Safely working under coach

Schake

I need to get under my new-to-us 45ft class diesel pusher to replace a device. Being a total newbie, everything is new and unfamiliar, and I don’t want to assume anything. Seems logical to use chocks and something to keep coach from dropping on me. However, a web search turns up nothing about chocks for any motor home, much less one as large and heavy as mine. 

What safety precautions do you take before crawling under a coach?

Assuming you are talking - flat, level ground.

Plenty of RV suppliers offering chocks at varying prices - or at serious (truck supply) stores.  Google is your friend.

For immediate use - go to your local Home depot, Lowe's, etc. - have them cut a 4 x 6 into 18-24 inch sections to use as chocks.

On *level* ground with the parking brake set chock the wheels - on at least one set of wheels, chock "fore and aft".

*If* you need to raise any part of your RV - from reading your post - as a "total newbie"  - you need more advice/help for the situation than offered on an internet site!  Pay a pro to perform the desired maint.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure (or the weight of an RV falling on you).  Think "Murphy's law".

A friend was killed having the RV fall on him and it was chocked.  You might want to pay to have it done ... at least the first time .... to see what precautions they take.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Your coach has air suspension. DO NOT go underneath unless it is blocked to prevent a suspension collapse that will make your body thinner. A thinner body is a good thing except circulating blood and breathing are difficult. Air suspensions are known  to drop suddenly without any indication of imminent failure. 

Be careful.

Bill is

Bill & Lynn Baxter

MCI102A3 Conversion, Detroit Diesel S50  

dolphins.jpgVisitedStatesMap.jpgVisitedProvincesMap.jpg

48 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

When under our RV, I always use jack stands under the axles or frame.

3-Ton-Ratchet-Style-Jack-Stands.jpg

At 45', he certainly has air suspension, as mentioned above.  Put safety stands under the frame, NOT the axles.  Something as simple as a stack of 2x12 boards works well.  Cut them about 19-20" long and stack them in alternating directions.  Think "JENGA".  Simple and secure.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/2/2020 at 1:39 PM, 2gypsies said:

A friend was killed having the RV fall on him and it was chocked.  You might want to pay to have it done ... at least the first time .... to see what precautions they take.

Good advice!

Nothing to do with chocks. - (Maybe "Murphy's Law"?)

30 yr retired F/F.  During one of those thirty, we responded on a rescue call for a mechanic working alone, who raised -and got under- a D-8 Cat.  We will never know what his intentions were, as it was not adequately supported and he was crushed.

No rescue efforts req'd - just the coroner.

5 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

During one of those thirty, we responded on a rescue call for a mechanic working alone,

About 30 years ago, a single coworker of mine failed to show up for work after a long weekend. He was discovered under his car in the garage of his house where the car had fallen on him. Reports were that he was thought to have been there for at least 3 days when found that he probably took at least 12 hours to die.

I never work under anything alone with nobody else present. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

On 7/2/2020 at 8:20 PM, Jaydrvr said:

Just probably not from Harbor Freight... Jay

X2 on where to buy jack stands. Go in most truck repair shops and you will see mostly jack stands with pins not the ratcheting  type.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

Just now, DJohns said:

X2 on where to buy jack stands. Go in most truck repair shops and you will see mostly jack stands with pins not the ratcheting  type.

Not to rag on Harbor Freight, but the point I didn't make well was that not only have the HF stands been recalled, but the replacements have been as well. Not a solid recommendation. Jay

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a pole-barn builder if I could have the short ends cut off the top of the 4"X6" poles during construction. I  have a stack of them in the garage to place under the frame when working underneath. I also constructed 4 wood ramps out of used 2"X12" lumber-3 high, to run the wheels  up on to gain more working room underneath.

About  5 years ago an RV technician in N. Indiana was trapped underneath and suffocated before his co-workers missed him and began searching. The air suspension leaked enough to trap him.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

I asked a pole-barn builder if I could have the short ends cut off the top of the 4"X6" poles during construction. I  have a stack of them in the garage to place under the frame when working underneath. I also constructed 4 wood ramps out of used 2"X12" lumber-3 high, to run the wheels  up on to gain more working room underneath.

About  5 years ago an RV technician in N. Indiana was trapped underneath and suffocated before his co-workers missed him and began searching. The air suspension leaked enough to trap him.

"Cribbing" is excellent.   I  use a stack (alternating directions) of 18 inch long 4 x 6's -in addition- to whatever jack stands I'm using.  For me the minimum height of the "stack" is taller than my girth.  Even with specialized lifting gear at the FD  (portable inflatable air bags for rescue situations) - you don't get under anything w/o appropriate cribbing.  "Murphy" is like a drone overhead watching!

Like the guy under the D-8 Cat, some things you never forget.  Among those (during "the thirty") were two occasions of guys being killed by car fan blades flying off while leaning over -and "revving"-  the engine.  Don't remember what kind of vehicle the first one was, but the 2nd was a 65 or 66 Mustang.  The guy had changed to an after-market fan (no shroud) with metal blades.  He and his brother were checking something -"tweaking" the throttle-  to high RPMs on the running engine.

