Post Office funding

bigjim

I have read and heard some scuttlebut about some issue on funding for the post office. I am not seeing or hearing much but read the the guy with the best brain has already stated he would veto any funding assistance to maintain the viability of the post office.  They are supposedly getting hit financially  just like many other entities due to the corvid 19 issue.   I think the post office is vital to the country and should be supported even at  deficit.  Is anyone else seeing or hearing anything about this?  For what it is worth I called my Rep. and Senators and expressed my view to their recording of  your call.  I don't expect a lot since I am a Livingston resident and long time Texan so I don't think I have any real representation but maybe if enough people contacted them we might get their attention.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Read

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/be-careful-what-you-assume

and understand a long time ago congress required that the post office set aside retirement and health benefits for all employees present and future for the next approx. 75 years (started about 2011?).  So name me one other company is the USA that is required to set aside all retirement and health up front for present and or future workers. 

So maybe just a thought FEDEX, Google Amazon and who ever, and congress and senate maybe they caused this problem with the post office and in reality (maybe a little with the corvid-19).  

So just my option maybe the problem is the senate and congress.  So before you slam the post office ask and find out why they are the only company/business that is required to set aside retirement/health up from for present/future workers.

P.s. Ask your congress person and senator why after one term they have retirement for life and health benefits for there family's for life, to include if one of their children get married there spouse and their future children have health insurance for their life. and this continues even after the congress/senator dies. Ask your reps. to prove this wrong. if not then I am right.

So back to the beginning don't slam the Post Office because that are just doing what the were ordered/directed to do.   

3 hours ago, staffnon said:

So just my option maybe the problem is the senate and congress. 

I do agree with this part of your response. It is far more than just retirement funding that Congress requires. Congress is the reason that there is still 6 day/week mail deliveries, the reason that so many small, under used offices stay open, and a long list of other edicts which make it impossible for the USPS to operate within the income that they have. We need them, but Congress should stop blocking them from making good business decisions. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Just now, Kirk W said:

I do agree with this part of your response. It is far more than just retirement funding that Congress requires. Congress is the reason that there is still 6 day/week mail deliveries, the reason that so many small, under used offices stay open, and a long list of other edicts which make it impossible for the USPS to operate within the income that they have. We need them, but Congress should stop blocking them from making good business decisions. 

I too, would like to see a lot of these small post offices closed, but when the USPS wants to close them, the customers of  that office complain to their Federal elected representatives, and these representatives represent their constituents by keeping these offices open.

Another drag on the USPS is the Board of Governors, and the Postal Rate Commission which are staffed by political appointees.  It doesnt take much imagination to see how these people can cause havoc with postal economic viability. If a person on the Rate Commission wants to USPS to fail, they simply veto any rate increases.  You get a majority of like minded people on the Rate Commission and havoc ensues.

The problem with eliminating six day delivery is that the mail doesnt stop because they dont shut down the transportation of mail, and the sorting of mail, so as it is now, Mondays are really busy, and if Monday is a holiday, Tuesdays can be over whelming, so if no Saturday delivery, followed by a Monday holiday, on Tuesday, you have three days mail!

I have said for years, if he USPS is no longer needed, simply set a date, and close it up, but what we see now is people who want to starve it to death, and then say it died of natural causes.

2005 Winnebago Voyage 38J

The Post Office is a management disaster.   First we have Congress,  which is made up of politicians who typically are concerned with getting reelected.  They are also responsible for a wide range of matters, many often considered more important than USPS.  Then there are political appointees involved and it doesn't seem like USPS is their expertise among other things.  Then I see everyday methods used by the management that doesn't  seem to care about customer service.  I think it provides a useful service but  the needed overhaul is mind boggling and financing  this mess is billions of our tax dollars.

Edited by Randyretired

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Either the post office is a government service or it isn't. If the government no longer want to take responsibility, why are they allowed to interfere with it's operation?

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 minutes ago, sandsys said:

If the government no longer want to take responsibility, why are they allowed to interfere with it's operation?

Because some voters want them to and others let them get away with it.

