Passing a simi etiquette

runaway parents

Well went camping this weekend . Like a lot of you . Seems like there is always some body that that needs to pass you and cut you off. So I am looking for an idea for a bumper sticker .That describes proper simi Passing etiquette. Maybe something showing how much weight they are passing and how much crushing  force they  are dealing with at  70 mph. Any ideas ?

I saw a few about passing on the right. Do any of you have trouble getting back over after you pass? I seems just as I feel I am good to go someone zips by on the right. Every one is so inpatient. Maybe I give too much room but I hate it when a big vehicle just misses my front bumper so I assume most other do too.

I was thinking  a good sticker might be a picture of a elephant with "me"written on it standing on a broken "Donkey" with  "you" on it. Of course it would have to cover the entire back of your rig and be made from flashing neon for them to notice.

37 minutes ago, Lance A Lott said:

I saw a few about passing on the right. Do any of you have trouble getting back over after you pass? I seems just as I feel I am good to go someone zips by on the right. Every one is so inpatient. Maybe I give too much room but I hate it when a big vehicle just misses my front bumper so I assume most other do too.

I was thinking  a good sticker might be a picture of a elephant with "me"written on it standing on a broken "Donkey" with  "you" on it. Of course it would have to cover the entire back of your rig and be made from flashing neon for them to notice.

And even then, they likely wont see it because they are on their PHONE!!!!!

Marcel

This is a lost cause. Civility on the road is gone. So are the more important things like obeying the law. Between the increased congestion, time constraints made worse with ELD's, carriers mandating 65 mph trucks, the list is endless. 

If he is tailgating you, slow down and force him to pass. I don't have any real insight about what to do when 2 trucks are passing each other, one doing 64.555 and the other doing 64.888 mph, taking 5 miles to do so when there is a 25 vehicle backup behind them, and it is clearly against the law in all 48. Call the 800 number and get his tractor number, time, location etc and try to get him fired. 

Get a good quality dash cam, if someone cuts you off, save the film, if it is really unsafe don't be afraid to dial 911 and get the state police involved. 

Today's truck driver clearly is illiterate. Just visit any travel center and see how many of them are parked in the clearly marked NO PARKING zones. A clever bumper sticker alas will just be ignored or not understood,

Rant over. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Jeff,

Love to hear your perspective on things since you’ve been doing this for many years. You’re right civility is just gone in our world today. Also have a question for you,  I used to flash my lights when it was safe for driver to pull in front of me. Understand that is frowned on now by truckers?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

13 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Jeff,

Love to hear your perspective on things since you’ve been doing this for many years. You’re right civility is just gone in our world today. Also have a question for you,  I used to flash my lights when it was safe for driver to pull in front of me. Understand that is frowned on now by truckers?

Yup  correct me if I am wrong I believe it is illegal to flash your lights. its like waving a driver threw an intersection I think its a liability  issue ultimately it the passing drivers responsibility to know where his tail end is before  moves back into your lane. Big fiver what do you think am I  on the right track here.

On my truck, the front and rear ICC markers will flash when I hit the courtesy button. With the HID headlights in the off position, KW removed the option to flash the headlights by hitting the hi/lo beam stalk. Why they couldn't have just done a momentary flash to the high beam when the lights are off is beyond me so I just use the markers for that now.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

The flashing of the lights as a passing courtesy dates back to 2 lane roads, underpowered over loaded trucks with vibrating 5" round mirrors. Circa 1930's to 1960's. Modern trucks on modern highways don't really need it, and it can lead to some confusion. I have discontinued the practice except to indicate appreciation for a courtesy such as a truck who moved over and allowed me to merge safely.

I am reasonably certain there is no legal reason preventing the practice. The courts long ago ruled that flashing ones headlights to warn of a speed trap is legal, an extension of 1st amendment rights. This would be similar, although who knows what a clever lawyer could make of it. Hard to prove you did it, unless the other driver had cameras all over the place.

2008 Work and Play 34FK

Aggressive car/pickup driving habits should not transfer to big clumsy hdt - rv’s or any large vehicle. 

Awareness, anticipation, and constantly analyzing the situation will keep you out of situations and eventually become habits.

If I must pass (must not “can”) or change lanes my truck has a 4 wheeler eye level rear facing amber turn signal on the front fender, high ones on the back of sleeper, low ones on the rear skirt, one 1/2 way down the trailer at 4 wheeler driver eye level and normal rear trailer signals. 7 lights in all indicating I would like return to that lane.  Don’t normally have a problem. 

