$100,000 part

RandyA

I've received the statement from my insurance company for my back surgery including doctor, OR, hospital, meds, and the metal device that was implanted in my spine.  The total bill was $260,000 - $100,000 of that was for the white thing you see in the copy of the x-ray that is screwed into my vertebrae.  It sort of puts you in a different frame of mind about the cost for repair parts for my Volvo 😁.  BTW - the insurance company did not pay that amount.  It was "discounted" to $4,211.00.  My cost was zero.

hardware%202.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

10 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

My wife has metal hip, I have two knees, We had a "discussion" with "the folks"  about what will happen after cremation. They actually have a service where a person shows up and "retrieves the spare parts".

Phoenix,

Be sure to have that same discussion about gold teeth, lol.  Can be worth a lot of $$$.  BTW prosthetic hip stem would make a great gear shift knob.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

I have a surgical rod in my left leg, and one in my left arm. I have also had all my toes on my right foot amputated by the bumper of a car in a motorcycle accident. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I have always wondered about medical pricing for "components". Why put a price tag on it for $100,000 when it gets discounted to $4211. Same thing with knees and hips. If a company is OK being paid $4211 for a list price product of $100,000 something is very wrong with the pricing model.

Back in the day, medical pricing was based on billed amount. The more you billed for a given procedure (price, not volume) the more the billing allowable went up for the following year. What a great system...

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

I have always wondered about medical pricing for "components". Why put a price tag on it for $100,000 when it gets discounted to $4211. Same thing with knees and hips. If a company is OK being paid $4211 for a list price product of $100,000 something is very wrong with the pricing model.

The same issue is true of most medical and pharmacy expenses in the US relative to the difference between "billed price" and "insurance reimbursement".  I think that there are probably lots of tax issues involved in the pricing.  The higher price may represent a "fully amortized" cost including investment, research, etc., whereas the "insurance settlement" may just cover operating costs and associated profit.  Depending on how you do your accounting you might well be able to show that you're operating at a net loss relative to total investment.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Medical billing in general is a confused mess. DH had surgery this spring. We received a letter with the estimated cost(I think this is a useless govt. requirement now), $3200. That was fine for the surgeon but not the other $100,000 or so of the bill. Operating room, hospital room, meds, anesthesiologist etc. etc.Totally gives a false impression of actual cost either before or after insurance. Totally misrepresents your actual cost.

10 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Phoenix,

Be sure to have that same discussion about gold teeth, lol.  Can be worth a lot of $$$.  BTW prosthetic hip stem would make a great gear shift knob.

Good point, I have one gold crown installed in the 1960'a, it was the material of choice then, my dentists still marvel over it in the days of plastic. I should make point of it in my family trust so that my kids can retrieve it and sell it.

13 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Phoenix,

We've reached the "metalic age."  Silver in our hair, gold in our teeth, and lead in our ass.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

22 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

We've reached the "metalic age."  Silver in our hair, gold in our teeth, and lead in our ass.

No need to worry until they start pumping platinum into you.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

They charge insurance more because they can. If they only charged insurance $200 it would be discounted. There is also more paperwork with insurance and waiting to be paid. The windshield in y T2000 was less than $200. 

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

On 8/30/2019 at 8:18 PM, RandyA said:

The total bill was $260,000

Just imagine, at that rate it won't be long before you can get your own personalized lunch box.
0d9d5bc15a366f928987f4f0f4b42b67.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo