Saws - Chain and Pole

TLRam1

Some RV parks prohibit customers from trimming trees.  We have been to a few parks where I used loppers to cut back branches.  Both times I asked first.  One time at a park in Ohio a branch tore the roof membrane of my coach.  Glad I had a large piece of Eternabond and non-self leveling sealant to repair the tear.  I was a little pissed the park allowed branches to over grow at the sites.

8 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

Some RV parks prohibit customers from trimming trees.  We have been to a few parks where I used loppers to cut back branches.

I think that most private parks would get unhappy if you were to do this but they seldom have that sort of problem, but it does happen occasionally. You do need to ask first. I too have used loppers when in public parks like from the Corps of Engineers as they often have trees that need to be trimmed. I suspect that even they would not be pleased if they saw you out working on trees with a pole saw. 

1 hour ago, TLRam1 said:

Also do you use a electric chain saw for cutting up wood?

Very few places allow you to collect firewood today. For the rare situation of needing a saw I used to carry a bowsaw but stopped carrying it when we downsized 6 years ago and have not missed it. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

I can't imagine any private campground that would want you cutting on their trees. I've never found it necessary, but would certainly ask before even considering it. Most public campgrounds specifically prohibit cutting of trees, and firing up a chainsaw will almost certainly get you a visit from a ranger, if not law enforcement. 

Like others we've carried a small pruning saw and occasionally cut back a small branch at a volunteer site, but have gone years at a time without needing it. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

If you did a lot of boondocking in National Forests, it would be good to carry a saw.  A storm might cause a tree to fall, blocking the road you need to use to get out, in which case you might need to clear it.  Can't really see a need for one in regular campgrounds.

Regards

John

DON'T FEED THE VULTURES!

My Body is a Temple!  Ancient, Crumbling, Probably Cursed . . .

I Don't Like to Make Advanced Plans.  They Cause the Word "PREMEDITATED" to Get Thrown Around in Court!

MyMapS.jpg

Last year, in a TN county park I watched a neighbor cutting firewood with a gas powered pole saw.  His kid held the branch while he cut between the kid's hands.  Just the kind of person the campground maintenance people would want trimming trees...

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

This is one of my pet peeves about RV parks and campgrounds. They have a habit planting trees at the most stupid locations and then think a tree takes no maintenance. I refuse to trim trees with our rig! Either they trim them or I do. Over the last several years we have crossed off several nice parks where we used to stop because of lack of tree maintenance.

I carry a non electric pole saw and a bow saw.  Any branches I think will damage truck or trailer get trimmed.  Never had a park not allow me to do it when asked.  If they refuse I would ask them to do it or decide to leave.  My trailer is fairly new and I’m not going to damage it due to a park’s stubbornness.  If they refused a refund then would take pictures of obstruction and dispute charges with cc company.  Again though have never had it happen.  On edit should mention, if you camp much in the east like us, you will encounter branches needing trimming.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

14 minutes ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I would never carry a gas powered Stihl pole saw.:ph34r:

Only a SnapOn right?😊

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

9 hours ago, remoandiris said:

Some RV parks prohibit customers from trimming trees.  We have been to a few parks where I used loppers to cut back branches.  Both times I asked first.

I carry a lopper and use it after asking. If they say they will take care of it, I expect rapid response. The RV being over 13 feet tall, small branches can easily be managed if a big limp I look for another site. On cutting the limbs I have been told to wait until after xxxx and where to pile the limbs.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

4 hours ago, GeorgiaHybrid said:

I would never carry a gas powered Stihl pole saw.:ph34r:

LMAO!

Here's my ass:

DONKEY.jpg

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 9/29/2018 at 5:19 AM, SWharton said:

Where do you camp???

I don't currently but in the planning stages.

Good to hear most of the time this is not an issue, lots of expensive stuff on the roof along with damaging the RV, scratches, etc. I was thinking of the battery operated as they are quiet and light. I do understand firewood collecting is prohibited. Looping shears I didn't think about but still a battery pole saw should suffice for any situations. I would be boondocking a bit and no telling where I might end up and I do not want to sacrifice my unit for a branch.

Terry

I carry a hand saw and an 8 foot ladder.  I stay 99% of the time in  commercial campgrounds.  They have all said that they are big rig friendly.  I even inform them I am really tall as I have risers added to my 5ver.  If there is a limb in my way I just cut it. I do not want to damage my rig on there lack of maintenance.  So consider it a public service for tree maintenance.  If they ever confronted me, I would ask them if they would have rather me send them a bill for the damage?  As they stated that they were Big rig friendly and I even informed them about me being really tall. I have never hacked at a tree.  I give it a clean cut.  Better for the tree that way instead of my rig breaking something off.  I thin in almost 4 years now of full timing I have only had to trim a hand full of trees.

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

8 hours ago, TLRam1 said:

Good to hear most of the time this is not an issue, lots of expensive stuff on the roof along with damaging the RV, scratches, etc. I was thinking of the batter operated as they are quiet and light.

One of the problems that you would have is where to store it. Not only is a pole saw long but even the electric ones require the use of bar oil and you would also need a power cord and a power source. For most RVs in the majority of places people I know stay there is only an occasional need for such equipment and that only for an occasional small limb. If you take on major limb removal that needs a chainsaw you will probably get thrown out of the park at the least and a big bill at most. I have been a campground host for state, county, COE, and NPS parks and I know that doing much tree trimming without approval would get you a ticket in most of them. A small offending branch probably would not. If you read all of the posts it should be clear that this is not a serious problem. If you are camping on public land where camping is allowed but no campsites exist, you will not usually be allowed to trim trees there either. 

Remember that most public campgrounds are used frequently all season and while the trees may not always be trimmed back as far and as well as we may prefer, other RV owners have managed to use them without damage to their RVs. I can tell you from years of observation that the driving skill of the person who parks an RV plays a role in the vast majority of cases when an RV is damaged by trees when parking. It is the responsibility of the RV owner to not attempt to go into a place where their RV will be damaged. That type of problem is rare but it does happen occasionally and I have never heard of the park paying for repairs but the owner's insurance gets the bill. I have been campground host in a public park where a windstorm caused trees to damage vehicles in the park on 3 occasions, and in every case, it was the owner's insurance that paid for repairs. (Last summer my truck was one of the vehicles damaged by falling trees/limbs from a wind storm in an ND state park.) I also have a friend who was backing into a site by direction of a commercial RV park employee at night and in the rain and was directed into a tree damaging the roof. The park paid nothing at all, refusing to pay even the deductible. (He didn't get a lawyer and sue.)

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

That should not be "batter operated" but " battery operated ". The chain saw would not be for trimming limbs but if I brought wood with me. I am not a lumberjack, we are talking battery operated lightweight stuff. :) I am not out to start cutting down trees.

Terry

We have been in a couple of parks in pull  through spaces where the entry was easy but leaving would have meant damaging the roof. I went to the office and pointed out the trimming needed to make the turn OUT of the space. In both cases they were prompt in dispatching maintenance to trim the potential offending limbs. 

"Good" campgrounds, and this is my opinion, take seriously the potential liability issues and/or bad review potential of having overhanging branches damaging patrons RVs.  

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Archived