Ya gotta take a moment to think over the "what if"......."is this a good idea?".

"Among those (during "the thirty") were two occasions of guys being killed by car fan blades flying off while leaning over -and "revving"-  the engine.  Don't remember what kind of vehicle the first one was, but the 2nd was a 65 or 66 Mustang.  The guy had changed to an after-market fan (no shroud) with metal blades.  He and his brother were checking something -"tweaking" the throttle-  to high RPMs on the running engine."

I met a guy who got hurt, luckily not seriously, by putting in a bigger engine in his car and the transmission blew apart under the vehicle with one piece cutting his leg.  The old transmission  was not rated for the much more powerful engine.  

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)

4 minutes ago, Bill Joyce said:

I met a guy who got hurt, luckily not seriously, by putting in a bigger engine in his car and the transmission blew apart under the vehicle with one piece cutting his leg.  The old transmission  was not rated for the much more powerful engine.  

"Way back when" -early 60's- I was lucky enough to be the 2nd owner of a '57 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe ("Hardtop") with a factory 270hp (dual quad)  engine - with a stick shift.  Although I just wanted to see how fast it would go at the drag strip, I had to have a scatter-shield.   You could get 8K rpm out of 'em!  So, although I had "done without" prior to that - figured I wanted to keep my feet intact.  Cheap insurance.

5 hours ago, Bill Joyce said:

Pappy Yokum: Early 70s.  My memory was he replaced a Chevy 327 with a hopped up 427.

Who is "he" ??

BTW - when the 327 was released, at least one of my buddies replaced his:  GET THIS.....factory fuel injected (57 Bel Air hardtop) 283  motor with a 327 (complete short block)  which could be had for about the same price as the cubic inches! To help offset the cost he sold some of his "goodies"....

I had the opportunity of buying his factory Rochester FI - for $100......or - his 4-speed Muncie trans for $100.  I figured the 4-speed would be a better choice, LOL. Not having the 4 speed today wouldn't have been a big deal...but the Rochester FI would be worth mega bucks.

BTW - it's a long story - but I was rebuilding my 283 and went by Iskendarian's shop, in re:  a new cam a guy had sold me which was supposedly an Isky Z-28 grind - but it was stamped "OB".. They were dyno testing a "new" 327 for whatever camshaft/s.  Shop manager was Sig Erson.  Sig checked the "bible" of cam grinders.  "OB" was a grinder named Owen Boling in Long Beach!  We both knew where I was going to "stick" that stick, so he sold me the first (new name) RPM Series solid lifter camshaft (w/lifters) sold on the West Coast at cost (Z-28 too radical for my now 292cu in  motor)..  Said to bring your car back when it was running. Still have the receipt from 3-64. (Follow that *March* date!)

After a trip to Joe Mondello's original shop for head work - engine was running (good!).  OK - go back to Isky's shop. Lots of Fuel Dgragsters (inc'l Garlits) parked out front.  Hmmmmm....maybe this is bad timing?  Didn't dawn on me they're en-route to the March Meet (Smokers - Famoso) at Bakersfield, CA.

Oh well, I'm here now....several guys talking in one of the cubicles....as .I went  back to the sales counter to see Sig.  He yells out, "Hey Ed...the guy that bought the RPM Series cam is here with his car".  Out comes Ed (with cigar of course) from the cubicle - followed by a group of the "serious" racers!  Ed goes out to my '57, pops the hood - says, "start it up" - and proceeds to jerk he throttle linkage a few times......while the fuelie guys are looking on (and no doubt scratching their heads), wondering - "what's this all about?"

Had a nice chat with Ed (easier to spell) at a gathering of old "original" Santa Ana (CA) Drag Strip and Muroc racers a couple of years ago. Told him the above which he enjoyed - and - got a photo of a couple of us with  Ed (& his cigar, of course).

Should have kept the '57 -and/or the '61 Pontiac Catalina/Ventura Super Duty that followed.  But got into M/Cs after that -  needed an El Camino to haul my Triumph desert sled.  Best I can do now  is a couple of 60's era 650cc Triumphs, one '74 500cc BSA B-50 MX, a '68 Camaro RS (unfortunately only a 327) - and a dis-assembled Model a Roadster.

Only 427 is in my BIL's  '62 Vet Super Gas (Bracket II - 9.90 ET ) NHRA race car

But.........I  need to "get under"  all of my "stuff" !!

😁

Edited by Pappy Yokum

Pappy Yokum: About every car person, pro, shade tree or enthusiast,  in the Pullman WA/Moscow ID area in the early 70s could tell you the person's name, the car and more details than I can.  I heard about it because I had a 66 Impala with a 327, so they had to tell me the story. 

2004 40' Newmar Dutch Star DP towing an AWD 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid, Fulltimer July 2003 to October 2018, Parttimer now.
Travels through much of 2013 - http://www.sacnoth.com - Bill, Diane and Evita (the cat)