Debit card compromised

GlennWest

Posting here don't know where else should. Got a call yesterday from a fraud alert on card. We contacted our CU and someome in Indiana getting cash from our account. Got DW card. She buys product from Chewy.com and QVC. Don't know how they got it. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

9 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

If you'll PM me your debit card number and pin, I'll look into it for you.

Better yet.....just post it in the open thread.....

Drive on......(who's got the.....numbers)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Sorry to hear that, it stinx! 

I've had credit card numbers stolen/used twice. 

The companies changed my numbers and the charges.  As far as law enforcement, good luck if you try.  I did some digging, talked to one place it was used and they were able to identify the person.  The law was not interested in pursuing changes against him, was not a big enough crime to waste their time on.

I called one of the 3 credit monitoring places and put a hold on my credit so any card use I got a phone call first.  I think it was experion.(?)   I watched all my statements like a hawk for a long time, still do.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Our CU helping us. Got over 900 in cash before it was stopped. Was getting it from a Dollar General store. CU said money might be tied up for up for a while. We at a loss how they got it. DW more careful than I am. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 minute ago, NDBirdman said:

Sorry to hear that, it stinx! 

I've had credit card numbers stolen/used twice.  The companies changed my numbers and the charges.  As far as law enforcement, good luck if you try.  I did some digging, talked to one place it was used and they were able to identify the person.  The law was not interested in pursuing changes against him, was not a big enough crime to waste their time on.

Our ended up over a thousand miles from us. Reckon they sell them or something.

5 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Our ended up over a thousand miles from us. Reckon they sell them or something.

Mine had quite a distance on it.  I was deployed to Saudia Arabia.  I came home 6 months later with the wife all upset about credit card charges and threats because we were not making payments.  I dug through the statements, found a phone number and called it.  That company co-operated, did all back charges to remove the charges and also had the guys phone number.  I called the number, guy said yea, so what.  So what???  Idiot.  I live in ND, did then too.  That jackass lived in TX.  That idiot.... was not very happy when I realized who it was, I had served with him a couple years before.  A quick phone call to his commander.... well.... was not pretty for him!  His local law establishment was not interested in pressing changes, I wanted to but in the end, he got it good... hehehehe

Glad you got some $$ back.  Local cu up here, guy had that happen.  The cu would not help him, told him to prove it was not him spending the money they try to get it back. 

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

Thanks for the alert. A friend recently purchased from Chewy.com (but with a credit card). I called this friend and recommended she check her credit card statement just to be safe. My Discover Card was hacked a couple of months ago (seems to happen ~ every three years or so). I have since set my cards to send me an alert EVERY time a transaction is posted. I've also put a hold/lock on the three major credit reporting companies but, that means I have to lift/pause that freeze whenever I want to apply/buy something that requires a credit check (ie the new accounts I opened with T-Mobile & Verizon).

I had my debit hacked twice in a 2 month time period.  We narrowed it down to 1 store and time frame.  Like others said, the police were less than zealous to investigate even with security footage of the hacker removing the device from the fuel pump.  My card numbers were used in Ankara Turkey at a cell phone store.  and in St Louis at a JC Penny.  Both transactions took place within hours of each other.  Shazzam and the bank refunded us without question.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

As far as securing your numbers, if ya'll have ever told it to a vender/store over the phone, phone calls over cell phones can be listened to with a little bit of electronics.  Use it on the internet, even if on a secure site, you are broadcasting it all over the world.  Hackers have been doing this for years.  We still use ours on the web, but I put a very short daily amount on it.  When we travel, we have to increase it or we run out of gas money.... LOL 

I would never use a debit card to buy stuff online!  I always use a credit card; in fact, I go online, sign in to my cc account, and get a "virtual" cc number with a dollar limit that covers my purchase.  That way, if the number is stolen, it's not going to do anyone any good.

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

I have our Wells Fargo account setup to provide instant alerts for specified types of activity.  One of those is online and other "card not present" transactions, also all foreign transactions. If reported promptly most banks treat debit card issues in a manner very similar to credit card fraud.  The one time I had to do it with Wells it involved only one phone call which resulted in the reversal of the fraudulent charges, cancellation of the card in question and issuance of a new card (with expedited delivery).

