Maximum 5er length?

Eric H.

4 hours ago, Kirk W said:

What are you getting? Is it a custom build?

We are getting a Dune Sport toy hauler and it is a custom build. They pretty much only build to order.

Sounds like our frame is arriving this week so we are getting closer.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, FL-JOE said:

Dave, we have been in AZ all week, came down US-89 and are staying just off I-40.  We will be moving closer to Phoenix in a couple days and staying there several days prior to heading down and over to NM.  

We are right at 73' and have passed a couple Troopers and one or two Deputies.  Just like all the other states we have visited, if you aren't driving like an idiot they just don't pay attention to RV's length.  The only issue I have had was parking in rest areas.  Since I am slightly longer than most commercial truck-tractor-semi-trailer combinations I have to be careful they don't clip me when they pull out.

Congrats on your upcoming new unit and safe travels!

Thanks, we are at 75' with our current set up so I know what you mean about the rest areas and parking spots.

We are hoping it cools down just a little by the time we get there at the end of August. Hopefully the AC's will be able to keep up.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

It certainly isn't cool in the valley right now.  We were going to move down to Surprise for a few days then on to NM.  Decided to avoid the 102 to 109 degree days and we are headed back to southern Utah for 10 or 11 days.   Up here in the Williams area is hasn't been bad.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

Pulling 24' enclosed (Mini Cooper, Harley, 2 Kayaks)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi everyone...

were new to the RV travel world and started looking at 5er's to head south in for our winter.  My question is about any issues you have had with finding sites to stay in?  Roads/bridges etc concerns?   Our friends are all encouraging us to buy a unit that is under 35' but I don't think that's comfortable for 6 months.  The one we found is just under 42' and would be our first ever towed trailer.  We'd love to go down the Oregon Coast but are being discouraged by individuals due to the size of the trailer.    Thanks for any info....

STACYD:  Full-timers live in their RV year-round and many use under 35'. :)  For 6 months that really shouldn't be an issue.  You state it will be your first ever towed trailer.  I sure wouldn't get a 42'!!! Would you be happy with the heavy duty truck you would need to tow it?  You would be very limited on what RV sites you would have.  You'd almost have to always get a pull-through.  For you, I'd recommend a much smaller 5th wheel.  With the 42' one you're looking at it probably has slides on both sides and all the way down the RV.  Slides only give you floor space. They take away storage space.  They also make it more difficult to park where trees are involved.  You might also be looking a two bathrooms.  Do you really need two?  We full-timed very comfortably for 16 years with one one!  Think smaller. I think you'd be happier and could use all those wonderful Oregon state parks. :)

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

57 minutes ago, StaceyD said:

Hi everyone...

Welcome to the Escapee forums! If you have never towed anything I wonder if you really want to take on this size of RV and the big truck that would be required to tow it? The Oregon coast is a wonderful place with spactacular scenery but it also is a very challenging drive for the inexperienced RVer. Since I do not know you at all, I really can't give very good advice but most who have no towing experience would not enjoy a trip like you want to have for their first time towing, even with a shorter trailer. You may be able to do this and enjoy it, but you would be the exception if you can. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, StaceyD said:

Hi everyone

Howdy, welcome to the forum!  For your first camper, I would start a little shorter until you get used to pulling and living in it.  A big one is a handful for the experienced.  Wife and I would have no problem living in the one we have, it's a 32ft 5th wheel but saying that, we only have up to 3 weeks at a shot in it yet.  This coming winter we will be spending much more time in it.  You did not say what your truck is you plan to pull it with.  Alot of ppl don't realize just how limiting a pick-up is until they start pulling with it.  Depending on what you have, you may want to reconsider size, just saying.  A heavy 42ft'r usually takes a one ton and up, IMHO.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

On 6/28/2019 at 10:49 PM, Eric H. said:

I've been looking at long DRV 5th wheels, but I just got concern about the maximum length allowed in different states.  This site: https://drivinglaws.aaa.com/tag/trailer-dimensions/ has a nice list of limitations, but many of them seem ridiculous.  For example, the longest trailer allowed in Arizona seems to be 28.5'.  How can this be?  What am I missing?  Or is AAA just totally wrong about this?

The maximum 5th wheel length is 53', there is no distinction between a commercial 5th  wheel trailer and a recreational 5th wheel trailer.

