Compressors comparable to Viair 400p

Within the RV community, particularly on YouTube, you'd think that the only reasonable choice for a 12v air compressor is the Viair 400p. It looks like a great unit, but at $200 (more or less) it aught to be! But how do the alternatives hold up? Harbor Freight has a compressor that has comparable specs for $65. I assume there are others.

All I need to do is re-inflate my Class A tires from time to time (95 PSI), and blow out the water hoses once or twice a year when winterizing.

What's worked for you?

2004 Fleetwood Southwind 37A

Retired and loving it!

www.milesandsmiles.us

event.png

I have a  viair for air bags and air horns on the truck. Fory trailer l carry a C02 bottle with a regulator, works great, I like it better than the compressor 

2000 National RV Sea Breeze 5th wheel 30ft.

So.California

1950 F1 street rod

1949 F1 stock V8 flathead

1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed shortened frame.

1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame

1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor 170 hp, king coil-overs,etc

1970 Baha Bug wihg 2332cc, King coil overs and everything else there is.

1998.5 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins, turbo, trans, injectors, lockers, bigger turbo,edge EZ upgrades for towing 35" BFG's, air dog lift pump etc.

I have had cheap 12 volt Air Compressor in the past and they worked great for a short time and then quit when I need them.  I now have the VIAIR 450RV and there is no comparison.  I guess I want something I can depend on when I need it.

Edited by sundancer268

U.S. Navy GSMC(SW) (RETIRED) 1993-11-01, 26 years service with 23 years of that active and 3 years reserve.  Now retired after 20 years at local hospital in the maintenance department.

1995 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 34' DP W/6Spd Allison.  Road Master Sterling All terrain, Air Force One, towing new 2019 Jeep Cherokee Elite

I had two Kobalt 12 volt compressors from Lowe's and both died after a few uses.  Now have a ViAir 400PRV and it is still going over a year later.  You pay your money and take your chances.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I tried the Harbor Freight one but it didn't work on 22.5 tires and took way longer on the 35's on my JK Wrangler, so I took it back and bought the Viar , way better!

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, Detroit 60 Series 14L, Eaton Fuller 10spd Ultrashift, w/3:73

No photo description available.

• 2 weeks later...

I have had a Viair 88p for about six years, still going strong.  It is not at all comparable to the 400, but has handled my Jeep tires dozens of times, and the trailer tires a few times.  Probably about $65 at most places.  I added the 6' hose extension for better reach on all tires.

Whatever brand or type you choose to use; remember to buy and use an air filter/dryer on the pressure hose. This is more critical on a small tank compressor, as the compressed air doe not have time to cool and condense air before it enters a tire.

I have a 120VAC Fini pancake compressor with built-in regulator, and always use a small air filter when adding air to tires. That moisture is what causes unusual tire pressure rise at interstate speeds.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

14 minutes ago, Carlos said:

I've never used a filter on the portable and have never noticed any change between its air and the very filtered air I have in my home shop.  I refill the Jeep tires pretty regularly since it's off road a lot.

That is your decision, I just presented the facts as I understand them. You will not notice water in compressed air until it condenses, that happens when compressed air(it heats when compressed) temperature  declines to ambient air temperature.

If you are in the SW it is not usually a concern.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

To be clear, the compressed air from one of these inflators will have exactly the same amount of moisture (dewpoint) as the outside air that is being compressed.  The process of compressing the air adds/subtracts nothing. That being said, a filter/drier doesn't hurt a thing, and may reduce the moisture content of the air some under really humid circumstances.

I think that where we see problems on the tank type compressors is when the tank goes for a long period of time without being drained and it accumulates a lot of water. I have drained many cups of water out of park/refuge compressors that obviously hadn't been drained in a long, long time. This amount of water in a tank can introduce a considerable amount of moisture into a tire. It is even a bigger problem if you are trying to paint and get "spits" coming down the line. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

On a humid day in South Jersey my 5 gallon shop compressor will spray water if through a long hose. I run the compressor through a length of copper pipe, then a cheap water separator from HF, then a desiccant filter from NAPA. I use this whenever doing any tire repair or inflating.

Compressed air is hot. The compressed air contains as much moisture as in the original air it collected. Cool the air and the moisture condenses. We call that water. It doesn't matter what type of air compressor you use. My post was only about my experiences. I'm glad you have a big plasma something or other.

23 minutes ago, Sehc said:

Compressed air is hot. 

Only while or immediately after being compressed. It doesn't stay hot just because it is compressed.

This is where the tank type compressor varies from the tankless.  In a tank-type the air is held at some elevated pressure (say 150 psi). Assuming that it has been there a while it will be a room temperature unless the compressor has been running recently.  But as that 150 psi air comes through the regulator and either into a tire at a lower pressure or into the atmosphere (lower pressure still), it will indeed drop in temperature and may start condensing water, depending on the dew point of the air in the tank. 

With a tankless inflator, the air is compressed, goes through a regulator, and is discharged all in one process.  In that case it is highly unlikely (impossible I think?) to discharge the air at lower temperature than the ambient temperature that it went in at, so condensation shouldn't occur. 

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

1 minute ago, Sehc said:

Time to Go Away. we have successfully hijacked this thread. I guess the water can't get in the tire from direct compressed air. What a engineering break through. good day to you.

Not what I said at all.  Whatever moisture is in the atmosphere goes into the tire. Nothing more, nothing less.

Mark & Teri

Mark & Teri's Travels

23 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

In that case it is highly unlikely (impossible I think?) to discharge the air at lower temperature than the ambient temperature that it went in at, so condensation shouldn't occur. 

Really?  Then how does air conditioning, or a refrigerator work?

You can't re-write the laws of physics, just because you don't understand them.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick, that's how air conditioning and refrigeration works. The pressure drop causes a temperature drop, resulting in ahh! Cool. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.