Remedial Question - Air Governor

Av8r3400

You can.  The discharge hose for RV needs to be 12ft long and must always go downhill.  Once you find a spot that satisfies that, then the DRM tank it hooks to only comes in steel, is like 6 feet long, and is heavier than hell.  So it needs to be on something stout with a lot of room.  It isn't a fun job to do!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is the best dryer system out there

I respect your knowledge Scrap, but I'm gonna disagree with you on this one.  Just my personal experience...

http://www.meritorwabco.com/product/Air-Dryers/1200-Plus-Air-Dryer

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

Do tell of the experience.  I assume MCP version?  There is the 25-30% duty cycle gap where it has the edge.  Well not really an edge, AD-IS plain can't do it (yet) and 1200 Plus can.  I always like to pass along tales of saturation, goo, and failure to push development along...

But that is a good point as SS1200 Plus is another dryer that has a governor attached to it.  Very commonly found on Volvo's too.  I think the electronic governor started on this one with Volvo first a few years ago as well.  Point being, if you can't find your governor, get out your laptop.....

On 4/25/2018 at 6:10 PM, GlennWest said:

Yes, but with the former Freightliner Access site I can look up everything on my truck. It is on the dryer assembly. Purge valve is in bottom of it.

Glenn,

I salute you for tapping into "Access", I want you to know it is still available. Now it is Daimler "DTNA".

👍

Curt 

2001 Freightliner Century, 500hp Series 60, Gen 2 autoshift, 3.42 singled rear locker.

2004 Keystone Sprinter 299RLS (TT)

2 & 4 Wheelers!

2013 Polaris Ranger 800 midsize LE

Our motto "4 wheels move the body, 2 wheels move the soul!"

On 4/25/2018 at 9:53 AM, Av8r3400 said:

Taking note of Roger & Karen's issue with their "air-thingy" on the trip home, I have a remedial question:

I carry a spare Air Governor in case of similar problems, but I honestly do not know where the unit is mounted on a Volvo 730.  Can anyone point me in the right neighborhood of where it is on my truck?

Thanks in advance.

Something to think about, if you bought the truck used and do not have maintenance records.  If you change the governor, it is probably a good idea to change, or at least inspect, the purge valve.  Air dryer cartridge should be replaced as well.

Those are items that do not usually see a lot of preventative maintenance and are relatively cheap.

We are planning to do a preemptive strike on all three when the truck comes back from paint.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

31 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

Something to think about, if you bought the truck used and do not have maintenance records.  If you change the governor, it is probably a good idea to change, or at least inspect, the purge valve.  Air dryer cartridge should be replaced as well.

Those are items that do not usually see a lot of preventative maintenance and are relatively cheap.

We are planning to do a preemptive strike on all three when the truck comes back from paint.

Yup, that is what we do on any truck we acquire.....and a bunch more....  ;)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

48 minutes ago, Jack Mayer said:

Yup, that is what we do on any truck we acquire.....and a bunch more....  ;)

Well on mine it has only 315,000 miles. This air governor failure in my opinion is premature. But only had the truck in my hands for 6 days before the ECR trip. That being said still wouldn’t have had the governor, but would have had the smart to drive to get one. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

12 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

Well on mine it has only 315,000 miles. This air governor failure in my opinion is premature. But only had the truck in my hands for 6 days before the ECR trip. That being said still wouldn’t have had the governor, but would have had the smart to drive to get one. 

Roger

315,000 in how many years?

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

8 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Sure seems “funny” people seem to think $20 is to much to spend on a spare part that could put you “ down for the count”... and cost so much more with a possible tow and that $$$$$ shop time rate. Not to mention the possible safety issues associated with that “ side of the road thing”! This air governor should be in everyone’s spare parts box regardless of the age of the one on the truck. Oh and it would be very usefull to know to how to change it out. It’s pretty simple on most trucks. And if you never need it youself you might be in a situation to help someone else that has a failured air governor. More people should read and Learn from these posts. I for one would feel real silly to be broken down for a part I was told to carry as a spare. But some people seem to know better and disregard good advice and must have more money to spend then I do cuz they love spend it at the shop!

After reading and rereading this post I am starting to feel this is directed towards me not being prudent enough to carry the needed spare parts to keep my truck on the road for minor break downs.
That being said let me put your mind to rest on my thoughts and only my thoughts on how and what I need to carry on board to keep me and my family on the road, When I get the truck finished with the smart where I can load it and unload it, all parts will be available to me, still stuck on the side of the road, but I am able and capable of fixing most repairs myself.

In the times as this one I have Good Sam to get me out of the bind, and if they cant,  Visa or Mastercard can.

As I stated in a earlier post carry what you feel you need, and leave the people like me that don't have what you believe we need alone, cause statements like this is not constructive ( More people should read and Learn from these posts. I for one would feel real silly to be broken down for a part I was told to carry as a spare. But some people seem to know better and disregard good advice and must have more money to spend then I do cuz they love spend it at the shop!) 

I posted my road troubles to inform the members of just what your saying, carry the parts you feel you need, the tools to change them and the knowledge to diagnose the problem and do the repairs, that being said lets put this trash talking to rest please.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

4 hours ago, Cotreker said:

Where can I find instructions for the install? What are the symptoms when they Fail?

Go to the beginning of this thread and you will see some discussion about different locations for the air governor. There are some pictures showing a Gen 2 trucks governors location. Symptoms could vary, but it seems most failures of the air governor show up as a lack of air pressure building up to the useable range of approximately 120 psi. YouTube some videos explaining how the air governor works.  As for replacing the governor it’s pretty straight forward if you are handy with a wrench. Having the spare governor with the correct fittings already installed speeds up the process. 

On replacing, ours have Allen bolts holding it to the compressor. Be sure you have the required tools, some thread lube/tape, and an idea what you're looking for.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

• 1 month later...

Today's update on the air compressor not building air, 

Well it happened again last Friday as I was taking the truck to Thermoking to have a dip tube installed in the passenger side tank for the new Onan 12.5 that I am installing on the truck during the new box and hitch build, after a 15 min drive ( about the same drive time in Springfield) the air compressor would not build any air, got to Thermoking and low air light was on, so pumped the breaks to release the air and shut the truck off, waited about 15 min, the time to check in and started it up and it built air to 125 psi and all was good, Picked up the truck today and same thing happened, took it to FleetPride and the shop foreman said it was the unloader valve in the head of the compressor, as the truck would not build air then they did a quick look and confirmed the diagnosis, I never knew of a unloader valve in the compressor, but I need one, he stated about an hour labor on the DD15 and 50 bucks in parts, So who has replaced a unloader valve and who has one in the spare parts box?

Roger  

GCTaaehl.jpg

1 hour ago, Pat & Pete said:

I did google it, and I understand how it works, just was wondering how many other people on the forum has had to replace one. And it's not a road side repair so in the shop it is.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Archived