Question about joining Excapees club.

Worth

I'm retired and have been spending my time converting my 1987 B250 into a self contained camper. I plan to explore the Appalachians and East Coast for a while. I am looking into joining Escapees for the benefits they offer. As I lurk here in this forum it seems most are in large, fancy, RVs. How would I be accepted in a home built antique van? Be honest. Thank you all, Worth

More than welcome. Whatever you call "home" on the road doesn't matter so much as the lifestyle. We all face the same issues such as getting mail while travelling, internet, vehicle registrations and domicle issues, places to visit... all the way down to cooking tips and doing laundry while travelling.

Doesn't matter what kind of box you lay your head in at night. ;)

We've been warmly welcomed at every Escapees park we've visited, and made a number of lasting friendships with members we've met over the years. I don't think our 17 year old 34' gasser Class A qualifies as either "large" or "fancy" though. I've seen RV's of all shapes and sizes in the parks, including schoolies and other conversions. About the only commonality I can see in them is that all appeared to be pretty road worthy. I expect your conversion would attract some interest from other Escapees, but for the most part, I expect it would be genuine curiosity about your rig.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Welcome to the Escapee forums! We are always happy to have new folks join us and it really doesn't matter what sort of RV you have, or even if you don't own any sort of RV. 

1 hour ago, Worth said:

As I lurk here in this forum it seems most are in large, fancy, RVs. How would I be accepted in a home built antique van? Be honest.

If you think that all Escapees are in something to fit that description you have clearly misjudged the character of this group. Unfortunately, we do have some forum members who tend to bully those of us who don't have a diesel pusher or heavy truck rig, but as vocal, as some of them are at times, most of them mean well and think that they are being funny. The reality is that Escapee members can be found in all different types of RV and of pretty much every imaginable conversion. For myself, we were fulltime for 12 years in a 36' gas chassis motorhome with no slides, and we currently travel with a 2003 Dodge truck & 20' travel trailer. We know members who live in everything from a new luxury coach to a home van conversion and even one member who is fulltime in a pop-up travel trailer. No Escapee park has restrictions on what sort of RV you must have. The issue you bring up here is something that I have only observed on these forums and never in my years of travel as an Escapee member at any park or gathering. We have stayed in nearly all of the RV parks and we have attended many gatherings of club members and have never experienced any feeling of social division. With a large number of members as the club has, it is inevitable that there will be a few who feel the expensive RV that they own makes them better than those in more humble rigs, but they are a small minority and often become the outcasts of a gathering.  As a member of staff for Escapade (the big annual rally), we have one of the smaller, less impressive RVs in the staff area, but there are others of the staff with older, cheaper rigs. Mark Nemeth, long time tech writer/advisor travels in a gas powered, restored, small class C that is about 25 years old! 

Believe me when I tell you that the misfits of our group at member gatherings are those who believe that they have social status based on what they own or who they know. Most of us try not to hold what people own, financial status, political or religious beliefs,  or job titles against them whether humble or of high stature. Either the top or the bottom can be very lonely, but most Escapee members include everyone.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, Worth said:

I'm retired and have been spending my time converting my 1987 B250 into a self contained camper. I plan to explore the Appalachians and East Coast for a while. I am looking into joining Escapees for the benefits they offer. As I lurk here in this forum it seems most are in large, fancy, RVs. How would I be accepted in a home built antique van? Be honest. Thank you all, Worth

Welcome to the forum, Worth.  If you scroll wa-a-a-y down the opening page, you'll come to the RV Types section, and click on Class B which would fit your conversion van.  We have a Phoenix Cruiser which is technically a Class B+, but looks and acts like a Class C; so we scroll down the opening forum page a lot.  Look forward to seeing you there.

Jeff and Suzanne with Scout and Sydney, the Cocker Spaniel Sisters touring in Fawkes the 2012 Phoenix Cruiser 2400 Sprinter

"What happens in Vagueness, stays in Vagueness"

8 hours ago, Worth said:

Welcome aboard Worth!! My vehicle of choice is approaching 20 years old and have never felt like anyone is "looking down" on us because of its age. My advice is to enjoy every minute and mile of the journey and don't give a thought about what anybody else thinks about your ride!!!

Actually the majority of members are blue collar retired people mixed in with a few high priced rigs. You will be very much welcomed. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

I think what you will find if you stay in any of the Escapees parks or Co-ops that others don't care what RV you have or what your past life was they will just welcome you as a fellow Escapee (SKP) RVer.  I definitely recommend that you do stay in their parks. It's a great experience and a good place to get any kind of help you may need. Welcome!

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Welcome! You won't even have the distinction of having the oldest such vehicle. We camped with a couple that is full-timing in a 1973 (!) Dodge conversion van. Usually we have the oldest coach (ours is a 1993), but they beat us by 20 years. True, theirs is a factory conversion, not home-made, but still it is unique unusual. While we were with them they met a single lady who had a twin to theirs at Wal-Mart. She came over to the campground and we had quite a gathering around the two "antiques" and lots of good conversation.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

3 minutes ago, Worth said:

Will be joining Excapees

We are happy to have you! If possible, consider joining us in Sedalia MO May 27 through June 1 for the annual Escapade! It would be a great way to get acquainted with fellow members and to learn about our club. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Trust me. If they let me in, you have no worries.  :blink:

I've always been of the thought that just getting out there is the important part. Homemade or top-of-the-line, it's just fun to camp!

2015 Forest River Rockwood Signature Series Ultra Lite 8289WS w/ Diamond Pkg.

2014 RAM CTD 6.7 Tradesman 4WD Crew Cab Long Bed  😀

Honda eu2200i generators

Daisy May, the Golden Doodle Wonderdog

There are a few commercial/private (read "snooty") parks that have age and/or size limits on RVs. Those are places many of us don't stay, anyway.

Back in the mid-'70s I ordered a full-size Chevy van (I guess that's redundant since they weren't making "mini" vans back then) with just the front seats and spent several months making a Class B out of it. You should have seen my wife's face when I drew rectangles on the sides and pulled out a skill saw with a metal blade to install the RV windows. You wouldn't believe the number of #8 screws and drill bits I broke on that hard steel installing the interior paneling and furniture, too!

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

On 3/29/2018 at 11:22 AM, Second Chance said:

There are a few commercial/private (read "snooty") parks that have age and/or size limits on RVs. Those are places many of us don't stay, anyway.

I was looking at a campsite this year and they stated since my 2007 5vr is over 10 years old I cannot reserve a lakefront (too easily seen from the entrance).  I need to reserve another site.

David

Archived