This website is 3 years old, the towing information is at the most 3 years old: https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

It also says trailer length 28'6", which I suspect is a mis-print from AZ on both websites. It states above that, maximum overall length is 65', to me this means their intent is commercial vehicles since 28' 6" subtracted from 65' = 36' 6" for truck length.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I will go against the trend in this topic.  Rather than saying straight out you shouldn’t do it, I will say it really depends on you.  I very often here (see on forums) people say you will be very limited where you can stay if you have a rig that big.  I agree there will be some limits, but you will not be “very limited.”  There will be some parks/campgrounds you can’t stay in, but I guarantee there will be a park somewhere in the general area you will fit.  It might require a drive to get to some scenic site, but you will be able to find a place to stay in your RV in pretty much any general area.  This is just a compromise you will have to be willing to make to own a large RV.  I own a 42’ 5th wheel and take this into consideration regularly.  I have yet to go to an area that I haven’t been able to find someplace to stay.  It may not always be my first choice of park/location, but most of the time it is.  I have also been able to fit my rig into quite a few places that some people thought I could never get to (but this is related to skill and confidence that I have built over many years of towing large trailers).

I do agree that towing a large trailer requires skill and an appropriate tow vehicle.  If you are not willing to drive a one ton dually or larger tow vehicle as a daily driver, then you should not think of a 5th wheel of that size.  Again, for me this was not an issue.  I grew up driving pick ups and the bigger they were the better for me (a personal preference).  Towing a trailer of that size takes skill and should not be taken lightly.  If you are willing to practice and drive appropriately and carefully, there should be no reason you could not enjoy the experience.  It may be nerve racking in the beginning, but I bet just driving a car was nerve racking for you when you were learning to drive.  This should be no different.  It will be a learning curve, but it won’t be insurmountable.  Practice makes perfect, so go out and practice (if you decide to do it).  Find a large empty parking lot and practice various maneuvers.  Go to an RV driving school.  Do whatever it takes to make you comfortable doing it.

So with this information in mind, I say go with what feels right for you.  If you want a long 5th wheel, go for it.  Just understand what compromises you may have to make and make sure you are good with them.

I personally would not be happy in anything smaller than what I currently own.  I also would not be any happier with anything bigger.  The 42’ fiver I have fits me perfectly and I wouldn’t change it (for now).  This may change some day down the road, but I will worry about that if it ever happens.  For now I am perfectly comfortable and happy with my large RV.

I will add I tow my fiver with an HDT, but I admit it could be towed with a heavy duty pick up (3500/350 or 4500/450).  My driving style would be a little different if I towed with a pickup, but it could easily be done and be safe.  An HDT (or semi tractor) is not required and is definitely not for everyone.  

Go with what you think will work for you.  You are the only one who knows what that is and you are the only one you have to satisfy.  Maybe that means a large 5th wheel and maybe it doesn’t, but only you really know that answer.  Don’t be dissuaded by people who don’t think it would be right or work for them.  They are not you.  You need to figure it out for yourself.  Take in as much information as you can and make the best decision you can.

Edited by Chad Heiser

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

We are under 65 feet total length. We do not tow anything behind the RV ever.I think that will keep us out of trouble with the length police.

Helen and I are long timers ..08 F-350 Ford,LB,CC,6.4L,4X4, Dually,4:10 diff dragging around a 2013 Montana 3402 Big Sky

SKP 100137. North Ridgeville, Ohio in the summer, sort of and where ever it is warm in the winter.

Chad is pretty much spot on.  If you are inexperienced driving anything other than a Honda Civic then starting out in a 42 foot or longer fiver would be a challenge without some type of training.  On the other hand, if you have drove medium size straight trucks or pulled trailers with truck-tractors then it would be no big deal as a first RV.

Our total length is 73'.  We plan in advance where we will camp but always can find sites.  This year we spent time in a State park plus a county park.  

You just have to decide what you want in living arrangements.  If you want a king bed, washer/dryer, large frig, 1.5 baths, then you will no doubt be wanting to look at 40' or longer fivers or Class A's.  If you don't want or need most of that stuff then concentrate on 32' to 35' range.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

18 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

The maximum 5th wheel length is 53', there is no distinction between a commercial 5th  wheel trailer and a recreational 5th wheel trailer.

This website is 3 years old, the towing information is at the most 3 years old: https://www.rvtripwizard.com/rv-info/state-road-laws.php

It also says trailer length 28'6", which I suspect is a mis-print from AZ on both websites. It states above that, maximum overall length is 65', to me this means their intent is commercial vehicles since 28' 6" subtracted from 65' = 36' 6" for truck length.

Ray, if you are looking for info on the legal length limits, please do not rely on a trailer manufactures website. You will also find that there ARE distinctions between commercial vehicle lengths and RV vehicle lengths, since the length laws for each are set by different agencies (one by the Feds, the other by each state). You will have better luck (and certainly better information) if you look at the USDOT website ...for commercial vehicles and the specific state you are interested in....for recreational vehicles. 