Stewing and fussing about traffic “in my way” means I should have left earlier. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

7 minutes ago, beyerjf said:

The flashing of the lights as a passing courtesy dates back to 2 lane roads, underpowered over loaded trucks with vibrating 5" round mirrors....

Jeff when did you see my truck? 😁

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Correct. Execute Smith System 5 keys to safe driving. HDTs are supposed to reduce stress.

2008 Work and Play 34FK

From a thread of our recent "migration-North" I have a couple of examples of folks that have been trying to "invite" us in their "personal-sucide-plan(s)...........

To Hell with Etiquette......these folks are playing a Hard BLOOD Sport and we are all "Players"  in their game.........Jeff is spot on that civil players are getting more and more rare........

When I get in a heavy rig I put on my Chicken panties because I really, really have NO desire to crush the little animals ......no matter how dumb they are or act.........Heavy truck running over a Viper is not a fair fight........

From Vegas to Fallon I can ALWAYS have to brake hard to allow someone that does not know how to pass NOT head on wreck........it can be a hellish highway.

I spend a LOT of time looking in my mirrors because often you can see the moron from a long way off on Highway 95  so I classify then as soon as the appear in the mirror..........

1)  "VIPER".......this guy has a sports car and he simply can NOT drive behind ANYTHING (including a Nevada State Patrol car).......so last week a few miles North of the Shady Lady B & B here appears a YELLOY VIPER at about Mach 3.2 and about a mile ahead come a Pete with a pilot car headed South with a HUGE CAT 15 FOOT Mine truck on a lowboy hooking along at about 60 mph..........my razor sharp mind calculated VERY BAD JUJU..........and sure enough the Yellow Viper speeds up to Mach 4.6 and I lay on full Jake and  about 55 psi service brake to start leaving a slight threshold set of Toyo stripes and the pilot car moved over to thye gravel and the Viper just pulled in front of me so close I could not see his license plate and the HUGE tire of the mine truck rocked the Viper as he blew past......I dialed 911 and reported the jerk and so did the pilot car and you know what about 12 miles up 95 low and behold there sits a yellow Viper and the cuffed moron was being "helped" into the back seat ..........I tooted the ole train horn and flashed the winkie-lights.......

I'll glady wonder back to wherever to sit in court to make sure the judge wacks the moron........

Thats the problem with Highway 95.........folks have a LOT of good passing road but simply cant drive for crap.

2) OLD U-HAUL.......so just past Armagosa Valley I am on cruse control 66 MPH with the toy hauler in tow and here comes a OLD former U-Haul truck gasser towing a 24 ft enclosed car trailer.............he crawls up behind the toyhauler on a down hill dip and then falls back as we climb up the upside of the dip so he obviously has very little reserve power........we come out on some level ground and have about a mile and half of open road before a red Volvo towing a big propane trailer arrives in the opposing lane, the U-haul pulls out and S L O W L Y pulls up about even with the side door on the toyhauler and then seems unable to gain anymore speed and a very slight grade simply kills his passing speed so then the Volvo flashes his lights and I say to hell with this and drop the hammer just as the U-haul hits the brakes and the car trailer starts swerving hard but in no time I have sprinted up to 80 and the U-haul weaves and wiggles back into his lane as the Volvo propane rig waved and shook his head as he drove by me...........

Highway 95 should be the best road in the US to pass on but it seems to have a lot of folks that are just horrible drivers......

Drive on............(Watch your mirror on Highway 95......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

1 hour ago, remoandiris said:

I think most people would consider it a political sticker, nothing more.

You are probably correct. I think anything that the poor drive could figure out the meaning too would probably just antagonize them any way.  Being mad wont make them a better driver.

I drove long haul for a number of years and still drive locally. Idiots in cars is just something you have deal with. Bumper stickers and loud horns don't do any good.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

When I signal a trucker that it’s safe to pull back into the right lane at night I turn off my lights twice, very briefly.  Most truckers seem to like that better than flashing brights and at least half flash thanks.  Canadian truckers seem to have no signals that I’ve detected, but then I don’t speak Canadian nor play hockey, so I may be missing something, eh?

John McLaughlin

2010 Volvo 730, D13, I-shift, singled and decked

2014 Lifestyle 38' Fifth Wheel

On 6/2/2018 at 1:53 AM, Jemstone said:

When I signal a trucker that it’s safe to pull back into the right lane at night I turn off my lights twice, very briefly.  Most truckers seem to like that better than flashing brights and at least half flash thanks.  Canadian truckers seem to have no signals that I’ve detected, but then I don’t speak Canadian nor play hockey, so I may be missing something, eh?

did you flash in both official languages?

2005 volvo 670 freedomline singled
Newmar Torrey Pine 34rsks
woot woot

Archived