Just now, sandsys said:

Either the post office is a government service or it isn't. If the government no longer want to take responsibility, why are they allowed to interfere with it's operation?

Linda

The USPS is a government service.  It is not that the government wants to take any responsibility for it, the issue is that there is some in the government that want to destroy it, and others who want to keep it.

1 hour ago, sandsys said:

Linda

Because they're a GSE - government supported entity. In theory, they're independent, just like Amtrak and others. Neither is profitable, but there is considered to be a need for both. The question is always about the struggle to find a balance that's somewhat palatable to a reasonable number of constituents and politicians. Jay

I can't help but believe if the public applies pressure on our fearful leadership in congress and the senate they would be forced to listen. If no one ever pounds on their ears they will just do what they want.  Do they still have franking privilege for their office mail?  You know the bs they send us telling us how much they have done for us. I have worked for the post office as a mail handler and a letter carrier. I didn't stay more than a few years but Iearned a lot.  There are management issues just like in any large organization but ultimately  they do  a pretty good job.  Try Fedex or any other delivery service for getting a first class letter across the country for the  current rate.  Mangement has come up with other ways to be viable  like partnering with FEDEX and Ups for last mile delivery which helps the post office and FEDEX and UPS and the customer. That doesn't happen a lot.

There is absolutely no question the problem is with the quality of politicians we keep electing. There is no question that to some degree almost every one of them is on the take in one way or another.  With the situation of the advance payment for the retirement it is a method of trying to kill the post office so some other entity can profit. Too bad we can't find out who is behind it.  I have to say one of the main reasons I joined Escapees was the MAIL forwarding service which of course mainly uses the post office to function.

I do believe that the ability to vote by mail is one factor pushing this in one segment of the political spectrum.

The USPS 5 year plan:: https://about.usps.com/strategic-planning/five-year-strategic-plan-2017-2021.pdf  ends in 2021.

The chart on page 13 is enlightening. For many years the bulk mail business was very profitable; the digital age all but eliminated that revenue source.

The most telling verbage is on page 15;

"The bottom line is that the Postal Service is ready to make the necessary changes to keep delivering for America. We just require the freedom to make these changes happen. "

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The most telling verbage is on page 15;

"The bottom line is that the Postal Service is ready to make the necessary changes to keep delivering for America. We just require the freedom to make these changes happen. "

That was my point. If government would get out of their way, we might actually have a profitable system. OK, I'm done now as this is getting way too political for me.

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2020 at 9:52 AM, staffnon said:

Read

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/be-careful-what-you-assume

and understand a long time ago congress required that the post office set aside retirement and health benefits for all employees present and future for the next approx. 75 years (started about 2011?).  So name me one other company is the USA that is required to set aside all retirement and health up front for present and or future workers. 

So maybe just a thought FEDEX, Google Amazon and who ever, and congress and senate maybe they caused this problem with the post office and in reality (maybe a little with the corvid-19).  

So just my option maybe the problem is the senate and congress.  So before you slam the post office ask and find out why they are the only company/business that is required to set aside retirement/health up from for present/future workers.

P.s. Ask your congress person and senator why after one term they have retirement for life and health benefits for there family's for life, to include if one of their children get married there spouse and their future children have health insurance for their life. and this continues even after the congress/senator dies. Ask your reps. to prove this wrong. if not then I am right.

So back to the beginning don't slam the Post Office because that are just doing what the were ordered/directed to do.   

P.s. Ask your congress person and senator why after one term they have retirement for life and health benefits for there family's for life, to include if one of their children get married there spouse and their future children have health insurance for their life. and this continues even after the congress/senator dies. Ask your reps. to prove this wrong. if not then I am right. " prove it wrong yourself  google   pay and benefits of members of congress    it is public record.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

16 hours ago, Randyretired said:

The Post Office.... I think it provides a useful service but  the needed overhaul is mind boggling and financing  this mess is billions of our tax dollars.

This is a common misconception. The Postal Service receives NO TAX DOLLARS. They are mandated to be self sustaining via postal rates and services. That is why the requirement to prefund the health and retirement accounts are such a burden and particularly unfair when said requirement is not placed on any other agency.

Vicki 

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

1 hour ago, Rover said:

This is a common misconception. The Postal Service receives NO TAX DOLLARS. They are mandated to be self sustaining via postal rates and services. That is why the requirement to prefund the health and retirement accounts are such a burden and particularly unfair when said requirement is not placed on any other agency.

Vicki 

Well said!  Then when you have the Postal Rate Commission deny rate increases, or if the Postal Rate Commission approves a rate increase, and then the Postal Board of Governors reject the rate increase, the squeeze is on, and then when there is a shortfall in income USPS haters then say look, the USPS is losing money, and needs to be privatized.

http://postalnews.com/blog/2020/04/16/u-s-postal-service-tops-list-again-as-americans-favorite-government-agency/?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=facebook&utm_source=socialnetwork&fbclid=IwAR2gn1JHvfZnq-cdtjVjYUefzkPj19nPWwPfzbCjghcqbToNzGnKH3eJn7U

3 hours ago, Rover said:

Vicki 

Congress is drafting legislation to give USPS $25 billion and forgive another $11 billion in loans and allow them to borrow another $15 billion.  There is virtually no chance these will be paid back.  Unless that money grew on trees it IS taxpayer dollars. The mandate that USPS be self sustaining is a joke.

Randy

Just now, Randyretired said:

Congress is drafting legislation to give USPS $25 billion and forgive another $11 billion in loans and allow them to borrow another $15 billion.  There is virtually no chance these will be paid back.  Unless that money grew on trees it IS taxpayer dollars. The mandate that USPS be self sustaining is a joke.

The USPS has been self sustaining since 1970, and still would be had it not been for the requirement that it pay about $6 billion per year for future retiree benefits that no other entity is required to pay.  Currently the USPS has paid enough for future retirees that arent even born yet! 

Also, as I have said between the Postal Rate Commission and the Postal Board of Governors limiting increases in the prices of services and limiting adding new services has prevented the USPS from having the necessary income to prosper.

Change these two things and the USPS will once again prosper.

We could argue about the benefits that USPS is required to pay like most private firms but it is a non subject as they have NOT paid it for the past few years.  As the Post Office goes into the red Congress has been "LOANING' and gifting them money to survive.  Since this money is used for daily expenses just to survive no one would logically believe it will be paid back.  The money, tax payer dollars; Congress is planning to forward to USPS to hopefully survive the next 2 years is more than the total revenue they will bring in this year, or next  year or the total revenue they brought in last year.  There are other breaks that USPS gets that would cost private firms billions of dollars.  Returning USPS to even break even will not be simple.  

Randy

Just now, Randyretired said:

We could argue about the benefits that USPS is required to pay like most private firms but it is a non subject as they have NOT paid it for the past few years.  As the Post Office goes into the red Congress has been "LOANING' and gifting them money to survive.  Since this money is used for daily expenses just to survive no one would logically believe it will be paid back.  The money, tax payer dollars; Congress is planning to forward to USPS to hopefully survive the next 2 years is more than the total revenue they will bring in this year, or next  year or the total revenue they brought in last year.  There are other breaks that USPS gets that would cost private firms billions of dollars.  Returning USPS to even break even will not be simple.  

No other entity is required to pay for retiree benefits so far in advance.  How much has the Government been loaning or gifting the USPS?

Also, there is a difference between private businesses and the USPS as he USPS is in the Constitution.

12 minutes ago, pjstough said:

No other entity is required to pay for retiree benefits so far in advance.  How much has the Government been loaning or gifting the USPS?

Also, there is a difference between private businesses and the USPS as he USPS is in the Constitution.

"Officially" the Government has loaned USPS $11 BILLION.  These are special loans with interest rate of less than 2%.

Randy

2 hours ago, pjstough said:

Currently the USPS has paid enough for future retirees that arent even born yet! 

Where is it that they are paying this money? I have tired to find out more about it but can find no evidence in my searches. Can you share a link to such information?