6 x 6

Vegas Teacher

So has anybody gone crazy out there and built a 6 x 6 and added a drive train to the front wheels? This is just how my mind works - bigger and better traction especially if I go just a little off of the beaten path. Not crazy I know these things weigh a lot but just a little extra traction here and there.

I know this would be custom, just a thought.

Plus I am a science teacher and I am always asking questions and looking for things to modify or experiment with LOL! Still looking for that perfect VLN 780, tandem, D13, I-shift, work station, Fridge, Diff Lock, Interlock and APU. I guess I should throw in the sun and the stars at the same time LOL!!!!

Later,

Vegas teacher

I've been involved with some 14,600lbs to 23,000lbs front drive axle class 7's and 8's - if you light spec for RV pullin make sure your dentures are glued in and momma's upper undergarment straps are cinched up :o

A better solution maybe would be Tire Boss tire pressure control from Tire Pressure Control International in Edmonton, AB Canada

http://www.tirepressurecontrol.com/

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Not sure I would want to pull my RV anywhere where I needed a 6x6 and the fuel mileage on the road would be really bad, not to mention the ride. I wouldn't mind having one on a GXV style motorhome though to hit some of the Deserts of Texas and some of the BLM lands.

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

I've been involved with some 14,600lbs to 23,000lbs front drive axle class 7's and 8's - if you light spec for RV pullin make sure your dentures are glued in and momma's upper undergarment straps are cinched up :o

A better solution maybe would be Tire Boss tire pressure control from Tire Pressure Control International in Edmonton, AB Canada

http://www.tirepressurecontrol.com/

This comment brings back memories of pulling with an MDT, particularly driving the truck solo. When describing the ride I used to "suggest" that the truck was only suitable for folks with total artificial dentures so you could remove them before undertaking a solo drive. Never thought of suggesting that momma cinch her upper undergarments up, the suggestion might be taken up but not before one was served a whack on the noggin.

They make a front axle conversion for class 7-8 trucks.

It uses hydraulic portal axles as I recall and about $30k

For conversion kit.

Much lighter than a true ring in pinon axle also better ride.

This might be the setup...

http://www.tdsdrive.com/ez-tracaxle/

Doug
Frequent "lurker"
Occasional poster
First step towards the RV setup complete: 1 smart car

So has anybody gone crazy out there and built a 6 x 6 and added a drive train to the front wheels? This is just how my mind works - bigger and better traction especially if I go just a little off of the beaten path. Not crazy I know these things weigh a lot but just a little extra traction here and there.

Plus I am a science teacher and I am always asking questions and looking for things to modify or experiment with LOL! Still looking for that perfect VLN 780, tandem, D13, I-shift, work station, Fridge, Diff Lock, Interlock and APU. I guess I should throw in the sun and the stars at the same time LOL!!!!

Later,

Vegas teacher

I once test drove such a vehicle. The ride was painfully rough. Considering I spend about 99% on the hard road and about 1% on dirt roads, I opted for a "kinder" ride.

I routinely take my HDT and 5'er on dirt roads and I was initially was concerned. I am singled short. When on these dirt roads, I drive at "walking speed." The engine just idles me along. I do not get into soft, mushy sand. After a rain, I drive my Rhino (or walk) the road and inspect it, before I take the rig on it.

One of the major benefits of the HDT as we use them is comfort. Sure, safety is THE major thing, but comfort is a close second. I'd not give up the comfort for a 6x6. If you feel you NEED the all wheel drive I'd stick to a super pickup and a smaller trailer. Everything is a tradeoff, and this is one tradeoff that is not worth it, IMO - both for the comfort and the cost.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Later,

Vegas teacher

Teach,

OMG you have flashed me back to my "child-slave" childhood........

Grumps came back from a heavy equipment auction with a...........OSHKOSH 6 x 6 and this made every other truck you ever saw look like a tinker toy........the darn sun-vizor's were 1/2 inch steel plate and everything was HEAVY....

The BEAST had TWO .......HUGE Garwood winches with 1 1/2 wire rope that could drag a fully loaded log truck up a cliff at idle.....

It had a 220 cummins straight stack right in front of the windshield and only had forty speeds forward (5 +4+2) and a bunch of speeds in reverse but don't worry the drivers were planetary's with low range about 15:1 so no need to fear speed ........unless you were going down a hill.

The rig was "limited" to 200 tons but I fear it was almost at it's limit when grumps loaded it full of tools and dozer parts.

The "springs" said "Baldwin" and they were 1" thick X 6 " wide and stacked 18" high......even with 200 tons these 'springs" never EVER flexed.....

Did I mention the Beast had arm-strong power steering....trust me you had to have STRONG arms the steer the Beast.

The interior was "classic" steam locomotive ....... shifters were every where ...one five speed stick....one brownie shifter (four speeds) , one transfer case engage stick.....one low range stick......THREE sticks for the front winch....THREE sticks for the back winch.....THREE sticks for each PTO.......

The drivers windshield wiper was air driven but the passenger side had a hand crank that was as heavy as a crow bar.

One day out in the woods I backed the Beast into a boulder bigger than a smart car.......it broke the boulder into pieces.....not a dent in the beast.

In the winter the beast had TEN tire chains on it out in the woods and it would push snow until you could not see out the windshield ........

Teach, I think maybe you should search around and find a Osh......by gosh ........it would be a heck of a project for the kids and.....they will never forget the ride.......I haven't.....

Drive on.......(Oshkosh......Girlie Truck....NOT)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

This is what I love. I knew if I threw a topic out like this people would send fun things my way. I know I will always remember my grandpa's '46 chevy 1 1/2 ton grain truck with a dump bed on it. Double clutch and all.

But I figure each of us who has the balls to want a semi to pull a travel trailer has thought Well what if..............

From the responses I can see that is true. Keep the pictures, videos and stories coming!

Later,

Vegas Teacher

Wow thanks for posting.

I've driven a superduty on pismo NO way I would take a HDT out there.

I've also had my HDT stuck in the sand out in the desert, hopefully never again ??

We had to unhook my trailer and then winched the truck out with my early Bronco a milemarker 8500lb winch double snatch blocked and 2 trucks hook on the back for anchors.

Archived