The reference to 28'6" trailers is related to the Federal regulations on tractors towing TWO trailers, each 28'6". It is not a mis-print or allowing for a 36ft long truck.  Arizona law ( Title 28 > Chapter 3 > Article 18 > Section 28-1095) follows the Federal Regulations for commercial vehicles and says "The length of a semitrailer operating in a truck tractor-semitrailer combination shall not exceed fifty-seven feet six inches." and " The length of a semitrailer or trailer operating in a truck tractor-semitrailer-trailer combination  (a three vehicle combination) shall not exceed twenty-eight feet six inches".
That same section also says that those lengths do not apply to recreation trailers and their power units, which are limited to 65ft. Arizona law also allows for recreational vehicles to tow two trailers so long as it all is less than 65ft overall.

A recreational vehicle may pull two units if all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The middle unit is equipped with a fifth wheel and brakes.  The middle unit may be a farm vehicle or a horse trailer and shall have a weight equal to or greater than the rear unit.

(b) If the rear unit has a gross weight of three thousand pounds or more, it is equipped with brakes.

(c) The total combined gross weight of the towed units does not exceed the manufacturer‘s stated gross vehicle weight of the towing unit.

Looking in the correct place for the correct information is just as easy as looking in the wrong places for incorrect information.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

1 hour ago, Big5er said:

Ray, if you are looking for info on the legal length limits, please do not rely on a trailer manufactures website. You will also find that there ARE distinctions between commercial vehicle lengths and RV vehicle lengths, since the length laws for each are set by different agencies (one by the Feds, the other by each state). You will have better luck (and certainly better information) if you look at the USDOT website ...for commercial vehicles and the specific state you are interested in....for recreational vehicles. 

The reference to 28'6" trailers is related to the Federal regulations on tractors towing TWO trailers, each 28'6". It is not a mis-print or allowing for a 36ft long truck.  Arizona law ( Title 28 > Chapter 3 > Article 18 > Section 28-1095) follows the Federal Regulations for commercial vehicles and says "The length of a semitrailer operating in a truck tractor-semitrailer combination shall not exceed fifty-seven feet six inches." and " The length of a semitrailer or trailer operating in a truck tractor-semitrailer-trailer combination  (a three vehicle combination) shall not exceed twenty-eight feet six inches".
That same section also says that those lengths do not apply to recreation trailers and their power units, which are limited to 65ft. Arizona law also allows for recreational vehicles to tow two trailers so long as it all is less than 65ft overall.

A recreational vehicle may pull two units if all of the following conditions are met:

(a) The middle unit is equipped with a fifth wheel and brakes.  The middle unit may be a farm vehicle or a horse trailer and shall have a weight equal to or greater than the rear unit.

(b) If the rear unit has a gross weight of three thousand pounds or more, it is equipped with brakes.

(c) The total combined gross weight of the towed units does not exceed the manufacturer‘s stated gross vehicle weight of the towing unit.

Looking in the correct place for the correct information is just as easy as looking in the wrong places for incorrect information.

Don't forget state laws can supersede federal laws in some instances, when state law is stricter than federal law.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

BigerFiver gives a good explanation of trailer length limits for commercial vehicles, and like Ray said some laws can supersede others in some instances.  However, just keep it in mind that if you are registered/titled as an RV, plus using your rig as an RV, then none of the federal regs apply anyway.

Joe & Cindy

Newmar 4369 Ventana

• 3 months later...
On 8/27/2019 at 6:45 PM, StaceyD said:

Hi everyone...

were new to the RV travel world and started looking at 5er's to head south in for our winter.  My question is about any issues you have had with finding sites to stay in?  Roads/bridges etc concerns?   Our friends are all encouraging us to buy a unit that is under 35' but I don't think that's comfortable for 6 months.  The one we found is just under 42' and would be our first ever towed trailer.  We'd love to go down the Oregon Coast but are being discouraged by individuals due to the size of the trailer.    Thanks for any info....

I haven't read this thread in a long time, just noticed your reply.

FWIW, we drove 101 from Portland down to Cresent City in 2012. Our rig then was a Chevy  LB, CC, dually, towing a 40' Dutchmen Grand Junction 5er. I don't recall ever having any problems due to overall length. One does have to be aware though. I think our biggest issue was locating  parking space along the highway for sightseeing.

3 hours ago, noteven said:

Generally - Driver licenses and RV registration have reciprocity in the USA and Canada. Vehicle weight and dimensions do not. 

Right!

Edited by Ray,IN