HDT

Chuck

Ok, sports fans. In our full time travel,  other than rally’s , we have seen very few HDT’s on the road. And, only a couple in RV parks. I always get, “I’ve never seen a set up like that.” I tow with a Volvo, haul a Smart, tow a fifth wheel. What is everyone’s best guess as to how many Hdt’s there are in the country actively towing. This is not a number of beans in a jar, as there is no clear answer or a prize. Lol

2 hours ago, Chuck said:

Ok, sports fans. In our full time travel,  other than rally’s , we have seen very few HDT’s on the road. And, only a couple in RV parks. I always get, “I’ve never seen a set up like that.” I tow with a Volvo, haul a Smart, tow a fifth wheel. What is everyone’s best guess as to how many Hdt’s there are in the country actively towing. This is not a number of beans in a jar, as there is no clear answer or a prize. Lol

May be a factor of where you travel?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I agree with Linda, the wife and I have seen several.

We do live in Florida, and have traveled as far west as Colorado and South Dakota.

We see at least one other HDT on every trip.

We have camped beside two members of this group, just by chance in the last 4 year's.

Alie and Jim, and Lockmup68, great people and both very knowledgeable.

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

WE hear pretty much the same thing but I do explain to folks there are a lot more of us that do this then you think. I also get  " I saw you in another park" , sorry no that was not us and we have YET to visit that state, probably someone else. We have waved to someone else passing the other direction so we just try our best to educate folks when spoke to.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

I too seem to see at least one HDT pulling either a "Horse Trailer" or a conventional 5th wheel on my trips. I usually notice them when it's too late to actually wave. Often the profile of the trailer isn't noticeable until the rig is really close. On my last trip I had a traffic camera and searched for a couple ours for a view where I could capture a screen shot. No luck. Have decided to put a pad on the dash so I can jot down the exact time I see things I want to find later. I thought I knew about when it was but no luck in finding. 

If I were home more or actually outside more when I'm there I am sure I would have many more come up to me and discuss my rig. It's usually 2 to 5 per stay depending on how often the parks population changes. Some report seeing my trailer when new on Utube. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I remember a discussion a few years back with others wondering the same thing.  The National Rally had kept track of people and rigs.  Then by looking at postings and replies here it was estimated to be 230 rigs on the road.  (I think the researcher may have been Mark Bruss).  With the other facebook groups now out there and with some of them not even knowing about this resource, who knows what that number might be?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

13 hours ago, dblr said:

WE hear pretty much the same thing but I do explain to folks there are a lot more of us that do this then you think. I also get  " I saw you in another park" , sorry no that was not us and we have YET to visit that state, probably someone else. We have waved to someone else passing the other direction so we just try our best to educate folks when spoke to.

Yeah, we've had the "Saw you in ...." a number of times.

As far as frequency of seeing others, probably less this year, I know we have not been on the road since last fall. The longest time the fiver has sat unused since we bought it 13 years aog!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We were in Terlingua, TX and a couple approached us and asked if we'd been in to St. Mary Lake in Montana a few years prior.  They ran the KOA there and remembered us.  Last year, I had a guy in Kansas ask if we'd gone through Trinidad, CO the previous year.  He remembered our rig passing through, even though we hadn't actually stopped.

It seems we run into another rig nearly every trip, usually someone from this forum.  While our numbers might be small, we do get around.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We've been on the road (this trip) since late Sept. Have seen 2 other rigs going the other direction. In eastern NM now, headed to Tuscon for the winter.

Last year headed from home base (Utah) to Alabama, N & S Carolina, Georgia, and on to Tuscon, saw 5 rigs moving about. Maybe we were just on the right roads.

We do get a lot of thumbs up from other truckers. Kinda cool actually.

And like others, lots of time answering questions at RV parks. And that's okay by me.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

On our trip down to the national, we lost track of all the MDTs and HDTs we saw pulling "horse trailers", stackers and RVs.  

At least a dozen...

Av8r3400
Thunderstruck - 2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift
Slick - 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry