What do you think of SOLO electric car?

stevekk

I have been away for awhile.  Saw this on the news.  Has anyone talked about this?

Solo car being sold.  $15.5K  New.  All electric.  100 mile range.  Made in Canada?

What do you think as a TOAD or carried sideways?  Thanks.  Good to be back!!

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

I am thinking you reference the Meccanica SOLO ?  I haven't seen one yet and looking at the website it would seem that they haven't begun to be delivered as yet. In my case it would not be practical at all as there are two of us. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The 100 mile range would kill it for most. Doesn't show storage either. Might not even be a good grocery getter. My Smart is. Charging problem too. Have to disconnect camper to charge. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

13 minutes ago, stevekk said:

Wonder if it would qualify for the $7500 tax credit?

Not coming out of Canada, they won't.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

That looks like a futuristic model of the old Messerschmidt 3-wheel car from back in the 1950's-mid 1960's. It had a motorcycle engine for power, no reverse gear, but carried 2 people, 1 if you needed to go buy groceries. The bubble top hinged for access.

image.png.b7d18f368e44de5567ddcd64c806cb41.png

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Has anybody purchased a new Smart Car.  I understand they are all electric now?  No gas?  If so, how is the car and mileage range and price.  Thanks.

Steve

LIFETIME MEMBER
2011 Born Free Class C
OR/ CA border

NEWBIE, so I have everything to learn !

6 hours ago, stevekk said:

Has anybody purchased a new Smart Car.  I understand they are all electric now?  No gas?  If so, how is the car and mileage range and price.  Thanks.

Range is 100 or less. They are too small for a large enough battery. Just right size for our trucks. Charging is the big opstcsle for rvers. Need 220 and we are hooked up to it. No way to charge. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 1/4/2019 at 11:06 AM, stevekk said:

Don't they make a Transformer that will go from 110 to 220?  I see one on Amazon for about 80 bucks?

Yeah, one that has enough power to run an electric razor or a computer.  The size you'd need to recharge a car is much larger and correspondingly more expensive.

Archived