California Bob tailing

Vegas Teacher

Yes I know I need to read the book for California but can those who have traveled through give me some advice first and save me some time an effort of reading the rules and regulations for that state.

Also is Bobtailing all one word or separate Bob tailing? Sorry I don't know, I am ignorant.

So in a couple weeks I am traveling to Fontana California, to do some dog training. I am going to Bob tail over. Pamela, my wife, and Oldriska & Viggo our German Shepherds. (not an English teacher my punctuation in that last sentence was awful please forgive me.) Anyway I am headed south on 15 from Vegas and I have to go through the agriculture inspection stand. I don't have a way around it, unless I go over to Parhump then over to California. Anyway Is there anything special I should know. My glad hands are capped and my 5th wheel is gone. I do not have a D.E.F. tank, is that an issue? Also when on the highway, am I limited to 55 mph and only driving in the far right lane? Is there anything else anybody can tell me with out me have to read the manual or just save me a few hours of scratching my head and saying what in the @#$% does that mean.

Thanks!

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana 

43 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Yes I know I need to read the book for California but can those who have traveled through give me some advice first and save me some time an effort of reading the rules and regulations for that state.

Also is Bobtailing all one word or separate Bob tailing? Sorry I don't know, I am ignorant.

Typically, one word.

So in a couple weeks I am traveling to Fontana California, to do some dog training. I am going to Bob tail over. Pamela, my wife, and Oldriska & Viggo our German Shepherds. (not an English teacher my punctuation in that last sentence was awful please forgive me.) Anyway I am headed south on 15 from Vegas and I have to go through the agriculture inspection stand. I don't have a way around it, unless I go over to Parhump then over to California. Anyway Is there anything special I should know. My glad hands are capped and my 5th wheel is gone.

Ag inspection stations don't give a whiz about anything outside of foreign pests. 

I do not have a D.E.F. tank, is that an issue?

Only if you're either commercial, or trying to import into Cali.

Also when on the highway, am I limited to 55 mph and only driving in the far right lane?

How are you registered in Nevada? MoHo, or private truck, or commercial? How lucky do you feel? How big of an inconvenience is 55, vs 70? Even with your size, you're a minnow in the Pacific, given the volume of traffic on Cali roads.

Edit to Add: Bare frame rails "appear" more commercial than a custom bed, done in the Hauler style. Still a fairly remote chance of LEO involvement.

Is there anything else anybody can tell me with out me have to read the manual or just save me a few hours of scratching my head and saying what in the @#$% does that mean.

Thanks!

Later,

Vegas Teacher - Cory Ossana 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

You are not restricted to 55MPH as a truck, only vehicles with a trailer are speed restricted.    The AG inspection is going to want to see the vaccines on the dogs.     There are lane restrictions in California, all 3 or more axle vehicles except buses stay in the outside two lanes unless exiting or a sign says "trucks OK"

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Not Cali specific, BUT...  I always follow signage such as lane control marked either excluding or requiring trucks to travel in those lanes, in ANY type of RV or travel trailer.  Those type restrictions have far more to do with the size of the vehicle and traffic flow for safety reasons than whether you are commercial or not.  Yeah, an RV might not have 3 axles, but you are far safer in the truck lane.  For example they are not restricting trucks by keeping them in the outside lanes just to be mean, it is to keep dumbass drivers from pulling stupid stunts dodging between trucks and other large vehicles as they enter and exit and causing accidents.  And in many states the lanes in construction zones are wider on the lanes marked for trucks, and yet you see some dumbass in an rv (there are a few) trying to squeeze down the car lane in construction with the mirrors practically scraping the walls because he doesn't to get stuck behind the trucks.  Also, in general, you will learn that those truck drivers are FAR more skilled and predictable to drive near than the average car driver.  Run with the trucks, do what they do, you will learn a lot.  And have fun up there on the big road.

I went thru the inspection on I 15 the other day.  I was pulling my trailer and they just waved me thru.  As to speed limit, I'm not sure if you are tandem or not, but a two axle truck bobtailing can do the posted speed limit for autos.  If you are tandem and bobtailing then you have to do 55 MPH same as if you were pulling a trailer.  If you notice, must of the time when you see a sign that says trucks and auto pulling trailers 55 MPH and the next sign will say vehicles with 3 or more axles must do 55 MPH.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

If you are reg'ed truck you are limited to 55 if you have 3 axles or more.....the roadside signs will confirm that for you. Any "truck"with a modified bed, delivery box, or gvwr greater than 11,500 for personal use would need to stop at scales. Truck is exempt from emissions if it is used solely for towing a house trailer. As mentioned above, the bug station doesn't care.

Good reason to not come here for sure.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Caltrans article with links to CHP http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/weigh-stations.html

edit - I had another coffee and re-read the article. It appears that "commerical vehicles" (as defined) are required to report - whether they are being used for commerical or private use. 

I have contacted the CHP regarding my specific truck/trailer- see what they say. 

What if omg! I have to stay away with my Big Rig and only travel Californy by motorcycle... :o  

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

10 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Did you go through the “truck” lane?

No, I went thru the lanes for cars and motorhomes.  I looked at the sign and it said Commercial truck lane.  Seeing that I'm not Commercial I used the regular lane and waited for the person to ask me questions about any produce or the truck itself.  But no, he just looked at me and waved me thru.

"It is better to have more truck than you need than to need more truck than you have"

2001 Volvo 660, Cummins 400 ISX, Eaton 3 Peddle Auto Shift    
2014 Fuzion 40' Toyhauler
2015 Smart Car                                                                                                                                                                          

10 hours ago, dennisvr said:

No, I went thru the lanes for cars and motorhomes.  I looked at the sign and it said Commercial truck lane.  Seeing that I'm not Commercial I used the regular lane and waited for the person to ask me questions about any produce or the truck itself.  But no, he just looked at me and waved me thru.

Hi dennisvr - was this at a weigh scale or Ag inspection station?

On 10/9/2017 at 1:36 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

You are not restricted to 55MPH as a truck, only vehicles with a trailer are speed restricted.    The AG inspection is going to want to see the vaccines on the dogs.     There are lane restrictions in California, all 3 or more axle vehicles except buses stay in the outside two lanes unless exiting or a sign says "trucks OK"

Steve

ive NEVER been asked about vaccines on my dogs when either bobtail or pulling my 5er with my volvo. my 2 dogs ride with me. ive been in and out of Cali a number of times with my setup and never once asked about my dogs. usually waived thru or asked about produce. im registered as private truck out of SD.

Good luck and enjoy yourself.

Fulltimer Class of 2007

1998 Volvo VNL64T610 Detroit Series 60 12.7 470HP/1650TQ Eaton 18spd 228"WB Tandem
2006 40' ToyHauler 3 slides and a 14' Toybox

Perhaps they don't ask but, if you look at the web page it lists what the may ask for.

https://www.cdfa.ca.gov/ahfss/Animal_Health/FAQS.html

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

On 10/10/2017 at 6:11 AM, noteven said:

Caltrans article with links to CHP http://www.dot.ca.gov/trafficops/trucks/weigh-stations.html

edit - I had another coffee and re-read the article. It appears that "commerical vehicles" (as defined) are required to report - whether they are being used for commerical or private use. 

I have contacted the CHP regarding my specific truck/trailer- see what they say. 

What if omg! I have to stay away with my Big Rig and only travel Californy by motorcycle... :o  

I received a phone call this afternoon from CHP re my email inquiry - the officer told me all flatbed trucks private or commercial must report to weigh stations.  

Pickup trucks as defined by the code (the typical pickup box with tailgate) are exempt. I don't have a pickup licensed over 10,000lbs so I didn't get any further "what if" info. 

Archived