only "possible" reason is the plants producing the product are shut down due to the virus.  It is not just food items.  TGFA (Thank Goodness for Amazon).  Local availability of many of the hardware items and even appliances is poor.  We bought a new LG refrigerator at Home Depot the end of June.  But the earliest possible delivery is August 8th.  Same story at Lowe's.  Back last September I bought an "Amazon Renewed" Dell M4800 business laptop - Core I7, 3.8 Gig, 1T SSD, 12 gig memory, etc. for under $400.  It was a deal and I love it.  I checked today thinking I might buy another for my 10th grade grand daughter.  I was shocked - the cost for the same machine has almost doubled today.  Possibly because of the demand for laptops and Chrome Books for online programs schools are going to.  Campers or RV's are at a premium and in short supply.  The demand is high.  Want to buy a pontoon boat?  Again, demand is high and the plants that make them are closed.  It is a strange new world....... Can you even imagine what the Black Friday and Christmas shopping scene will be like this year?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Appliances? China sourced. Computers? Same. Manufactured goods from the grocery store? Plant likely just coming back from shutdown, and running with reduced staff. Food stuffs? Farmer's markets are stocked, but sell out fast, grocery stores carry mostly "Factory" food, and suffering labour shortages, factory slowdowns, and general hoarding. Have a friend selling beef on the hoof, delivered to the slaughterhouse for just above cost, just to get the animals out of the pens. Slaughterhouse is booking out almost 1 month. Price of animal plus abattoir work is still under what the grocery store wants for meat.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

11 hours ago, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I think hoarding is still occurring on the staples.  Meat will catch back up as processors catch up.

I am very happy for once that the cattle in our pens does not belong to us. Several of our neighbors have fat cattle in the pen that is already sold. But have delivery dates pushed back several weeks or months out. They have to keep feeding those cattle out of their own pocket. One neighbor got lucky. He contracted his cattle to go out on such and such a date instead of selling on the open market like the guy I just mentioned. The date came and went and now the packer has to pay him for his feed.

Anyway the packers slowed production drastically because of the virus. That is why there is no meat to be had. I suppose there is some hording.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Randy,

Not being political but I’ll bet a lot of the existing wood products are being shunted towards cities at risk for rioting and looting.  Also cities where mom and pop stores are boarding up til allowed to reopen.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Well, to my surprise Lowe's had what was labeled "Water Resistant Outdoor Plywood" on their racks today.  No pressure treated..... just this "new" stuff.  No price posted.  Nancy could not find her favorite "Oat Bran" bread in any of 4 different grocery stores.  BTW - big recall on hand sanitizers (which ones??) because they "may" contain some trace amounts of methanol rather than pure ethanol.  Tell me Doc - if you are not drinking it what difference does it make?  Gotta find news somewhere 😗.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy,

Methanol vapors are much more toxic than ethanol or isopropyl alcohol if inhaled.  Trace amounts probably little harm but companies protecting their a**es.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

10 hours ago, RandyA said:

Well, to my surprise Lowe's had what was labeled "Water Resistant Outdoor Plywood" on their racks today.  No pressure treated..... just this "new" stuff.  No price posted.  Nancy could not find her favorite "Oat Bran" bread in any of 4 different grocery stores.  BTW - big recall on hand sanitizers (which ones??) because they "may" contain some trace amounts of methanol rather than pure ethanol.  Tell me Doc - if you are not drinking it what difference does it make?  Gotta find news somewhere 😗.

same happened here ,once the contractor found he to wait a day or so for 2x4 s ,They swore 'never again' 

the store told me contractors now buy enough wood for the next 3 houses and store at there own yard ......... and starts a cycle of shortage.

just in time will be forgotten for a while ,in every industry

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Sorry if I am hijacking Carl's thread.  What the news is saying: "The methanol is absorbed through the skin and can lead to serious medical issues."  An ongoing list of "dangerous" sanitizers can be found here.  I'm 74.  I grew up in Oak Ridge, Tennessee, where I was exposed to radiation from my Dad's clothing when he came home from work and improperly managed radioactive waste.  After all the methanol, acetone, lacquer thinner, MEK, gasoline, mercury, leaded paint fumes, lead in gasoline, lead in solder, aluminum dust, asbestos, toxic smoke from fires in EMS work, PVC paint fumes, dust from sawing arsenic treated lumber, DDT, carbon tetrachloride, etc.  I should have been be pushing up Daises long ago.  Tests run a few years back at my request showed no liver damage, heavy metals, kidney problems or respiratory damage.  Maybe I am just lucky..... but I believe there is a consistent over reaction to exposure of such chemicals.  Speaking of drinking sanitizer.... not a recent statement from a prominent political leader to drink bleach.... I wonder if the use of alcohol based mouth wash or maintaining a higher than normal blood alcohol level would be beneficial against contracting Covid-19?  In many ways the virus is a real paradox - how do you kill something that is not really alive?

Edited by RandyA

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

No, it's in there.  Right between Aluminum Dust and Toxic Smoke 🙂.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

16 minutes ago, dblr said:

I have also heard that at least locally the composite decking is hard to get right now as well.

Yes, we had our deck redone recently and it was several months back ordered.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

It amazes me how well an unhindered capitalistic supply chain works. If you want something and are willing to buy it, someone will make and sell it. I hope the pandemic monkey wrench in the works, will pass and things will return to near normalcy before too long. I'm sure we will see a new normal in some areas, though. Oh, by the way, when I used to make biodiesel I used methanol and lye in the transesterfication process and kept a bottle of vodka on hand as an antidote for methanol poisioning. The emergency proceedure for getting drenched in methanol was to immediately ditch your clothes and counteract it by drinking an approiate number of swigs of vodka. If it was good as an antidote, I figured a reasonable amount of vodka, taken orally as a preventative measure was in order. 🤪

Don't ever tell a soldier that he doesn't understand the cost of war.

The official FDA site and list of effected hand sanitizer brands. I note that all of them appear to be manufactured in Mexico...

https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-safety-and-availability/fda-updates-hand-sanitizers-consumers-should-not-use

Edited by Dutch_12078

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

It seems logical that lumber is in short supply, as the hardware stores have had a great year, what with everyone being home and bored.  Our local mom/pop hardware store has hired more people to keep the shelves stocked.

Honey-do lists have gotten shorter..........

Houses are selling fast, and folks are fixing up things.  Our old house sold in 8 minutes from when the listing went live, and my mom's house sold in a couple hours.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net