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

I have had credit cards compromised the CC companies  were easy to work with the one time a bank  debit/credit  card was compromised  it was a  pia, now I try  to only use debit  card in a bank with a teller  when  on the road and never for retail purchases. I also  have all my cards setup to text me for transactions  over $100.

1999 Dodge QuadCab Diesel

2005 DesertFox 28KS

The toy is the wife's sewing machines

1992 Dodge Roadtrek 190 Versitile

"...traveled the same road as many..."

This happened yesterday. Notifed Last night. Card blocked last night. Getting new card today. Couldn't be any better satisfied with the handling of this. First time this has ever happened to us. 

2 minutes ago, SWharton said:

We only use a cc and are emailed with every charge on it, instantly. Love getting the email.

X2. I get 3, 5 or 6% cashback on the most common purchases like fuel and groceries. Pay the full amount every month. I do have an ATM card (no debit feature) from the credit union the has no charges at a pretty large number of systems, but with the ability to get cashback at Walmart and some other stores, I may only use it a couple of times a year. I have not found a need for a card tied directly to my bank accounts.

Cards can be skimmed, surfed, viewed (point of sale issues), lost, or they can get compromised by data loss at the processing company (for which there are actually very few).  You cannot prevent it.

What you can do is split your money between two banks.  Use one actively, use the other to transfer money over, as needed.  Then, when you do get compromised (and you will eventually), you have a backup set to get through the day or two it takes to resolve the issue.

(For travel, I have one or two cards in hand, and a backup set - plus a couple days of cash - in a lock box.)

This "split" applies to having two sets of bank accounts and two sets of charge cards.  Use actual credit cards when possible, not debit, as your protection is somewhat better, and they cannot draw your actual cash.

The thing to consider is we all are already paying for the losses and fees (via higher prices, and via charge card fees), so we may as well use the "insurance" they provide.

As a family, we have been compromised twice in the last few years.  One was a staffer at a quick serve restaurant.  The card was duped, and used rapidly at two drug stores (across the street, so there was at least one "partner") to get as many $100 money transfers out of the country as possible, until the limit was reached.  We got an alert as it was happening, and nearly caught it in time.  it was a charge card, so no harm to us as the bank resolved it nearly instantly.

The moral is not to use any instrument directly tied to your cash, take advantage of what you are already paying for and use charge cards.  There used to be (and maybe still are) card issuers who let you generate a unique card number for each online order, which for me, was "fun", but annoying, and did not increase safety or prosecution at all.

I have one cc for personal use. I use it once a month to buy a candy bar and pay it off the next day. Never had an issue with it.

I have a corporate credit card with a $20,000 limit. I spend thousands and thousands a month. It has been compromised 9 times in the last 7 years.

One of those times it was used to pay a T-mobile cell phone bill in Italy.

I use it online, over the net and in person a lot. I am surprised it does not happen more often.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

I average about 18 months between card numbers being compromised.  I receive text on all transactions on all cards immediately.  When standing in a store I have a text before the cashier hands me the receipt.  It is common for a bank to text me to check fraud on a transaction.  It has never cost me a cent.  I would never use a debit card anywhere except atm.  Average $7000 charges per month on numerous transactions, in person, online and telephone.

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

We don't use CC. Seen too many ruin financially

That is a problem with the user, not the card.  The $900 the scumbag took out of your account might be gone.  With a CC, you wouldn't have to pay fraudulent charges.  That is a significant difference.

On 4/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, remoandiris said:

That is a problem with the user, not the card.  The $900 the scumbag took out of your account might be gone.  With a CC, you wouldn't have to pay fraudulent charges.  That is a significant difference.

With all due respect this is incorrect.  Debit cards fraud is protected against under federal law in a manner totally analogous to the protections given for credit card fraud.  The following screenshot summarizes the federal rules regarding debit card fraud.  They apply regardless of what financial institution issues your card. 

The key to ensuring that you don't suffer a large loss is to report the loss of your card quickly which is why having automatic alerts is important.  But also note the footnote--even if the card is in your possession and someone uses your number, you still are protected.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

We were compromised several years ago and I asked the Visa CSC how long I  had to report a fraudulent charge and was told a year and was told a year. Biggest problem we have found when compromised is finding someplace to get the new card delivered the next day.

Archived